Re: [WestKingdomEQ] portugese saddle

  • dkarp@juno.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2005
      Portuguese saddles show up all the time on Ebay and you can generally get them for under $350 inc shipping. I ahve 2 from MrSaddle and they came with leathers, stirrups and a pad - no girth.

      They are very comfortable to ride in.

      WARNING!!!!

      This saddle MUST be used with a breast collar (use either a polo or an eng 'hunt style') and a crupper!!

      If you dont, it _WILL_ slide around and could cause an accident.

      Also, they do not fit high withered, slab shouldered horses very well.
      SnS
      Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>
    • Gordon Frye
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2005
        Charlotte;

        I want to second what Siobhan is saying: you need to
        use a breast-collar and crupper with the Portuguese
        saddles. I have two of them also, one of them (from
        Frontier Equestrian, which came with stirrups and
        leathers, but no girth) I use almost exclusively on my
        Half-Draft. I always ride it with a breast-collar,
        though sometimes I ignore the crupper (which I admit
        is foolish on my part). But it can be a slippery
        saddle! So be careful mounting especially, and if you
        DO ride without the accessories, don't do anything
        outrageous. The ground keeps getting harder and
        harder, and further away, in my experience. ;^)

        On the plus side, I've gone through a few rather
        interesting bucking sessions with it (on a couple of
        different horses), and stayed aboard just fine. Early
        morning vinegar exibitions and all that. So with the
        proper rigging and a TIGHT girth, they're great. (I
        wouldn't use one of the English girths with the
        elastic on a bet with one of these saddles, BTW)

        (Funny, I'm having the same basic discussion with Jeff
        Hedgecock of The Red Company down South and some
        others on another forum. He/we have the same
        conclusions, of course...)

        Hope this is of some help,

        Cheers,

        Gordon

      • dkarp@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2005
          They are designed to work with breat collar and crupper.

          I lent my saddle to a friend with explicit instructions to use a breast collar and crupper (Had just bought the saddle and did not yet have them to loan). She ignored me since she was only going to walk around the arena.

          The saddle slipped a bit, she could not get off (it is very hard to leap out of these things), the saddle slipped sideways as the horse paniced, she fell out, the saddle slipped under the horse. The horse went careening around the arena, kicking the crap out of my new saddle.

          Fortunately, the horse did not get hurt and my saddle survived, althought both leathers were broken by her hind feet catching in them.

        • cgable1@netzero.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2005
            Thanks to all for the info. I will get all the 'safty'rigging before mounting or riding. charlotte
          • Gordon Frye
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2005
              While on the subject of Portuguese saddles, let me
              point out a couple of threads from another site that
              are pertinent to our conversation. They are on the
              Firestryker Board, which is primarily dedicated to the
              15th Century reenactors.

              The first started out a conversation about Tennessee
              Walkers, but eventually moved on to a discussion about
              Portuguese saddles:

              http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=000024

              The second was started from the first, by Jeff
              Hedgecock, and is a discussion of the differences
              between his Iberian-made Portuguesa saddle and the
              Indian-made variety:

              http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=000025

              Both threads are very informative and quite useful.

              Cheers,

              Gordon

              Yahoo! Mail Mobile
              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail