Fwd: [SCA-Jousting]Longer cardboard tube supplier found

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
      FYI, from the SCA-jousting list: Folks are organizing to buy longer 7
      ft. cardboard tubes en masse in case Isolde approves them. Email the
      organizer if you are interested.
      ;-), Marguerite

      From: "Andrew Lang" <ajlang@...>
      2. Re: Cardboard tubes part II
      From: Dave Wise <drwise@...>
      3. Re: Cardboard tubes part II
      From: "Andrew Lang" <ajlang@...>
      4. RE: Cardboard tubes part II
      From: "Duane Wilkey" <duane@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:03:28 -0500
      From: "Andrew Lang" <ajlang@...>
      Subject: Cardboard tubes part II

      I apologize for y'all who get this twice. I just wanted to make sure
      everyone got this info.

      I got an email back from Yazoo about the tubes (Alexis I have yet to
      get a quote back on the 7' versions you mentioned).
      Here are the quotes in quantity:
      75 - $1.54/tube
      150 - $1.15/tube
      200 - $1.05/tube
      250 - $1.00/tube
      I have interest for about 200 tubes. That means we could get the
      tubes for $1.05 each. However, shipping to me comes out to about .50
      cents/tube. So that puts the price to $1.55. Add on top of that
      shipping to final destinations (for the non-local folks) and I am
      guessing the final price will be somewhere between $1.80-$2.00/tube.
      They ship in cartons at 45/carton. I *may* be able to get them to
      ship full cartons out to different destinations. I will find this
      out.
      Alexis also brought up that if longer lance lengths are allowed, we
      may want to look at longer tubes. I am not sure by Isolde's email
      whether a single length that long will be allowed or not - but it may
      be something to keep in mind for the future.
      Here is what I have so far:
      Logan 10
      Blue Run Farms 50
      Alexander 8
      Richard & Ellawin 6
      Lora 10
      Elisenda 20
      Brighid 10
      Ingolf 30
      Wulfric 50
      Yaasamiin 12
      Alexis 12

      I've contacted Yazoo about breaking up shipments and longer tubes. I
      will let you know when I hear back from them. Let me know if y'all
      have any additional thoughts.
      Thanks,
      Wulfric

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:36:47 -0600
      From: Dave Wise <drwise@...>
      Subject: Re: Cardboard tubes part II

      Hi Wulfric,
      Thanks again for taking care of this. If it is easier to break out a
      carton at a time, I could go ahead and just get a carton of 45. That
      way I can get them out to our folks here in Ansteorra (that could spawn
      a whole series of tube jokes ;-) ). Especially if the 7' tubes are
      available and approved for use, since that is not something that we are
      likely to be able to find locally.

      With regards,
      Alexis

      > I apologize for y'all who get this twice. I just wanted to make sure
      > everyone got this info.
      >
      > I got an email back from Yazoo about the tubes (Alexis I have yet to
      > get a quote back on the 7' versions you mentioned).
      > Here are the quotes in quantity:
      > 75 - $1.54/tube
      > 150 - $1.15/tube
      > 200 - $1.05/tube
      > 250 - $1.00/tube
      > I have interest for about 200 tubes. That means we could get the
      > tubes for $1.05 each. However, shipping to me comes out to about .50
      > cents/tube. So that puts the price to $1.55. Add on top of that
      > shipping to final destinations (for the non-local folks) and I am
      > guessing the final price will be somewhere between $1.80-$2.00/tube.
      > They ship in cartons at 45/carton. I *may* be able to get them to
      > ship full cartons out to different destinations. I will find this out.
      > Alexis also brought up that if longer lance lengths are allowed, we
      > may want to look at longer tubes. I am not sure by Isolde's email
      > whether a single length that long will be allowed or not - but it may
      > be something to keep in mind for the future.
      > Here is what I have so far:
      > Logan 10
      > Blue Run Farms 50
      > Alexander 8
      > Richard & Ellawin 6
      > Lora 10
      > Elisenda 20
      > Brighid 10
      > Ingolf 30
      > Wulfric 50
      > Yaasamiin 12
      > Alexis 12
      > I've contacted Yazoo about breaking up shipments and longer tubes. I
      > will let you know when I hear back from them. Let me know if y'all
      > have any additional thoughts.
      > Thanks,
      > Wulfric

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:22:00 -0000
      From: "Andrew Lang" <ajlang@...>

      Alexis,
      They will break out shipments by the carton (45 tubes). She says
      shipping is more expensive since it is no longer considered a single
      shipment with the carrier. It still may be cheaper than double
      shipping, however.
      She also gave me prices on the 7' tubes. The prices are as follows:
      25 - $3.25/tube
      50 - $2.09/tube
      75 - $1.70/tube
      The 5' tubes were $1.54/tube at 75 - so the price difference is
      pretty negligible. The only gotcha with the 7' tubes is that due to
      their length they have to be palletized and sent as freight and the
      shipping charge could be quite a bit more.
      I am not sure if everyone would want to wait for Isolde's rulling on
      the tubes - and change to 7' if she ruled favorably and shipping
      wasn't horribly expensive - or just go ahead and order the 5' ones.
      Let me know what y'all think.
      Regards,
      Wulfric

