Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Digest Number 704

  • Natalie W.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2005
      Greetings Equestrians of West Kingdom, a question for thy number....

      So if an overly ambitious (and very soggy!) equestrian from the lands of Caid were to pick a couple of West Kingdom events to travel to this year, what would you all recommend?

      Duke Henrik and Rittmaster Gordon have graciously accepted my invitation to joust at the Altavia Anniversary event that I'm autocratting in May in my barony (I'll be sending all the info on this "officially" in the next couple days...and yes, we have great rental horses, and stabling, crash space etc. is available *down here* if you need it....wanna come?)

      I'm incurable joust junkie, so what events will you be demo-ing SCA jousting? My colleague and EqMIT lord Odeane has come up with a really nifty new PVC-type lance design that's a big improvement over the prototypes we've been using thus far in Caid. We tested the new design this weekend. They were a great success! He's found a way to eliminate the "wiggle" problem and they are more "low profile" so you look (and feel) less like you are carrying a big piece of plumbing around! I'd be more than willing to bring a couple of our new lances with me to "something" you recommend if there would be someone with whom to "demonstrate" with in a joust....hint hint.....

      I would want to bring my own horses so if there's suitable stabling & crash space or camping available, that really helps me figure out which event (or events) to go to! I live in Sylmar (210 & I-5) in the NE corner of the San Fernando Valley in LA. Sacramento area is a 7 hour haul. The Bay area is nearly 8. I'd need to request a day off either before or after an event for travel so the further ahead I can plan, the better!

      My services are also available if you are in desperate need of an EqM or EqMIC for something...just need a place to stay for a weekend.

      In service to the joust,

      ~Lady Ariadne De Glevum, Eq.M, EqJM
      Barony of Altavia Deputy Marshal, Equestrian
      Regent, Caid Academy of Equestrian Arts
      (mka Natalie the LA-area Joust Junkie)

      "No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle"
      ~Sir Winston Churchill
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2005
        Greetings all-
        I replied off-list in a long winded way that said essentially, 'It
        depends on what owners and horses show up to events, whether they are
        interested in jousting, and whether more people get their jousting
        armor together' (currently only Duke Henrik, myselk, and Allessandro
        are authorized to joust). Please let me know if you want help getting
        your armor together or making lances!! I have equipment to help you,
        and will travel!

        >>My colleague and EqMIT lord Odeane has come up with a really nifty
        > new PVC-type lance design that's a big improvement over the prototypes we've
        > been using thus far in Caid...He's found a way to eliminate the "wiggle" problem<<
        Hmmm, we have modeled our styrofoam tip jousting lances after those I
        saw at Gulf Wars - but used locally available (i.e. modified wooden
        table legs from Home Depot) for the wooden base that is gripped by the
        rider, with 5 ft. cardboard tubes that slide on for the midsection and
        2 ft. styrofoam tips. They don't wobble at all, as opposed to PVC.
        I'm curious to see what you are using!

        ;-), Marguerite