Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Mists Coronet -- Jousting on the Lists Field, and other Eq activities/info

  • Autumn Cardone
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2005
      I just found out that there will be water for the horses on site. This will not be water that people would want to drink, but should be safe enough for horses.

      Don't forget to bring water to drink for yourself!

      -- Collette

      Autumn Cardone wrote:
      I finally have email again. (I have been off-line for a month with my computer down.) I am frantically trying to catch up on email.

      If you sent any email directly to me in the last month, it is probably gone, as I downloaded it onto my computer just before my computer ate its hard disk.  :-(

      So, Mists Coronet:

      Their Highnesses have asked us to hold a Jousting demonstration on their Lists Field, Saturday morning, before the fighting begins. (This will be much the same setup as we had for Crown.) These invitations are great opportunities for the Equestrian College to show our stuff and share the pageantry of having horses at events with the rest of the SCA.

      If you will be able to participate at Mists Coronet, either with the Jousting Demo (mounted or ground crewing) or with the games later in the day, please respond to the pole:

         Mists Coronet Poll for WestKingdomEQ

      If you are bringing horses to Mists Coronet, let me know what types of activities you would like to have set up: IKEqC, jousting, boffer crest combat. Just email the list, or me.

      Things you will need to know for bringing horses to Mists Coronet:

      Last I checked, there was no water on site. Horses are said to drink about 12 gallons of water a day. (I haven't found mine to drink this much, but I have finicky Arabs who won't drink funny tasting water -- and I haven't been able to replicate the taste of built up algae, apparently.) I will double check the water availability, in case the situation has changed and send an update as soon as I find out.

      You will need to bring your own corral/stabling setup.

      Other than that, the normal stuff about camping with horses/bringing horses to events stays the same.

      If you have any questions, feel free to email me, or call.

      In Service,

      -- Collette
      home: 408-241-2273
      cell: 408-655-0571
    • Bjorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2005
        Just wanted to recap on the event. Wow it was great. The site ( for
        some of us coming in at 3am :(.. was foggy, but I am sure for those
        of you who got in at 9pm it was equally as foggy.. But in the
        morning we awoke to a wonderful view of the mountains and a short
        ride put us above the Russian river which I doubt Phooka had ever
        seen the like of, because he was very interested in what the heck
        was that

        We set up late-ish for the Jousting demo, which was run with much
        applause and interest. The boffer combat was equally interesting
        with Margarite actually winning the round for Colletteļ!( sorry for
        the name misspell). Phooka and JackJack did great on the eric and
        were non pulsed by the clapping, people or flags. Also a note on
        the water, there was only a tub of water (110 gallons) at the site.
        I am sure if we wanted to drive over to the RV area we could have
        filled up our portable tank. We should try to clarify water = water
        supply(ie faucet).

        We rode out early Sunday morning and did the games ( rings and
        reeds). I must mention that Jon was a great help, as always. I
        think Mack came out winner that day as Phooka and I were struggling
        against the darn wind.. yeah that¡¦s it, the wind caused us to miss
        that last reed!.. The site also proved helpful to work with Phooka
        on going down hills as he has a tendency to speed up as he goes
        down. There was also some very lush grazing which helped everyone¡¦s
        spirits.

        We did get to do some trail riding as the site was large and
        spacious. This a major plus in future horse attached events. I
        also had entered the silver spoon contest in which I was trumped by
        a actual salad, but I plan to attempt another sortie into the fray
        at the next event. We also had misshaps on the minature horse side
        and the large horse side with lead rope tangling. Next event
        (without paddocks) Oogie and JackJack will get the electric
        paddocks. ¡V Live and Learn

        I also figured out why one never mounts, in a dress... (lucky for
        me, no one was looking)...

        Bjorn of Novgorod.

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Autumn Cardone
        <autumn_cardone@m...> wrote:
> [...]
        > > and I haven't been able to replicate the taste of built up
        algae,
        > > apparently.) I will double check the water availability, in case
        the
        > > situation has changed and send an update as soon as I find out.
        > >
        > > You will need to bring your own corral/stabling setup.
        > >
        > > Other than that, the normal stuff about camping with
        horses/bringing
        > > horses to events stays the same.
        > >
        > > If you have any questions, feel free to email me, or call.
        > >
        > > In Service,
        > >
        > > -- Collette
        > > home: 408-241-2273
        > > cell: 408-655-0571

        > > This is not an official SCA email list.

        > > This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button
        which
        > > replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and

        subject=Unsubscribe>