  • Dianne L Karp
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
      Yeah but out here, the news is always reporting 60mph winds on the east coast as 'news'.  Out here '100mph gust over the ridges' are reported with the same 'ho hum' as 'sunny' (Reno gets about 340 sunny days a year)

      It is not so much the 60-100mph steady winds (hours and hours of hearing the wind inhale then blow constitutes a steadiness factor in my book), it is the fact that we ahve had rain, rain and more rain for 10 days with at least 3 separate wind storms - the last one lasted 2 days, 1 day west to east and one day south to north.  It blew down all sides of my NEW backyard fence - put in with cement and steel poles.  The fence panels were still attached to the posts and the post were still in the ground - bent 90 degress so the panels were laying on the gorund!

      My ins adjuster had to come out and see - she had never heard of steel posts bending in the wind - neither had I!!!

      Connor was knocked down yesterday by a corrigated steel panels (3X17) which had come out from under the ;ong iron poles holding them on the ground - I was standing on the 2 which had already flown and tried to attack my horses in the pasture.  More fun than we signed up for.  He is bruised and scraped but OK.  SAys it felt like being blindsided by a pike.  I know the feeling - the 2 day wind strom had fiberglass panels flying and one hit me in the back of the head, knocking me down as I was trying to rescue the horses from the rest!  Big heavy chucks of iron are supposed to hold flat things _flat_ on the ground - grrrrrrr

      SnS

      On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:18:45 EST Poneez02@... writes:
      In a message dated 12/29/2005 3:52:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dkarp@... writes:
      60mph winds - all day.
      Those are just tropical storm force, gotta be at least 74 mph for a Trimarian to even bring in the lawn furniture ;-)

      Actually, I feel your pain, high winds really suck and we have way too many of them in the Gulf Coast states.

      Brenna

      Duc, sequere, aut de via decede - Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    • Kellyn Firesinger
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
        Dear Siobhan:

        *Now* I remember why we didn't check out the Reno area
        when we were looking for our retirement home!

        Hope you both (and the horses) live through this OK.

        -- Kellyn Firesinger, in damp but fairly peaceful
        Washington state

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Dianne L Karp
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
          Thanks. After the 4 feet of snow last Dec and Jan, - I never thought I
          would be _wanting_ snow. But we've had nothing but wind and rain for a
          month now - a little snow would be a welcome break! Of course, if all
          this rain _had_ been snow, we'd ahve about 6 feet in the yard and I'd be
          complaining about shoveling again.

          Some people do not know when they are well off - guess I'll keep the rain
          (for now).

          SnS