Re: June Crown Update - roll call

  • Patti
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
      Ok, so is the plan to get out on the eric and see if our horses are
      gonna be settled in the enviroment? Or do we find this out in the
      arena space?

      How large can we anticipate this eric will be?

      Gwen please disregard my last note?
    • Patti
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
        Sorry Marguerite I just read the part about getting out early to
        practice on the eric.

        I don't want to down play your plan to have the horses out on the eric
        early, but from what I have seen it is the "human-element" that will
        put the hysterics into a steady horse. Getting the horses out to see
        the space with banners and pavillions is one thing - a level headed
        horse will acclimate to the space. You put a hundred oxygen-sucking
        humans around the space and you have an entirely different dramatic in
        a horses eye.

        When we worked the small arena at Valhalla about 1/4 of the joust
        horses totally sucked-back and could not deal with the mass human
        element surrounding that small joust stage. Almost like they were
        entering a feast and THEY were the main menu. The horses schooled fine
        during the week but ALL those people just rattled them to the point of
        where they could not deal with being away from the other horses (at
        the end of the lists). This is not to say that the eric will mimic the
        space of a beer swilling ren fair show. Just an FYI.

        And yes, we had run-aways but they ran to each other, or out the
        entrances and not into the crowds. We did have horses who got going
        too fast and stumbled VERY close to the crowds because they could not
        turn quick enough. But for the most part they did not want to crush us
        "squishy humans."

        Julianna (who is sure all will be fine. and if not she will bring
        tubes of "Calm and Cool" for the horses)
      • equigal_99
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
          In my experience, horses who are up and adam at o dark hundred are
          also pretty feisty...it's cool and crisp and they get pretty worked
          up at the "beginning" or things...excitement? By midday they want to
          snooze! If my horses are "too mellow" at dawn, I usually wonder
          what's wrong!

          To second Julianna's comments:

          I've never known a horse to run into a crowd of humans or at a human
          (singular). They run to the safety of the herd. They will happily
          crash into each other, but humans? Those are two legged and therefore
          akin to predators! :-)

          ariadne

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
            Aniadne LM@O!

            > In my experience, horses who are up and adam at o dark hundred are
            > also pretty feisty...it's cool and crisp and they get pretty worked
            > up at the "beginning" or things...excitement? By midday they want to
            > snooze! If my horses are "too mellow" at dawn, I usually wonder
            > what's wrong!

            Horse up that early are looking for breakfast and not much else ...
            LOL!

            If safety is the primary concern ... my unsolicited $.02 advice is to
            consider authorized horses who have been-there and done-that in this
            kind of a space. You got a few good ones to choose from. Or at least
            have a couple solid crowd-broke joust horses to be the anchor for
            horses who have an unknown past working with crowds.

            As you can see my concern is more the "crowd" than the banners.
            Ariadne is correct in saying that we are preditors to horses. Horse's
            have a whole other set of thoughts when they see 100 sets of human
            eyes watching their every move. Am I pretty? ... or am I lunch? They
            got weapons so maybe I AM lunch?

            He hehehe Julianna