portugese saddle

  • cgable1@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2005
      FYI....I just got a new saddle yesterday via UPS. It cost $197, which included shipping. It seems to be OK quality, but does not come with stirrups or cinch. I got it through circletack@...
      For those who want a 'period' looking saddle but will not be using it all the time (on trails, etc), this is a good deal. charlotte
    • dkarp@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2005
        Portuguese saddles show up all the time on Ebay and you can generally get them for under $350 inc shipping. I ahve 2 from MrSaddle and they came with leathers, stirrups and a pad - no girth.

        They are very comfortable to ride in.

        WARNING!!!!

        This saddle MUST be used with a breast collar (use either a polo or an eng 'hunt style') and a crupper!!

        If you dont, it _WILL_ slide around and could cause an accident.

        Also, they do not fit high withered, slab shouldered horses very well.
        SnS
        Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>
      • Gordon Frye
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2005
          Charlotte;

          I want to second what Siobhan is saying: you need to
          use a breast-collar and crupper with the Portuguese
          saddles. I have two of them also, one of them (from
          Frontier Equestrian, which came with stirrups and
          leathers, but no girth) I use almost exclusively on my
          Half-Draft. I always ride it with a breast-collar,
          though sometimes I ignore the crupper (which I admit
          is foolish on my part). But it can be a slippery
          saddle! So be careful mounting especially, and if you
          DO ride without the accessories, don't do anything
          outrageous. The ground keeps getting harder and
          harder, and further away, in my experience. ;^)

          On the plus side, I've gone through a few rather
          interesting bucking sessions with it (on a couple of
          different horses), and stayed aboard just fine. Early
          morning vinegar exibitions and all that. So with the
          proper rigging and a TIGHT girth, they're great. (I
          wouldn't use one of the English girths with the
          elastic on a bet with one of these saddles, BTW)

          (Funny, I'm having the same basic discussion with Jeff
          Hedgecock of The Red Company down South and some
          others on another forum. He/we have the same
          conclusions, of course...)

          Hope this is of some help,

          Cheers,

          Gordon

        • dkarp@juno.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2005
            They are designed to work with breat collar and crupper.

            I lent my saddle to a friend with explicit instructions to use a breast collar and crupper (Had just bought the saddle and did not yet have them to loan). She ignored me since she was only going to walk around the arena.

            The saddle slipped a bit, she could not get off (it is very hard to leap out of these things), the saddle slipped sideways as the horse paniced, she fell out, the saddle slipped under the horse. The horse went careening around the arena, kicking the crap out of my new saddle.

            Fortunately, the horse did not get hurt and my saddle survived, althought both leathers were broken by her hind feet catching in them.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2005
              Thanks to all for the info. I will get all the 'safty'rigging before mounting or riding. charlotte
            • Gordon Frye
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 16, 2005
                While on the subject of Portuguese saddles, let me
                point out a couple of threads from another site that
                are pertinent to our conversation. They are on the
                Firestryker Board, which is primarily dedicated to the
                15th Century reenactors.

                The first started out a conversation about Tennessee
                Walkers, but eventually moved on to a discussion about
                Portuguese saddles:

                http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=000024

                The second was started from the first, by Jeff
                Hedgecock, and is a discussion of the differences
                between his Iberian-made Portuguesa saddle and the
                Indian-made variety:

                http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=000025

                Both threads are very informative and quite useful.

                Cheers,

                Gordon

                Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail