IKEqC AS41 Rules & Regs

    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2006
      Unto the equestrians of the known world does Mistress Marguerite du
      Royon, (new)Inter-Kingdom Equestrian Competition Administrator, send
      warm greetings!

      Today, May 1st, is the start of the new IKEqC year. The victor in
      last year's AS XL IKEqC competition will be announced shortly, and
      Donwenna or I will then send the final scores out to the Kingdom
      Chroniclers and KEOs for publishing in their newsletters.

      Many, many thanks to Donwenna and Sandor for all of their work with
      IKEqC over the past several years. Their past and ongoing efforts
      have enabled all of us equestrians to compete in this annual
      tournament, regardless of which Kingdom we hail from - a truly noble
      and worthwhile endeavor!

      Attached for your use are the NEW AS XLI (41) rules and regulations in
      .pdf format. These have also been placed on the IKEqC website in Word
      format, at:
      http://www.animalhospitalonmidway.com/scaikeqc_index.html
      I will send out and post the new year's score sheets as soon as possible.

      Most of the content is the same, and has been reformatted for ease of
      reference. There are however some rules changes that you will need to
      become familiar with, including (but not limited to :-) :
      - this year's championship games are rings, reeds, and heads
      - heads scoring has been simplified (no more conversion tables)
      - reeds spacing has changed from 21'4" to just 21'
      - birjas has been added as an experimental game

      Even if you've played IKEqC for years, take a moment review the new
      rules and double check your equipment & weapons before the new tourney
      season. Also, please cross post this missive to any SCA equestrian
      email lists I have not posted it to already.

      If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me:
      Marguerite du Royon
      (MKA Rachael Keish)
      2855 Agua Vista Drive
      San Jose, CA 95132-2102
      Home/fax: (408) 272-2582

      In service,
      Mistress Marguerite du Royon, OP
      IKEqC Administrator AS41 & AS42
    • Donna DeBonis, DVM
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2006
        www.scaikeqc.org
        Still does work, so you don't have to change your links ;'>

        Wonderful job, Marguerite, for getting the regs up for all of us!

        Ever in Service,
        THL Donwenna La Mareschale
        www.lanceofstanne.com
        nothing." - Edmund Burke

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2006
          UGH! "HEADS" AGAIN?

          I'll have to break it to Jester that it's time to do the cha cha
          again ... listen closely and you'll hear his lower lip hit the stall
          floor with a resounding THUD! A THUD heard all the way to the Mists!

          Hey Anton .... can I borrow your horse? (evyll snicker)

          Juliana of Avon

          <snip>
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2006
            >>> UGH! "HEADS" AGAIN?<<
            Yeah, well, for all of the people that groan about heads being back
            in, there are all those people on the other hand who were diappointed
            to see the only game that involved manuevering and time go away.
            (sigh)

            But I'm happy to take all feedback and input for next year's
            competition now! Ya can't please everybody all the time, but the
            more people I hear from the more I'll know what people like & don't
            like about IKEqC, and the more we can improve the competition.

            Just think - there's still birjas (the new experimental game) and
            archery that could be thrown into the mix for AS42, not to mention
            spear throwing that could be an option in the future (you throw the
            spears into targets on haybales - we did this at Gulf Wars and
            Estrella and it was a blast).

            Or if I *really* get wild, there's always the 'stick a target to a
            jouster's chest and score a game with grease paint on our styrofoam
            tips' option, but I think we'd need to test run that to see if it
            would work before I'd introduce it as an experimental game. :-)

            If anyone has any suggestions or other ideas for IKEqC games in the
            future - particularly for period games, which heads very definitely is
            not - I would love to hear them!!
            :-),
            Marguerite

            On 5/1/06, juliana_of_avon <la3luna@...> wrote:
            > UGH! "HEADS" AGAIN?
            >
            > I'll have to break it to Jester that it's time to do the cha cha
            > again ... listen closely and you'll hear his lower lip hit the stall
            > floor with a resounding THUD! A THUD heard all the way to the Mists!
            >
            > Hey Anton .... can I borrow your horse? (evyll snicker)
            >
            > Juliana of Avon
            >

            > <snip>
            > > - this year's championship games are rings, reeds, and heads<snip>

            > This is not an official SCA email list.

            > This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Qorin Borajin
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2006
              Heads is the best of the IKeqC games in my opinion, since it
              provides the most opportunity for you to do some good work with your
              horse.

              Despooking -- bending -- handling weight shifts -- lead changes...

              I think it has a lot more to offer than the other games, though
              adding in a barrel at the end for cornering and a second row of
              heads on the way back -- rather like the way CMS does their basic
              balloon course -- would make it even better... and what would
              *really* be neat is if there was a paper ribbon 7' off the ground at
              each end that you had to make it under. (Both horse and rider have
              to duck those swinging pikes). That would really force some nice
              focus on how well the rider can control their balance and how well
              they are with their horse. (Asking the horse to get soft and drop
              the head while maintaining the forward pace while the rider is
              ducking too.)

              ...okay, so mebbe Phooka and Jester would need the ribbon to be 8'
              off the ground ;)

              That's my $0.02...

              --- Qorin ---

              --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Rachael Keish" <rachaelo@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2006
                Definitely heads in the most challenging for the horses, and I think
                people often underestimate just how difficult it is for horses to do,
                and riders.

                After all, riding instructors spend *YEARS* teaching young horses and
                riders how to handle their weight - and that really means up until the
                horses are 4-5 years old! Let alone the riders who can make it easier
                (or MUCH more difficult) for the horse depending on how in practice
                they are and how good their seat/balance is. I know these are English
                terms, but the same principles apply to Western.

                So just going at it on a horse that is rarely asked to do tight turns
                and change leads (or counter canter, which may be faster but is also
                extremely difficult balance-wise) is asking alot more than many riders
                realize.

                Just my $0.02. Practice, practice, practice!
                :-), Marguerite

              • juliana_of_avon
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                  IMO - Playing "Heads" on a light horse is a BLAST! Doing it on a
                  DRAFT is freekin' challenging. It is doable but the majority of
                  draft riders are deterred from the advanced 21' Heads game simply
                  because the physical design of our horses are not up to the job -
                  too large, slow, lack the balance/condition, muscling and talent to
                  DO IT.

                  Most pure heavies are deigned to walk/trot down the field in a
                  straight line with their neck in a collar. Cantering a tight bending
                  pattern for a draft is a real CHALLENGE! It's like trying to turn a
                  Ford truck around in a small area. (People who drive Fords
                  understand this problem :-O )

                  21' Heads is created for light horses and those of us who forge
                  ahead and compete on our drafts are at the disadvantage. We have to
                  make points up on the other games [ :-O] . I tip my hat to people
                  who can train and compete 21' Heads on a draft. I know it takes me 6
                  mos of legging-up on trails, dressage lessons, reining drills and
                  bending/suppling to get my old man back in the Heads game.

                  Jester and I be out there ... Urg! We show no mercy as we blaze some
                  of the slowest times in IKEC history ... We will see you little
                  donkeys out there and if we hear any whining from you donkey jockeys
                  about not being able to get your little runts through the course at
                  the canter, then expect the razzing of a lifetime! <evyll snicker> :-

                  All in good fun,

                  Juliana