boffer crest practice

  • Bob Orser
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
      I should think one could practice quite meaningfully by sitting on chairs or stools a suitable distance apart, wearing helms with the crests & other needed protective gear, and engaging with the usual boffer swords.  When I've watched this event, I've noticed relatively little movement by the horses (you aren't dashing past each other as in a cavalry charge), so the conditions are somewhat similar at least.   You could alter distances & body angles (e.g. defending against a blow at maybe 8 O'Clock from your facing position, etc.)
      When the moves become familiar, even second nature, and the muscles are conditioned for the movements, then you can devote more attention to manuevering your mount when riding, rather than having to focus so heavily on relatively unfamiliar sword movements.     If anyone tries this, let me know how it works.
      Sorry I can't come this weekend either;  got to do morris & longsword dancing & help burn Guy Fawkes at the annual bonfire at Jack Russell English Farm Brewery up in Camino.  This is the 400th anniversary of Guy's attempt to blow up King & Parliament in the famous Gunpowder Plot, and he's still getting roasted every November 5 (or nearest Saturday, anyway).
        - Robert of Dunharrow

    • Patti
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
        In regards to:

        > When the moves become familiar, even second nature, and the
        muscles are conditioned for the movements, then you can devote more
        attention to manuevering your mount when riding, rather than having
        to focus so heavily on relatively unfamiliar sword movements. If
        anyone tries this, let me know how it works.

        I LOVE to see these comments being made over and over. In many
        aspects most of the games we play need this practice to develop,
        condition and make the movements of a second nature.

        When I asked Marguerite about horse movement in the MCC Game, she
        did comment that movement is fine. It is obvious that the MCC game
        is not like fast-paced "Bastons" where the horses gallop side by
        side. I do not think it would be out of line for a MCC rider to use
        their horse as a defensive move - thus reining out of an attack to
        regroup a few feet away!

        Due to their (Jester and Avalon) familiarity with each other. This
        weekend Steve and I were able to use the horses offensively, coming
        in much closer to get an advantage at each other's crests. I hope at
        some point all our horses become familiar enough with each other
        that the game will not trigger the equine need for space. As we camp
        and play they all start to bond. The rental string horses will be
        more willing to play this game with their own herd ... I suspect we
        will have "issues" between the private and rental horses simply due
        to herd mechanics and not pushing the envelope for safety reasons.

        Julianna
      • Qorin Borajin
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Patti" <la3luna@y...> wrote:
          > ...I hope at
          > some point all our horses become familiar enough with each other
          > that the game will not trigger the equine need for space. As we camp
          > and play they all start to bond. The rental string horses will be
          > more willing to play this game with their own herd ... I suspect we
          > will have "issues" between the private and rental horses simply due
          > to herd mechanics and not pushing the envelope for safety reasons.
          >
          > Julianna

          Does anyone have any hard data on how polo people cope with this
          issue? They have the same problems, a similar concern for safety and
          much stronger driving competitive needs. (There's a lot of money on
          the table!) I wonder what their techniques are.

          At one of the colt starting clinics I was at, we flagged all the colts
          around the arena together for a few minutes after they were saddled
          but before we started working to give them a chance to develop a
          little bit of a herd order while still having a primary activity to
          occupy them so that when things got a little crowded later on we'd
          have less kicking when one colt accidently bumped another.

          Regards,

          --- Quorin ---
        • Henrik Olsgaard
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005

            Henrik of Havn

            From: "Patti" <la3luna@...>
            To: WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: boffer crest practice
            Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:06:42 -0000

            In regards to:

            > When the moves become familiar, even second nature, and the
            muscles are conditioned for the movements, then you can devote more
            attention to manuevering your mount when riding, rather than having
            to focus so heavily on relatively unfamiliar sword movements. If
            anyone tries this, let me know how it works.

            I LOVE to see these comments being made over and over. In many
            aspects most of the games we play need this practice to develop,
            condition and make the movements of a second nature.

