Fwd: Conceptualizing "Collegium Equus"...feedback please?

  • Natalie W.
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
      Dearest hippophiles in the West....
      Would any of you find this of interest? If we could arrange for overnight accommodations or crash space or camping space, and/or stabling, would you come?

      FYI, day rate for horse rentals in Altavia is about $60. Working on a "weekend horse rental" package, fyi.

      ~Ariadne De Glevum
      Barony of Altavia Equestrian Guild (Caid)

                                   *****ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS*****

      So "Collegium Equus" is an idea that I've been noodling on for some time and have "bounced" off a few people in the past few months. As the QEC tourney is very much the focus for those of us involved in helping make it happen, I've not said a'much so as not to distract from it. However, as my noodling seems to have reached the level of "rumour" I wanted to just clarify that Yes!!! it's a concept in development....not "just" a rumour!!!

      Below is a summary of my noodling so far...looking for a suitable weekend in Jan, Feb or March. Guest instructors from inside and outside the SCA.  Will need loads of folks to make this happen...and lots and lots of "ground crew" too! Costs would be kept as low as possible but contingent on participation, number of rental horses used each day, etc.

      For now, what do you think? Would something like this interest you? What passions do you have that you'd like to see represented/taught? Would you be interested in helping make this event happen?

      ~Ariadne

      Collegium Equus is:
      ...a 2-day program of learning about and developing medieval equestrian knowledge and skills. Each day would have two tracks...one for the "advanced" rider and/or horse owner, the other novice/intermediate or not-yet-authorized individual.

      Ideas include....

      TRACK 1
      Advanced authorizations
      Period Cavalry Maneuvers
      Pig Sticking technique
      The Quintain technique
      Tilting Rings technique
      Heads & Reeds technique
      Spear/Javelin technique
      Mounted archery technique
      How to train *your* war horse to do the games
      Mounted combat technique & Authorization
      Learning to joust (inc. training your horse)
      (2nd Day) SCA Jousting clinic & Authorization
      (2nd Day) Riding armored & accoutered

      TRACK 2
      Riding 101: Learn to Ride (Focus on the basic "classical seat"...works for English or Western "styles" of riding)
      Intro to the games
      Authorizations: Novice & Intermediate
      Building your own ring lance, boffer, pig sticking spear, etc.
      Riding skills for heavies fighters
      Intro to riding in armor
      Intro to mounted combat
      Groundcrew basics
      (2nd day) Riding 201...bettering your skills
      (2nd day) Games techniques for novice/intermediate rider
      Authorizations: Intermediate & Advanced
      (2nd Day) Cavalry maneuvers
      (2nd Day) Riding armored and accoutered

      ALL
      The "Non Competitive" period equestrian pursuits:
           ~The Quest
           ~"Hawking parties"
           ~The Hunt
           ~Mounted processions
           ~Synchronized riding (drill team, quadrille, Pas de deux, Carrousel etc)
           ~Cavalry riding technique
           ~Camping at wars with a horse

      Make your own horse barding
      Saddle history/Making a period saddle
      SCA-style jousting rules, equiment & basics
      Making a period bridle
      Making your own games equipment
      War Horse HistoryHistory of horse breeds
      The gaited horse in history

      What else?

      "No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle"
      ~Sir Winston Churchill
    • Patti
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
        I think this would be very interesting and worth the trek. Can we BOOH
        (bring our own horse).

        Keep me posted?

        Julianna d' Avalonia
      • lightdragoon42
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
          Ariadne;

          I think it would be great! Hopefully as you get it going, it will
          be exported to other kingdoms as well. And getting some of
          the "Heavy Fighters" in the saddle where they belong is a grand
          idea... ;o)

          Cheers!

          Gordon

          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Natalie W." <equigal_99@y...>

        • Viscountess Gwendwyn the Silent
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
            Yes, suggested class sound great and I would most likely attend same
            if it did not conflict with a West Kingdom Crown/Coronation, or
            Cynagua Coronet/Investiture. I would want a rental horse for the
            day; it ends up cost-wise about the same, and it saves him the stress
            from a long haul. Please keep us informed of developments.

            Gwen

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
              Greetings ariadne-
              I think it sounds fantastic, I would be intersted in attending and in
              helping out in any way possible (marshaling, jousting
              demo/authorizations, teaching a class on period mounted combat
              technique, are a few things I could do). I would also be interested
              in renting a horse for the weekend.

              >>I would most likely attend same if it did not conflict with a West
              Kingdom Crown/Coronation, or Cynagua Coronet/Investiture.<<
              Just in case you don't have these handy, I'll give you a run down of
              Kingdom & Principality 'taken' dates for next yaer (I think this hits
              on all the major ones currently on the calendar):
              Feb18-20 Estrella War
              March 25-27 Crown
              April 1-3 Mists Coronet
              April 23rd West Kingdom EQ Event
              April 29-May1 Beltane Coronation
              May 14? Mists Investiture? (not on calendar....)
              May 20-22 Collegium
              May 27-30 Cynaguan Coronet
              June 24-26 Crown
              June 22-24 Arts & Sciences
              July 8-10 Cynaguan Investiture
              August 26-28 Purgatorio Coronation
              Sept. 16-18 Mists Coronet
              Sept 30-Oct 2 Crown
              Oct 15 Collegium
              Oct 22 Fall EQ Event? (I'm reserving the date today)
              October 28-30 Cynaguan Coronet
              Nov 12 - Mists Investiture

              In service,
              Marguerite
              West Kingdom EQ Officer

              On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:59:27 -0000, Viscountess Gwendwyn the Silent
              <bulotki@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > (2nd Day) Cavalry maneuvers
              > > (2nd Day) Riding armored and accoutered
              > >
              > > ALL
              > > The "Non Competitive" period equestrian pursuits:
              > > ~The Quest
              > > ~"Hawking parties"
              > > ~The Hunt
              > > ~Mounted processions
              > > ~Synchronized riding (drill team, quadrille, Pas de deux,
              > Carrousel etc)
              > > ~Cavalry riding technique
              > > ~Camping at wars with a horse
              > >
              > > Make your own horse barding
              > > Saddle history/Making a period saddle
              > > SCA-style jousting rules, equiment & basics
              > > Making a period bridle
              > > Making your own games equipment
              > > War Horse HistoryHistory of horse breeds
              > > The gaited horse in history
              > >
              > > What else?
              > >

              > > My Website: http://socalsinglefooters.iceryder.net
              > > "No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle"

            • Henrik Olsgaard
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004

                Hi Guys!

                Well I just got back from a too short trip to England and Denmark, late last month. And now my work situation is in flux for the next few months where I will be working most weekends. Hope I can get 12th night off!

                Anyway I saw the biggest Viking ship on the 7 seas, and it's a beauty. It sails for Dublin in 2007!

                But that's another story!

                I would like to offer a suggestion that an advanced element be focused on the real elements of mounted combat too. Keeping in mind that many equestrian games started out as practice for real life and death combat, and that most modern versions of them are no more lethal than Olympic Foil fencing is compared to Dark Age combat ( that old TV series about Vikings satrring Leif Erickson not withstanding!), I'd like to see some classes involving techniques that would really be lethal if used against another rider. Such things as power jousting for instance or duels involving elements of safety, that if removed would likely result in serious if not lethal injuries.

                The jousting that I saw at Sonora, would be a good example, as would Lord Jacque's breakaway quintain in Atenveldt. Simply tilting at an upended hay bale with a shield affixed standing on a water filled 50 gallon drum, would show a bit of how much rebound shock the jouster gets on impacting a heavy target, as well as the difficulty of getting a good grip on a shield surface if it isn't perfectly lined up. Also the different effects od where on the target the lance strikes would be more noticible since striking the bale "in the head" tips it over more easily, but striking it "in the middle" would possibly send it backwards farther. So a contest could be run to see who could "Toss the Bale" the farthest from it's starting point. Since real combats are between individuals who may be either big or little, if the rider were little, he may still have to fight a big opponant, so heavy and light bales of the same size could be randomly chosen for each rider, if desired, or weight classes could be established to give a more equal chance to smaller or less athletic riders.

                These are just some posibilities that come to mind.

                Henrik of Havn

                PS

                Tune in to THE HISTORY CHANNEL on Friday Nov. 19, at 9:30 PM (in the San Francisco area) to watch the half hour program "Command Decisions"  about William the Conquror invading England in 1066.

                Gordon and I , along with Dmitriy, get to play Norman invaders, in the background. Gordon's horses are there too!

                H.

              • lightdragoon42
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2004
                  Henrik;

                  Glad to have you back! I've been trying to make good use of the
                  quintain while you've been gone, I very much appreciate the loan of
                  it.

                  I really, really like some of your ideas that you posted. Especially
                  the idea of the sheild on either a haybale, or a drum, which will
                  give both a difficult target to hit squarely, as well as a heavy
                  target to move very far! (Although I have to admit even punching
                  your quintain over the course of an afternoon, with as little
                  friction as it has, left my arm a tad sore... hitting something that
                  weighs in at a SIGNIFICANTLY higher mass ought to really get our arms
                  buffed up in no time!) Moving the sport to a level closer to the
                  reality of combat, while retaining a high safety factor, is a great
                  idea in my opinion.

                  BTW, drop me a line, and come out if you can some weekday if you have
                  one off, and we can set the quintain up and do some more practicing!

                  Thanks for the ideas, I hope that others find them as exciting as I
                  do.

                  Take care!

                  Gordon