Supplies needed to make EQ Games Equipment

  • Marguerite du Royon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      I have posted the equipment needed to make EQ games equipment out of
      PVC to the files section, and pasted it below also for ease of
      reference.

      Please let me know if you have any questions, some of these are hard
      to describe!

      Thanks,
      Marguerite

      If you would like to make the EQ Games equipment like I have, this is
      what you will need. Note that this is not a hard and fast
      requirement, its just one way of making inexpensive, modular
      equipment that looks nice once its painted.

      For PVC and "Nerf ball" Heads, you will need the following:

      Power Tools (I can bring):
      - dremel
      - hand sander/grinder or belt sander (and safety goggles)
      - small blow torch which can be mounted on Coleman lamp-sized
      propane bottle (and gloves)

      Supplies for heads uprights:
      - 6 traffic delineators, with 12 bases/weights on the bottom (4
      to hold the heads/rings, 2 to mark your start and ending poles, and
      you need an extra weight on the bottom of the 4 heads holders). I
      work in construction so I can help with these - let me know!
      - 1.25 inch PVC, comes in 10 ft. sections for ~$2 each. We used
      5 ft. height to make the heads uprights, meaning you need TWO 10 ft.
      sections (Note: The IKEqC rules do not specify a height).
      - 4 rubber toilet plunger tops to hold the heads (these fit
      nicely inside the 1.25 inch PVC pipe ends with no gluing required)
      - 4 "Nerf" style foam balls for heads (these are actually
      surprisingly hard to find these days! I finally found a multi sport
      pack at a Target near me, so the set of 4 heads would cost $20. Let
      me know if you want me to pick these up!)
      - tent stake to heat up in the blow torch and poke holes
      through the foam ball "heads"
      - ½ inch to ¾ inch thick rope to attach the foam heads to the
      uprights (burn ends to seal them)

      Supplies for boffer sword:
      - ¾ inch PVC, comes in 10 ft. sections for ~$2 each; need 1 of
      the 10 ft. sections (for several boffers)
      - closed cell foam to pad the boffer sword
      - duct tape to wrap the closed cell foam (available in colors
      at OSH)
      - electrical tape to indicate the boffer sword edge (available
      in colors at OSH)
      - athletic tape (recommended) for handle/grip

      For PVC/metal Rings, you will need the following:
      Power Tools (I can bring):
      - drill and a clamp to hold things straight
      - dremel
      - hand sander/grinder or belt sander (and safety goggles)
      - small blow torch which can be mounted on Coleman lamp-sized
      propane bottle (and gloves)

      Supplies:
      - 3 traffic delineators, can be same ones as the heads if you
      want (but you will really need 3 weights on the bottom for windy
      days). I work in construction so I can help with these - let me know!
      - 1.25 inch PVC, comes in 10 ft. sections for ~$2 each. We used
      6 ft. height to make the ring uprights/standards, and 4 ft. for the
      ring "T" cross braces (two 2 ft. long sections), meaning you need
      THREE ten foot sections of PVC to make equipment (Note: The IKEqC
      rules do not specify a height).
      - Three 1.25 inch PVC "T" connectors for the rings cross bar
      ($1-$2 each)
      - 1 wooden dowel, 7-9 feet in length, with a mark at 5 ft. from
      the tip, and a taper in the last foot to 3/8 of an inch (this will be
      the standard for IKEqC starting May 1, 2005). The (untapered) dowels
      are available in 8 ft. lengths from Home Depot & OSH for about $10.
      - Bolt & washers/counterweight for the end of the lance are
      optional, but recommended.
      - Leather and rivets to form a graper/vamplate/arret de la
      lance for a "ring stop" are optional, but recommended also. This is
      not listed in the IKEqC standards/requirements, but will be a
      requirement in the West soon (due to the dangers of the rings sliding
      down the lace and covering your hand, preventing the lance from being
      discarded in an emergency).
      - 2 sets of magnetic rings in sizes 1in. to 6in, for a total of
      12 rings, plus ribbon to attach to the rings so they don't get lost
      on the ground. We used gold-tone metal macramé hoops available for
      ~$0.70 each at Beverly's crafts in San Jose. (Michaels only has
      plastic ones.) I bought some extras of these, and they are available
      from me at cost.
      - 24 Rare earth magnets, available from Radio Shack for $2 a
      two pack (limited quantities per store! Hit a few of them to get a
      whole set, or I have tons of these so if you want you can buy them
      from me at cost). Other ceramic magnets just don't compare to these
      for strength, and are too bulky by comparison.
      - Six 1.25 inch PVC pipe "ends" – to seal the ends of the rings
      crossbars, optional
      - PVC glue or industrial strength glue for crossbars, if
      desired

