Re: Golden Lance Treaty/Proposal

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
      Dowenna wrote:
      > I guess what I find compelling about the whole discussion is to
      look at the big picture and see what we equestrians have accomplished
      over the course of 40 years in the SCA and compare that to what the
      Rapier community has done in a lot shorter time. Obviously the archers
      saw the correlation. Having fought the battle on the corporate level
      to retain equestrian activities and to get the BoD to 'allow' us to do
      more, I can see how a 'universal award' would give us the widespread
      recognition and support and credibility we certainly need.

      Else replied:

      And on that note let me give you the rapier perspective on the white
      scarf treaty. If Staffan is lurking, maybe he will chime in too.

      It's important that you know that there are kingdoms other than the
      West that still have not signed the white scarf treaty. The Middle and
      the East among them. To the best of my knowledge, all kingdoms that
      have rapier have some sort of grant level award. At more and more
      interkingdom events the distinction is becoming Grant-level award
      rather than OWS. I don't know if archery is having that same
      experience.

      Even in the Kingdoms that have signed the WS treaty, not all standards
      are equal. Some kingdoms have focused on prowess as the most important
      trait, others recognize teaching and service with a certain base level
      of prowess. The core component that makes a good white scarf is
      leadership. That doesn't mean that they all have it. I think the
      success of rapier owes more to the individuals that wore the early
      scarves than the scraps of silk themselves or the fact that more than
      one kingdom awarded them.

      I started playing in a kingdom with White Scarves. I learned to fence
      from two wonderful white scarves. All the other people who taught me
      at that time now have White scarves. However, I don't want to see the
      West sign the WS Treaty. Having a non-WS GOA has allowed, WK Rapier to
      implement WK policy and WK solutions, while still interacting on equal
      footing with other kindoms at interkingdom events.

      The website for the treaty points the need for equestrian to interect
      with peers and puts forth this award system as a way for that to
      happen. I certainly don't see a shortage of peers as a problem for WK
      Equestrian. If in most of the kingdom you can't swing a dead cat
      without hitting a Peer, in the stables, you can't swing a dead rat.

      If the desire for the community is to have an equestrian based grant
      level award, then request that the Crown create one. Find individuals
      who embody the traits expected of a GOA level armiger and have a
      special expertise within the horse world and reccomend them to the
      Crown. Explain to the Crown the breadth of equestrian activities.
      Like Archery, equestrian may need two awards. One for ridden prowess
      (jousting, MCC, IKEQ). One for more general period equestrian
      knowledge.

      Else
    • Viscountess Gwendwyn the Silent
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
        Dear Else,

        While I'm not Staffan, I do wholeheartedly agree with your assessment!
        Very well put.

        Excellent suggestions as well. I would also urge those of you that
        notice your fellow riders exhibit mounted skill-at-arms, leadership,
        service and creativity to write to the Crown and Coronet with your
        recommendations.

        Yours in Service,
        Gwendwyn, Deputy KEO
      • dkarp@juno.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005

          What Else said.  In some kingdoms, the awards system is much more like the Boy Scout badge system than what we have in the West.  I'd like to keep it that way.  We all do what we do because we love doing it, not so as someone will hang a dangelly on our chest.

          SnS

          Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>