      --- In SCA-Jousting@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wise <drwise@...> wrote:

      > Hi Wulfric,
      > Thanks again for taking care of this. If it is easier to break out
      > carton at a time, I could go ahead and just get a carton of 45.
      That
      > way I can get them out to our folks here in Ansteorra (that could
      spawn
      > a whole series of tube jokes ;-) ). Especially if the 7' tubes
      are
      > available and approved for use, since that is not something that we
      are
      > likely to be able to find locally.
      >
      > With regards,
      > Alexis
      >
      > > I apologize for y'all who get this twice. I just wanted to make
      sure
      > > everyone got this info.
      > >
      > > I got an email back from Yazoo about the tubes (Alexis I have yet
      > > get a quote back on the 7' versions you mentioned).
      > > Here are the quotes in quantity:
      > > 75 - $1.54/tube
      > > 150 - $1.15/tube
      > > 200 - $1.05/tube
      > > 250 - $1.00/tube
      > > I have interest for about 200 tubes. That means we could get the
      > > tubes for $1.05 each. However, shipping to me comes out to
      about .50
      > > cents/tube. So that puts the price to $1.55. Add on top of that
      > > shipping to final destinations (for the non-local folks) and I am
      > > guessing the final price will be somewhere between $1.80-
      $2.00/tube.
      > > They ship in cartons at 45/carton. I *may* be able to get them
      > > ship full cartons out to different destinations. I will find
      this out.
      > > Alexis also brought up that if longer lance lengths are allowed,
      we
      > > may want to look at longer tubes. I am not sure by Isolde's
      email
      > > whether a single length that long will be allowed or not - but it
      may
      > > be something to keep in mind for the future.
      > > Here is what I have so far:
      > > Logan 10
      > > Blue Run Farms 50
      > > Alexander 8
      > > Richard & Ellawin 6
      > > Lora 10
      > > Elisenda 20
      > > Brighid 10
      > > Ingolf 30
      > > Wulfric 50
      > > Yaasamiin 12
      > > Alexis 12
      > > I've contacted Yazoo about breaking up shipments and longer
      tubes. I
      > > will let you know when I hear back from them. Let me know if
      y'all
      > > have any additional thoughts.
      > > Thanks,
      > > Wulfric

      Message: 4
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:07:55 -0500
      From: "Duane Wilkey" <duane@...>

      Hi Wulfric;

      To make shipping easier I can see my way to a full order of 45.

      Let me know when you want the $$$.

      Alexander

[...]

      Medieval
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1
      =Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament
      &c=2&s=79&.sig=c7SkmNTkV-TglPCmup7cOA> and renaissance costume
      Medieval
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament
      &w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournam
      ent&c=2&s=79&.sig=zNdfqLV2oyfXCdr6oOi6Sw> time dinner and tournament

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      * Visit your group "SCA-Jousting
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Jousting> " on the web.

      _____

      [This message contained attachments]

    • henrikofhavn
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
        From: "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
        Date: Sat Apr 1, 2006 11:08 pm
        Subject: Call for riders to ride in Battle of Hastings reenactment
        in England, mid Oct. henrikofhavn
        Offline
        Send Email

        As some of you may know, there will be held a reenactment of the
        Battle of Hastings on the 940th anniversary of that famous battle.
        It will be held on the weekend of October 14 & 15, 2006, at the
        original battle site near Hastings, in southern England.
        Participation in the battle reenactment is open to anyone ( male or
        female) worldwide! The only requirement is each participant wear
        clothing, armour and carry weapons that are specific to that
        historical event. Since there is no currently acceptable historical
        evidence that women participated in the battle, all participants of
        the reenactment must dress and participate like men.

        English Heritage, a British Governmental institution, is paying for
        all the production costs associated with this event, including
        liability insurance and rental of up to 150 ( or perhaps more )
        english stunt horses. As such, English Heritage sets all acceptance
        standards for participation. This is a public show with an expected
        audience of 15,000 people per day, with ticket sales receipts going
        to help fund English Heritage's annual conservation and restoration
        efforts of historical structures and artifacts in England.

        Folowing is the most recent comments regarding riders already
        registered as wishing to ride in this event:

        "
        Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:43:49 +0100 (BST)
        From: Sandra Orchard <orchardse@...>
        Subject: RE: String hauberk?

        Assuming that Alan can afford the same number of horses as EH hired
        last time
        (and we don't know that until all the sponsorshp deals have been
        completed), we
        do not yet have enough riders registered to fill all the saddles,
        even assuming
        they all pass the riding test. If that is the case by the end of
        summer,
        additional riders will be recruited from other Societies and will
        not have the
        full kit necessary. It will be these riders who will be wearing
        whatever can be
        begged, borrowed or, if necessary hired at short notice, not those
        who will be
        playing starring roles (including dehorsing) in front of the crowd.
        No Society
        can come up with 20 or 30 spare mail shirts at 2 weeks notice,
        however, if
        someone has a fully authentic, and spare mail shirt they can make
        available for
        hire, please let me know. Given a choice EH would also much sooner
        their entire
        cavalry was correctly kitted out and I'm sure would be interested.

