Changing Focus?

  • Michael Canfield
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004

      Morning...

      Just an observation (and maybe several questions)that has been tickling the back of my mind of late.From where I sit, currently far outside the loop of things, it seems that the focus of our group has changed. Change is NOT an bad thing! Change can be very good if it occurs at the right time. When this "resurrection" of the EQ Guild started the group focus was about getting people involved and authorized, growing our ranks, getting folks "educated" to the equine world, getting the EQ Handbook for the West complete and making a strong impression on the Populace in a positive manner. Man that was a lot to work towards...but it was happening and great stride towards the achievement of those goals was being made!
      Is this a correct assumption?

      Currently it seems to me, siting far outside the loop, the focus of the group is now on "more stuff".  There is all this great energy being poured into jousting and crest combats...and that is cool for those select few who have the riding skill and ability/resourses to pursue those activities...but it feels like (and this is just my personal opinion mind you) that the "majority" of the membership in this group is not quite ready for those activities. In fact they were just catching up to the efforts being made to do what was focused on in the above paragraph! We still don't have a solid West Kingdom EQ handbook which is causing a little bit of angst at times...of course the SCA rules keep getting changed too! We have riders who lack experience and confidence. We hear "I want to learn to ride" for people but the follow through is not there. We miss opportunities to potentially grow.
      Is it possible that "change" is happening to soon or too fast? Is enthusiasm getting the better of us?

      Truthfully I can see how a change in focus could happen.We're only human!  In ALL groups there are leaders and core membership. This mini-group are the movers and shakers. They are the ones who organize events and create opportunities for the general membership to get involved,  participate and have fun. The KEY WORDS for the "general populace" is PARTICIPATE and HAVE FUN. If the general populace does not participate (like with the horse rental issue...the opportunity to participate was created, organized and made easy to access-not an easy task- but it lacked follow through by the general membership) it is hard for the leadership and core members who are active to continue to provide opportunities for the general populace with the same level of enthusiasm and commitment as was done before. We call that Burn-Out. So, what happens is the mini-group begins to explore what is FUN for them and what they want to PARTICIPATE in.  Its a "return on investment" thing. Think about it. If a majority of the folks do not take advantage of the effort and opportunities presented to them, the "organizers" feel they are wasting their time, so the focus begins to change and the "minority" works towards a new set of opportunities to which they can see results...even if it  is from only the minority.

      So what do you all think? Has our focused changed?
      What is the biggest hurdle in becoming more active and participating more?
      What is our biggest hurdle in becoming "mainstream" in the West?
      Are we as a group excluding membership with a focus on "more stuff"?
      Are we authorizing as many people as we have in the past?
      Are we as a group providing opportunities to grow, authorize and advance?
      Are we becoming more insular?
      Are we becoming more restricted from the Society rule set (which seems to change  quite a bit)?

      and my last question....

      What would you the GENERAL MEMBER like to see happen within the frame work of the Guild?

      Your Kingdom and Principality Marshals and leadership can only do so much. They have all done some amazing things in a short period of time. We should all honor the efforts made on our behalf. How you ask?You the GENERAL MEMBER need to chime in and get involved to the best of your abilities...that is is how. If changes happen...and they will...that you feel are positive, SAY something. If the changes fell negative to you, SAY something and be prepared to back your works with deeds. Read the meeting minutes (or better yet attend the meetings-grin), looks at the SCA handbook, get authorized, rent a horse, take a lesson...do what you can.

      OK..that is two sermons in one morning. I a REALLY done now.
      Back to decaf I go...

      RdC

    • Natalie W.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
        My good sir, we have never met, but gracious...what a relief it is to know that Caid is not alone in what appears to be dilemma over some of the very same questions that you pose in this missive to The West!

        Thank you for your sermon! I will be interested to read the replies to your astute observations.

        In case it can be of help, our KEO Lord Nils Reiter, completely revised our Kingdom's equestrian handbook/manual this past summer....it is considerably slimmed down from the behemoth it once was!!!

        In service to the Joust and Caid,

        ~Ariadne, the humble equitessae in Altavia (K. of Caid)

        Michael Canfield <dcamville@...> wrote:

[...]

