Re: [WestKingdomEQ] June Crown & growing the EQ group

    Message 1 of 76 , Jul 6, 2005
      Don't forget that there also may be horse owners willing to exchange
      riding time for your help around the barn or at event - you CAN work
      off saddle time, riding lessons - you name it; it all depends on your
      initiative and the arrangement you make with the horse owner.

      Many owners may also be open to taking 'students' in general horse
      care, etc. to get more time around horses - hey, it's better than
      nothing, and has worked really well in some Kingdoms.

      :-), Marguerite

      On 7/6/05, Dianne L Karp <dkarp@...> wrote:

      > . A horse rented with group funds would be for the group, not one single
      > individual. Each person would have to sign some responsibility agreement,
      > etc. *shrug* This is just a suggestion, not a full-blown idea..... *gets off
      > soapbox* *S* Fair skies and happy riding to all. ~ Jena
      >

      > Well, while a wonderful thought, it has some problems.
      >
      > 1) The SCA regs strongly limit the number of riders one horse should have
      > to deal with in a day.
      > 2) our wrangler is very picky about who rides which horse - hence the 'test
      > drive'. He also has strong limits on how many riders can be on a single
      > horse in one day, generally 2 per day..
      >
      > So person X can ride horse Y but the other rental rider showing up that day
      > can not, they can only ride horse D, which person X can not ride. Which
      > group rental horse is brought to the event?
      >
      > I would suggest that anyone who wants to rent a horse have a coffee can at
      > home - go to movies or put money in jar? Go get pizza or put money in jar?
      > When I was a rental SCA eq rider, I only could afford to do it once or twice
      > a year - I had horses but no trailer.
      >
      > Keep thinking - maybe an idea will surface which will pan out!!!
      >
      > Siobhan n S

      > This is not an official SCA email list.

      > This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which
      > replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply
      > All" button which replys to all members of this list.

      > Shortcut URL to this page:

    • Laura
      Message 76 of 76 , Feb 8, 2010
        Jeez, is June Crown scheduled for the same week as the San Benito County Horseman's Association Annual Rodeo??? (Which is, btw, pronounced ro-DAY-o, like Rodeo Drive in L.A.) That should make for some interesting parking issues...

        I'm not sure whether I'll bring the pony, but I'm kinda thinking I should split my time between Crown and some very mundane nostalgia...
        Just FYI, my late father did all of his competing at said rodeo back a gazillion years ago. Not much in the way of pictures (a few snapshots but the shutter speeds were too slow), but the family brand is in one of those concrete blocks in the front of the grandstand.