Ring lances

  • William
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2005
      I'm just now getting around to building a lance for ring tilting, and I
      have a few questions. I noticed that the ring lances used at last
      month's EQ event, had what I believe was foam on the grip. (I think
      these were made by Marguerite, but I'm not sure.) Was this to provide a
      more comfortable grip, or was there another reason? And what kind was
      used? Pipe insulation? Last question: if a point is attached, would the
      lance be appropriate for both ring tilting and pig sticking? I know we
      don't do a lot of this last activity here currently, but you never
      know...

      -Wm
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2005
        >I noticed that the ring lances used at last month's EQ event, had
        what I believe was foam on the grip. (I think these were made by
        Marguerite, but I'm not sure.) <<
        Yep. I didn't paint it purple because the whole point is that the
        loaner lance be so ugly that everyone makes their own (and practices
        at home with them. ;-)

        >Was this to provide a more comfortable grip, or was there another reason?<<
        This as because my arm bruises readily on that soft part by the elbow,
        and I don't want people thinking I'm an abused woman! Plus its a more
        comfortable grip.

        >> And what kind was used? Pipe insulation?<<
        Right again! You can use either type from Home Depot, or closed cell
        foam or whatever - at Home Depot the 'foamier' stuff is really cheap
        but the 'sqooze-ball-squishier' stuff is nice (slightly more pricey-
        I think a whole $5 instead of $1.50). I used 7/8 inch inner diameter
        (ID) by 3/8 inch thick pipe insulation, but I can't remember if the
        7/8 in. hole fit perfectly around the lance or needed to be trimmed to
        fit (I know it has to be trimmed/shaved down a bit for boffer swords).

        > Last question: if a point is attached, would the lance be appropriate for both ring tilting and pig sticking?<
        Yes- but the ring tilt lances used for IKEqC this year have to be
        standardized: they must taper in the last 1 ft. to a point of 3/8 inch
        diameter. EQ Marshals will be checking this with a dowel or ruler (and
        our rings T-posts/uprights have to be of period appearing materials,
        too - so go paint your PVC now!). 3/8" may be kind of dull for a pig
        sticking point, but see what other folks think. (Another random note:
        Metal tipped lances may not be used by minors).

        > I know we don't do a lot of this last activity here currently, but you never now...<
        That's just because no one has gotten around to making pigs and made
        it happen. A few people did pick sticking at one event, and I've seen
        it used in Quests too. The ones at Estrella were just burlap stuffed
        with tiny styrofoam balls- not hard to make!

        And (everyone) if you want to see a specific activity at an event, all
        you have to do is volunteer to make stuff, or help run the activity,
        or find other ways to help the EQ autocrat make it happen! Many hands
        lighten the load, and the list has been awfully quiet of late when a
        call for volunteers goes out....