Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Site & Group Focus

  • Dianne L Karp
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2004
      Footing. Sigh. I am not an arena only rider. My horses run barefoot
      cross country - over rough terrain. I rarely even have to shoe my horses
      and they do not come up lame.

      I remember my shock at Tres Pinos when the dirt road was declared 'too
      hard' for the horses and we could not do more than trot.

      Horse are tougher than you are giving them credit for, you guys.

      Arena's are nice but most of the ground you think is too hard just isn't.

      Siobhan
    • Diane Merrill
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2004
        that depends. If your horse has white feet, the hoof is softer and wears faster. and you have to be really tuned in to your horse or you won't catch a problem before it's a big problem.

        If your horse is USED to trotting on hard ground & they have built up bone because of it, -- then it isn't a problem for their legs .....but the hoof depends on other factors. Including genetics, diet , soundness history, etc.

        If you want to trot regularly on hard ground some day : start gradually. Trotting on hard ground for most sound horses isn't lethal. However. It's a touchy subject & your horse can come up lame if you do too much too soon. Veterinarians say that it takes six weeks from the first trotting on hard ground -- to make a noticeable change in the bone thickness. It can be done. Endurance riders must.

        Endurance horses (and racehorses) also keep a regular shoeing schedule because they put serious milage on those feet. Friction being what it is, it's just more reliable than going barefoot. But again. It's not the only way . It takes a lot more know-how and care and attention to detail,  however, to go safely without shoes.

        Diane de Winchester

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2004
          My farrier thinks my white-footed horse is just fine barefoot - and I go
          hunting coyotes with him (fox hunting style)

          My point was that an area that has reg ground rather than groomed arena
          footing is not going to kill the horse - esp just doing SCA games.

          Siobhan
        • kknib
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2004
            I don't have an arena, if I want to ride in one, I have to trailer to a
            friends stable. My horses are out on hills, and have NEVER had
            shoes. The "herd" is out running through brush, downed trees,
            and squirrel holes (I can't fill all of them in...LOL).

            If we, as a group, are trying to encourage people to come out and
            play with us...the facts are we will have horses in ALL conditions.
            Though a horse that has been worked on hard ground will fairly
            easily adapt to softer footing, the same can not be said for a
            horse that has been stalled and worked in an arena. And again,
            if we are trying to be competitive with scores, it is helpful if your
            horse isn't having his feet skid out on a turn, or you don't have to
            break gait. Now some really handy horses might not have a
            problem, but how many of us are graced with such steeds...lol
            Catty & I are still working on neck reining away from home *sigh*

            To each their own. But if negative word spreads about a site
            (and we all know how well the grape vine works in the horse
            industry), do you think that people will be eager to spend the time
            and money to trailer in? Perception IS reality...right or wrong.

            In Service
            Kristin
          • Aricia/Krys
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2004

              Race horses get shod 3 to 4 times more often and get get shod with Aluminum shoes.

              Aricia

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2004

                Truthfully I think shoeing is to be looked at on a horse by horse basis.  There are some horses who don’t do well shod or fully shod.

                Aricia

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2004

                  I am working on a little presentation to the Lady who owns the stable where Scaith boards Tucson.  Pat has the 4 H in there once a month and I am going to try to get us the same deal.  There is a outdoor dressage/pleasure arena, a VERY large jumping arena where we could set up ring, etc. (we just can’t move the jumps and there is plenty of room for our stuff) and she has an indoor arena.  If we can I would like to set up a monthly Cynagua practice there, Hopefully starting in November.  I want to write up a release for Pat that she would be pleased with and talk to her about costs.  I don’t know if the 4H pays her a token sum or not.

                  Then Rhodri has written me that when she comes back from Canada that we will get together and she will supply me with a horse (maybe two) and a large round pen (the arena is across the street) to give lessons once a week.  These lessons will be for any costs I would incur teaching someone or free.

                  So things are looking up here in Cynagua

                  Aricia