        "No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle"
        ~Sir Winston Churchill
      • tlwhyte17
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
          Wow. Very interesting post. Some very quick, initial responses (since
          I've got to leave soon to go ride :-) ):

          Per the jousting and mounted combat specifically: I don't think that
          this is becoming any sort of focus. I think that perception may be
          the function of increased data about it. Marguerite has been posting
          more about it, and various people have responded, so these activities
          have gotten more press lately. This makes sense, since more press may
          influence more people to "get their armor together", thus making
          these activites possible. But your take is an interesting one that my
          brain is still processing.

          Per general involvement/rentals: Guys, I'm feeling kinda beat-up
          about the whole rental-thing. I, personally, have found the late
          response to rental availablity to be really frustrating. And now
          people will not be able to wait to the last minute, and so I fear for
          the future of rental-availability at events. I understand that, given
          everyone's modern lifestyle and committments that it is *hard* for
          people to commit to an event far in advance, especially when
          relatively large sums of money are involved. So I feel like we are
          between a rock and a hard place on this issue.

          Per general involvement/lessons/increasing rider skill: One of my
          takes on this is "culture clash". My apologies, it is difficult for
          me to consicely state this idea. There is a *broad* vision of
          expectation out there, both withing the greater horse communittee and
          withing the public at large, as to what riding is, how hard it is,
          what one expects from riding and horses. IMHO many folks don't
          believe it is necessary to devote the money and time to lessons when
          they only want to 'ride a little bit at events" because they don't
          believe it is that hard. Even after riding at an event, they may not
          change their minds because of expectations. (On the other end of the
          spectrum, there is me, who sometimes (often?) feel like I am the
          world's slowest learner, and that the Mountain That Is Dressage just
          keeps getting steeper and higher...:-P ).

          Gotta go, maybe more later,
          Genevieve (who probably counts as a core, rather than general,
          memeber...)
        • Aricia/Krys
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004

            I have to agree with this.  I am kind of sitting off to the side too watching and noticed that yes we are traveling fast into very interesting areas, ( I for one am fascinated with Horse Archery).   But the majority of folk who are interested in the equestrian arts not only lack a horse and in some cases the cash to rent one, but also lack the experience and the ability to get that experience.  They are also interested in really learning to ride and in many cases ride well.

            I am still trying to get something going mundanely where equitation is the name of the game and you learn the horse from bottom  up.(I am a strong believer in that if don’t have that down, your horse cannot give you 100% and know what you are asking him to do.)   I may have some place here that we can meet at monthly as well as give beginners the help and experience they need on a weekly basis.  I am willing to give lessons/training, but the logistics have slowed this down.  I know the Mists has several lesson groups going, but can everyone afford them and how close to people are they?

            We need to stretch out more too.  The scroll idea is nice, especially if it is given at court.  But what about the classes on the horse and medieval warfare, the classes on medieval tack, the classes on riding garb not only period, but SCA items with hands on.  Even the general tacking up and equine care, we need to get that going.  I know at A/S we had several classes but were they the ones people really needed and we need to be a presence at every Kingdom Collegium as well as A/S to keep the momentum going and in the populaces mind  Even if it is only one or two lecture classes, we are seen.

            …Another thing is we becoming overly cautious regarding our interactions with new riders?  Let’s be honest.  Several people are rather gun shy dealing with certain types of novice riders since this whole fiasco regarding Anton.  Personally from a mundane legal aspect, I really don’t think we have a lot to worry about, but is this over cautious attitude hurting our interaction with new people?  The false accusations against Anton are a rarity instead of a norm and truthfully do not stem from anything we do in general.

            Another possible idea is that we need to have some sort of contest that even beginning members of the populace can participate in.  Some friends staying with us from another Kingdom told me that when the Royalty made a “Master of Horse” and that person had things for the populace to participate in, it brought the Equestrians out more into the main stream.  Having a Mounted Tournament of Jousting at a Purg or Beltane on the Eric as part of the Coronation entertainment, where all the populace can sit and watch, with the Royalty in state might be something that could be done.  It’s all stuff to think about and toy with.