            When I asked Marguerite about horse movement in the MCC Game, she
            did comment that movement is fine. It is obvious that the MCC game
            is not like fast-paced "Bastons" where the horses gallop side by
            side. I do not think it would be out of line for a MCC rider to use
            their horse as a defensive move - thus reining out of an attack to
            regroup a few feet away!

            Due to their (Jester and Avalon) familiarity with each other. This
            weekend Steve and I were able to use the horses offensively, coming
            in much closer to get an advantage at each other's crests. I hope at
            some point all our horses become familiar enough with each other
            that the game will not trigger the equine need for space. As we camp
            and play they all start to bond. The rental string horses will be
            more willing to play this game with their own herd ... I suspect we
            will have "issues" between the private and rental horses simply due
            to herd mechanics and not pushing the envelope for safety reasons.

            Julianna

            This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

            Medieval and renaissance costumeSociety for creative anachronismMedieval time dinner and tournament

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
              >>The rental string horses will be more willing to play this game with
              their own herd ... I suspect we will have "issues" between the private
              and rental horses simply due
              to herd mechanics and not pushing the envelope for safety reasons.<<
              I think it more depends on the horse's attitude than whether they are
              rentals or not. True, Jerry's/rental horses are already very used to
              one another, but any horse can have issues with another horse on any
              given day. So we just have to play it by ear the day of the event and
              acclimate the horses to each other as best we can. (Lucky for me
              neither Canon, the rental I usually ride, or Brandee, the mare I lease
              & bring to events, appear to have a dominant bone in their body!)

              In the case of a MCC tourney, if the horses are clearly not okay with
              a certain pairing, we may have to designate someone to fight 'byes' or
              something. So far we haven't had this situation come up except in an
              authorization setting where the particular horse/opponent pairing
              didn't matter - but it bears considering in advance how organizers
              will handle this, so the participants can know up front.

              >>I do not think it would be out of line for a MCC rider to use their
              horse as a defensive move - thus reining out of an attack to regroup a
              few feet away!<<
              Definitely- maneuveing the mount is a huge component of MCC. As long
              as riders are careful not to swing the rear end of their horse towards
              an opponent (and do not charge per the handbook), the fighting field
              is fair game.
              ;-), Marguerite
            • dkarp@juno.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005

                Oddly enough, Kazar - who never offers a bit of lip to any other horse - in the lyst or in his paddock with new horses when folks come to visit with thier horses (or arena when we turn ALL the horses out together in the am at an event) - laid his ears back and charged poor Basil on Sun when I tried to put the 3 geldings together.

                Back into the pasture by himself for Basil until he went to Lynns!

                SNS
                Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>

              • Kellyn Firesinger
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 20, 2005
                  Unto the list do Kellyn Firesinger and Hugh Piper send
                  regards.

                  Alas, time draweth on, and we must leave this week for
                  An Tir, stopping at Sacramento for Thanksgiving and
                  the Golden Rivers feast. By Dec. 1 we hope to have
                  arrived at our new home in Battle Ground, WA, half an
                  hour north of Portland, OR, on the northern edge of
                  Vancouver, WA.

                  We will miss you all, and will remain on this list to
                  keep up with events in the West. However, we will be
                  living close to Mistress Ilaria and Sir Edward Ean
                  Anderson (the jouster with Polish armor), so we may
                  have more opportunities to learn horsemanship than we
                  had in the Bay Area.

                  It has been amazing to watch the progress of the
                  equestrian arts from its beginning at a Mists Coronet
                  a few years ago to the full-blown jousting displays at
                  June Crown and Cynagua Fall Coronet this year. You
                  are an inspiration to the whole SCA.

                  Good luck, and keep up the good work!

                  -- Kellyn Firesinger, frantically packing

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 20, 2005
                    Best of luck, Kellyn! Say hello to everyone up there for us!
                    ;-), Marguerite