Analysis of the horse in Medieval Warfare

  • Qorin Borajin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      One last link for a while:

      Bernard Bachrach's discussion of some details of the medieval
      warhorse based on an analysis of surviving documents:

      http://www.deremilitari.org/RESOURCES/ARTICLES/bachrach3.htm

      Personal note: I had Bernie Bachrach as professor for Introduction
      to Medieval History lo these many years ago. I can testify that his
      obsession with minute detail transcends this paper... My roomate
      Alastair had to estimate the consumption of arrows and other
      logistical minutia during Aetius' campaign against the Huns for
      Bernie's class. (Doh!)

      Try not to laugh too hard when you get to the section where he's
      making blanket statements about the necessity of grain in a horse's
      diet, especially in light of modern equine nutrition and of the
      evidence that the Mongol and Hun armies travelled on grass.

      As part of Intro to Medieval History, we had to review several
      accounts of the life of Charlemagne while he drew conflicting
      pictures from them on the board. He emphasized the pitfalls of
      relying too heavily on the correctness of chroniclers' accounts at
      the expense of commonsense. He seems to be ignoring his own advice
      in places here.

      Regards,

      --- Qorin ---