      For Experimental jousting and boffer combat, you will need:

      Armor (some off the shelf/some purchase options are below):
      - Basic helms: $125.00. (The 18-gague steel 'decorative' one that I
      have to
      pad out was $100). Leather helms are available from:
      http://www.animalhospitalonmidway.com/helms.html.
      - Simple profile crests are $25.00 (same source)
      - Body Protector/padded jumping vest (Flexrider,
      www.statelinetack.com):
      $94.99 ladies, $104.99 mens, sizes S, M, L, XL (requies a surcoat to
      cover
      the mundane body armor)
      - Gorget (throat protection): I got a stainless one ready to wear for
      $45 from GAA armories http://www.hammeredsteel.com/gaa/armour/gaa/N-
      001.htm! Both Anshelm Arms and Mandrake Armory have brigandine ones
      (black leather covered/riveted on) for $65.
      (http://www.mandrakearmory.com, http://www.anshelmarms.com/)

      Tools:
      - Belt sander
      - Power drill
      - PVC cutter

      Supplies for jousting lance:
      - Home Depot Table leg with rounded ball at the end and taper
      prior to the ball in the largest/longest size they have (28", I think)
      - 2 ½ x ½ inch galvanized steel water reducer (to counterweight
      the back of the jousting lance) available from Home Depot (and OSH,
      different looking but still fits)
      - 6 inch lag screw to attach counterweight to wooden table leg
      - Two ½" washers that the lag screw will fit through to secure
      lag screw to counterweight
      - 5 ft. long, 2 inch diameter cardboard tube from a fabric
      store – lightest/thinnest weight available (1/8 inch thickness, not ¼
      inch – best to get them from a silk/lightweight roll)
      - 2 ft. long, 2 inch diameter styrofoam tips available from at
      cost Marguerite for ~$0.52 each, source: U.S. Foam, (408) 988-6700,
      630 Martin Ave., San Jose CA (exit De Anza from 101, near airport)
      Contact: Michael

      For PVC/bamboo Reeds, you will need the following:

      Tools:
      - PVC Cutter or Hacksaw
      - Industrial strength glue (E6000, Amazing Goop, etc.)

      Supplies:
      - 1.25 inch PVC, comes in 10 ft. sections for ~$2 each. We used
      6 ft. height to make the reeds uprights for the Mists, meaning that
      you would need TEN sections of ten foot PVC to make them (the IKEqC
      guidelines don't specify a height).
      - ¾ inch PVC, comes in 10 ft. sections for ~$2 each; need 5 of
      the 10 ft. sections to place over tent stakes, then the 11.25 inch
      PVC will slide over that to stabilize the reed upright
      - 1 inch diameter bamboo reeds, that come in 6-8 ft. long
      sections at OSH. I used 2 to make my set of reeds.
      - Ten 1.25inch diameter washers with the smallest hole possible
      (1/4 inch I think) in them
      - String to make lanyards for the reeds
      - Ten strong magnets that can be glued to the bottom of the
      reeds (rare earth magnets should work, or I used larger ½ to ¾ inch
      ceramic ones)
      - Ten tent stakes to erect reeds uprights