Book: In The Saddle, was Re: Saddle Question

  • vixensmistress
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
      Happy New Year! With my Christmas money, I decided to buy several of
      expensive academic books about the history of saddles, harness, and
      wheeled vehicles. One book on my list was published a year ago
      (October 30, 2004,) and I eagerly await its arrival.

      Lauren Gilmour,
      In The Saddle, An Exploration of the Saddle Through History. 2004.
      ISBN: 1-873132-89-1
      <http://www.jgpubs.com/saddle.html>

      ...The authors of the present volume, which is based upon a conference
      held in 2002 at Saddlers' Hall in London, explored rare books and
      manuscripts, private and fine art collections, archaeological
      fragments, museum stores and family records to piece together this
      account of the historic antecedents of the English astride saddle and
      the parallel development of the side-saddle... saddle survival
      depended upon a coincidence of care, neglect and good fortune. The
      conservation of several of these rare survivals has made it possible
      for their hand manufacture and original decoration to be described and
      illustrated for the first time. This book describes how collaboration
      between archaeologists, restorers and experimental riders...

      Joe Back in his book, Horses, Hitches, and Rocky Trails, claims that
      the McClelland saddle is perfect for making pack saddles, though a
      McClelland pack saddle wouldn't look too period.

      I have pack saddles on my mind because I recently finished documenting
      and re-creating a 16th century pack saddle. (A typical SCA period
      pack saddle doesn't look like the "sawbuck" pack saddle one associates
      with the American west.) In the process of documenting period pack
      saddles, I learned that the medieval side saddle is more closely
      related to a pack saddle than it is to a period riding (astride) saddle.

      I chose a pack saddle as my first period saddle to reconstruct because
      it appeared to be the least complicated. I still need to make some
      panniers (saddle bags). There seem to be an endless number of pannier
      types to chose from. Grin. In the future, I want to make a period
      cart saddle.

      Anyway, I would be happy to exchange bibliographies with you and to
      discuss our mutual experiences with making period style saddles.

      Lady Rachel of Bhakail