        Sandra "

        In this statement, Sandra Orchard (one of the staff hired by English
        Heritage to organize the various reenactor groups and individuals
        wishing to participate in this year's reenactment of The Battle of
        Hastings)was refering to the October 2000 reenactment (in which I
        participated, riding "King" the horse Mel Gibson rode
        in "Braveheart")where only 100 horses were rented for the event.
        What she is saying is that some number less than 100 people have
        registered as wishing to ride as of this date. It sounds like this
        is well less than 100, so if 150 are to be found to ride, a lot more
        riders are going to be needed!

        I can tell you that 100 horsemen divided up into 4 conroys of 25
        each looks a little skimpy among the expected 3000 reenactors. It
        would be much better to have at least 150 riders if not 200 or more.
        A few people will trailer in their own horses from nearby, but with
        Mad Cow disease worries and high fuel costs, I don't think there
        will be many privately owned horses there.

        So now for the reason for this posting ===

        How would YOU like to participate in the most fun historical
        event??? And do so on a fine English steed that probably has seen
        more medieval action than any horse you know???
        It's easy! Just say so and tell the organizers you want to do it.

        Go to the folowing site for general participation registration and
        information: http://hastings.vikingsonline.org.uk/

        Go to the folowing site to REGISTER TO RIDE and get EQUESTRIAN
        information:
        http://hastings.vikingsonline.org.uk/process/horsesub.htm

        The details of your participation as a rider are approximately the
        folowing:
        a) You will need at least a linen (blend is ok) overtunic ("T"
        tunic style), non-modern pants of linen or wool that is cross
        gartered or other period fashion,period or non-modern looking ankle
        high or shorter shoes with flat soles or low heel.
        b) No visible glasses or tatoos ( contacts are fine) or modern
        jewelry.
        c)Although some loaner Norman helms may be available, plan on
        having your own if possible. They can be lightweight, as long as
        they look period in shape and metal finish and color.The helm should
        have no neck or face coverings other than a nasal bar. Borrow one
        from a friend if you can't get your own. You should have a mail hood
        to wear under the helm (but a fabric one will likely be acceptable).
        d)You will need a shirt of mail. It should be knee length
        although mid thigh may do, and it should have half sleeves at least
        to the elbow. You should wear a sword scabbard with a hilt sticking
        out of it. It should be a whole sword if possible, but if you don't
        draw it, who will know?
        e)You should have a lightweight (1/4 inch thick - or heavier if
        you prefer) kiteshield with a neck strap (guige strap) to hang it
        from your left shoulder.It should have at least a wrist strap that
        you can slide your hand through so you can handle the reins, while
        it hangs from the guige strap over your shoulder as you ride. It
        should be curved if you can manage it, but flat will likely be
        accepted.
        f)If you wear spurs, they should be simple prick spurs. (the
        horse supplier may tell you not to wear spurs on a particular horse)

        g) COMBAT from horseback will be from Conroy formation in ranks
        of twos or columns of twos. Just follow orders and keep with the
        group. Contacts with the enemy reenactors will usually be simply
        thumping your spear tip against their shield, if you can get that
        close. Mostly it's advancing and withdrawing in formation between
        but after advances and withdrawals of the various groups of infantry
        (ON YOUR SIDE) with a lot of waiting at the bottom of the hill in
        between. You will have a clear path to ride over since Your Enemy
        stays in place at the top of the hill for the whole battle. The
        battles run about 2 to 3 hours or so each afternoon of Saturday and
        Sunday.

        There MAY be some loaner shields as well as loaner helms, but try
        not to count on that. The SCA has thousands of borrowing
        posibilities.

        h) If you can, bring a 10 foot spear with a blunt steel tip.
        You can make a two piece shaft from a sleve of copper 1 inch (or 1
        and 1/4 inch) pipe about 6 inches long with a dowel that is sized to
        fit inside snugly. Find the desired handle location on the finished
        spear and mark the center of the hand grip. Then make a steeply
        DIAGONAL cut on the shaft so it seperates into two pieces, at the
        center of this location. Now slide the two cut pieces into opposite
        ends of the 6 inch copper tube so they line up with the cut surfaces
        touching each other inside. Drill two cross holes about 1/2 inch
        from each end of the tube through the tube and wood inside. Now fit
        two threaded bolts with nuts through these holes to keep the spear
        together and remove one to sepreate the pieces for transport in a
        ski bag or fishing pole case ( or other case) on airliners. The
        copper can be covered with string or leather to make the handle look
        period.
        Note: There is a strong likelyhood that spears will be available for
        loan at the event, since they had about five dozen to loan at
        Hastings 2000.

        THE DEADLINE FOR REGISTERING was yesterday, March 31, but I think
        they will accept them just a few days late.

        More specific information is available from links through the listed
        sites.

        Hope you can join me at Hastings this year!

        Henrik of Havn