Re: [WestKingdomEQ] horse barding

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2006
      I've had good luck using the pattern in West EQ Handbook attachments, but instead of making it in two pieces, using one blanket style piece with a slit for the girth.  This has fit both Eglish and western saddles, and horses that vary in size from the 14-something hand mare I lease (Brandee - small Quarterhorse) to a 16 something hand Tennesee walker, and at least two other rental horses in between.

      I didn't cut the caparison (body barding) on the bias or used stretchy fabrtic, but I did do a mock up out of cheap cotton and cut the hem to fit when trying it on the horse. For the hood, I made a mock up from the suggested measurements, then cut the eye and ear holes extra large so that it would fit a number of mounts.  The hood will fall on the bias because of the shape of the pattern.

      Do you have a hard copy of the handbook attachments? They are too big to post to the website or group, since the .pdf file of them is  HUGE, but we're hoping someone with Acrobat writer can take some time to parse the massive ingle file that I have on CD into something more manageable.  Any takers?
      ;-), Marguerite

      On 1/7/06, Henrik Olsgaard <henriksd5@...
      > wrote:

      I just used a horse blanket that fit the horse to a reasonable degree to start with. Fabric stores sell pattern paper ( has dots every one inch in two directions) that you can use to draw around the blanket to get a paper pattern from. bardings which stop at the base of the neck are easiest to fit to various sized horses. Just join the sides at front and back with heacy string or thong ties through eye;lets or gromets placed there. If you want to cover the head and neck, that gets a bit trickier, but just roughing out a trial pattern using cheap fabric will work. Keep in mind that the snugger the item on the horse, the more  you have to design the pattern to accomodate all the movements a horse is liable to make, such as reaching down to the ground to nibble on that irrisistable blade of grass, which will tear most tight coverings unless they are very stretchy. Cutting the fabric on the bias for this helps, or you could always use elastic tape to tie up the joins or edges. Then it will stretch a bit and prevent some tearing.

      Remember to leave room for saddle rigging and stirrup leathers, as necessary. If you expect to use it on a single horse , fit it to that horse, but if you expect to have different size horses to put it on, then make it to fit the largest, and take a tuck under the saddle to fit smaller horses. You can also make a front half and a back half, then overlap the two under the saddle to have space to locate the girth and stirrup leathers, as well as being able to shorten it for a smaller horse.

      Good luck,

      Henrik

      From: "Haley" <haleyroseb@... >
      To: WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] horse barding
      Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:18:49 -0000

      soes any one have any suggestions on how to make patterns ect????any
      and all are welcome. Thank you
      Haley

      This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

      Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • dkarp@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2006

        Or you can go to Suitability.com and buy one of several different horse blanket patterns, some with hoods.  Suitability is a cheap and a reliable company.

        Siobhan n S

        Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>

      • Kimber Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2006
          Hi all, we are getting out of horses. (Financial reasons). We have a 16.3 hand 1500# 6 yr old percheron QH cross black gelding. He has been in dressage training for the past few months and has started flying changes and shoulder-ins. He would be an awesome SCA horse or eventing, dressage, jumping horse. We are asking $6,000 OBO. He is a real love. He does all the normal stuff: tie, trailor, bath, shoer, vet. No vices. Sound, currently barefoot and doing great. Up to date on everything.

          -Kimber