February Garrods Lesson Report

  • tlwhyte17
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2005
      Howdy everybody! Genevieve here with a report on our February english-
      style lesson at Garrods Farms, Saratoga, that happened last
      Wednesday, Feb. 16 (better a late report than none! ;-) ).

      We had four attendees: 2 regulars (Collett and myself), and two
      newcomers (Kirie and her husband, John (I think; forgive me if I got
      that wrong :-P ). Our usual instructor, Vickie Garrod, had just come
      down with a bad case of flu, so we had a very nice substitute
      (Deborah? Jeese, I wish I was better with names...)

      This class turned out to be, well, interesting. Kirie and John were
      new to english riding, and they got the attention they needed.
      Collett and I got to practice skills on different horses, which was
      good. I particularly liked our sitting the trot with one hand
      grasping the cantle--good for me, since I was riding a rather bouncy
      arab mare ;-) . As always, a good time was had by all :-) .

      Just a thought: We might want to open a new class for newcomers at
      this point. Right now we have a group of regulars (me, Marguerite,
      Collett, Leah, and Sharon) who have been going to Garrods for a
      couple of years now (this year marks our third year!). What usually
      happens is that at least three of us can make a lesson at any one
      time.
      These last few months I've heard from a few people who are interested
      in joining us. Kirie and John are interested in becoming regulars, I
      know. Since we have at least 2 people who are not used to riding
      english, and I know it can be hard for instructors to teach a group
      class with a wide variety of skills, we might want to start a second
      class. This issue, of course, is the number of people needed to make
      another group lesson. Thoughts? I will be calling Vickie on Monday to
      schedual March's lesson, and she may have her own thoughts on the
      subject.

      Genevieve
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2005
        I think it would be great to have a Beg/Int and a Int/Advb class- if
        Vivki is willing and enough people can commit (I think 3 in minimum,
        butthey prefer 4 to a class).

        What says everyone?
        :-), Marguerite