            Bottom line I think if we can someway give people experience in improving their general riding techniques, for a very small cost or free, we may get and keep more people.  Unfortunately we are not like Rapier or Archery in that is it more cost prohibitive to be able to do Equestrian.

             Now I am done with my little jag (I have no excuse except I am old and grouchy…I don’t even drink caffeine in Coke!)  and  I am off to finish my home work.

            Aricia

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
              >http://www.geocities.com/equestrianarts/CaidEQHandbook2004.pdf
              I like that format!! That is exactly waht I was referring to in my previous
              post about how we might want to do the West EQ manual - thank you so much
              for posting it! My only note is that I would put West specific rules in
              italics, not in color, so that reproductions on B&W copiers work better.

              >So what do you all think? Has our focused changed?
              In regards to the focus change, lately we have been going where the interest
              lies (jousting and boffercrest combat based on the emails I've seen). There
              were only 9 votes cast in the Yahoo group Poll about what activities people
              wanted at this event. With so little response, its just hard to gague what
              focus people are interested in.
              >What is the biggest hurdle in becoming more active and participating more?
              >What is our biggest hurdle in becoming "mainstream" in the West?
              >Are we as a group providing opportunities to grow, authorize and advance?
              >Are we becoming more insular?
              Trying to expand the guilld with the few horses we have is now and will
              always be a challenge - and really our only limiting factor. Horses are
              important to have EQ activities (-grin-) and we have more interested people
              than we have horses.

              How we handle this factor is what determines whnether we are perceived as
              more 'maistream' or 'exclusionist' by the populace.

              >Are we as a group excluding membership with a focus on "more stuff"?
              I don't think so - more activities will appeal to a broader audience. After
              all, only 1-2 people at a time can run the IKEqCgmes, and everyone else is
              standing around waiting - a real bottle neck at events. I think more things
              to do (perceived as more stuff?)= more fun = more interest.

              >Are we authorizing as many people as we have in the past?
              With the horses we have available, yes. And it may be we are reaching a
              point where new members come from existing owners at barns or newbies to the
              SCA - I think most of the Kingdom who wants to know about EQ stuff does at
              this point. We have over a hundred members in the Yahoo group, a strong
              sign.

              >Are we becoming more restricted from the Society rule set (which seems to
              >change quite a bit)?
              We do not have a West EQ manual yet, so we only use the Societry rules - we
              can't be more restrictive. Siobhan must have had an old copy (March, not
              Aopril 2003) which caused some confusion. The Society rules have not
              changed since April 2003. The proposed additions/clarifications I am
              interested in we have discussed at meetings, I think (clarifying minor
              stuff, and adding a vamplante to prevent rings from covering a roders hand
              -so you can't ditch the lance- on the ring tilt lance).

              Hopefully this winter we can get a draft going and see what people think,
              and what other things we might want in our manual.
              :-), Marguerite

            • Patti
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
                Spectacular topic and all advice goodly and sound indeed!

                My advice is, where there is a will there is a way - and "the way"
                starts at home. Novice horsemen (and women) need not spend a mint on
                the basics to get them started. As I have said before, there is a
                plethora of barns willing to take on a working student. All they need
                is the time, ambition and a phone book.

                Time in the saddle is of the essence before games can happen, we all
                know that. Those of us in the barn know that riding opportunitites
                abound once you put yourself in the enviroment. Right? I DO try to
                point Novice Horsemen in that direction.

                Perhaps some of the turn-off to the Novice is the amount of work.
                Those of us steeped in our equines knows that our work day does not
                end at 5 pm. Many of us have farms or board and the days are long.
                Lets face it - horses are very labor intensive and a few budding
                novices may not find the rewards worth the amount of work put in.

                Horses are an addiction. One that I like to hook my friends on! I will
                commit to spreading the disease with all the new comers ;-)

                Julianna d' Avalonia
              • Ruth Ann Van Vranken
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
                  Translation:  Horses are either in your blood or their not.
                  Corollary for new people: Horses either get in your blood, or you don't stay around horses long.

                  For the SCA, the folks that have "Horses in their blood" will make the Equestrian thing go, while lots of comes and goes around the periphery by the non-infected people.