Purgatorio

  • kknib
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2004
      I was waiting for official conformation…guess its
      official (posted on the West Kingdom website). Purg is
      going to be held in Santa Maria, at the Elks Rodeo
      Grounds 8/27-29/04!  The fee Kingdom agreed to pay
      includes the equestrian facilities (large pens, full
      size rodeo arena).  The property is extensive, so
      there should be plenty of room for all activities.
      This place is the yearly site for a fairly famous
      Rodeo, so it is horse friendly!  (The pens have a
      tanbark base over sand so no bedding is needed and the
      Elks will use the manure to fertilize the grounds).

         My question is, now that we've got it, what do we
      do with it?  Tarnmist has no EQ Marshals (yet).  Ellen
      and I have volunteered to assist our local autocrat
      with the equestrian portion of this event.  Whom do we
      need to talk to?  I know there are insurance forms,
      who needs to file these? We look forward to showing
      the rest of the Kingdom the equestrian opportunities
      that are available down in our neck of the woods.

      In service
      Kristin Hvit Hestr
    • ellenwwind
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
        Hi Everyone,

        Just did the last site walk through yesterday. We have a nice flat
        area next to the corrals to camp in. It is a little way from the
        rest of the encampment, but not as far as June Crown was. There are
        10 flush privy stalls just down the hill. The Elks will be putting
        on a BBQ Friday and Saturday night as well as breakfast on Saturday
        and Sunday morning. They will also be cooking burgers throughout
        Saturday. They will have a beer and wine booth. since they are
        selling alchohol the site is descreetly wet. (We're throwing T-
        tunics on the cooks and servers). Charge is not set, but usually $9
        for dinner and $5 for breakfast is typical. This means if you don't
        want to cook your own meals you won't have to go off site to eat.
        You also won't need to pack your kitchens or do dishes. We will be
        sharing our parking area with the RV people. Kristin and I will be
        supplying lunch for the ground crew and marshals like we did at June
        Crown (fruit, sandwiches, drinks, ect.).

        YIS
        Ellen
      • Dianne L Karp
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
          Anyone out there know anything about WW brand horse trailers?  I have a line on an 1985 2 horse with tack room.  Elec brakes on all 4 wheels.

          Any idea what it might be worth?

          SnS

        • ellenwwind
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 25, 2004
            Hi Guys, I was hoping to have a count of the people who are
            interested in camping with the horse group, (even if you are not
            bringing your own horse you would be welcome). I need to let the
            event autocrat know how much room we will need. So far I have only
            two tent spaces reserved. It will be away from the noisy end of camp,
            the horses need their sleep you know :). The area is nearest to the
            flush privys (10 stalls on the female side). It will also be near
            merchants row. We are not allowed to camp on the green grassy area
            next door. It is still fairly new sod and needs to establish better.

            Also remember that the Elks will be having BBQ's on Friday and
            Saturday night, breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning, and hambugers
            throughtout the day on Saturday. Usual cost is $5-$9/meal. They
            will also have a beer and wine booth. Site is descreetly wet. Temp
            is forecast to be in the low 80's during the day and mid to upper
            50's at night with possible fog.

            Hope to see you there,

            Ellen
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
              Thank you to everyone who came out a made Purgatoio a success!! Special
              thanks to Kristen and Ellen, who made multiple trips to trailer horses so
              that we would have loaner mounts, Collett and Anne who marshalled tirelessly
              all day, and all of the groundcrew who also stayed out inb the hot sun to
              help!

              For once, we had more groundcrew than riders - it was great! Also, there
              were more new authorization rides and ground crew authorizations than
              anything else, which will definitely help future events run smoother- the
              more groundcrew the better.

              Riders chose to do authorizations, then get off (with running the full
              games) so that everyone would have a chance to ride - and everyone is to be
              commended for that courtesy! As a result, we will not be sending any IKEqC
              scores in for the event, but I think that all the 'infrastructure bulding'
              we did is a great thing, and thank everyone again who came out and made it
              possible!

            • Bob Orser
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 14, 2006

                Barring unforeseen calamities, it is my intention to be at Purgatorio to assist in whatever EQ marshaling duties are needed.  Presumably  a number of horse-savvy foot attendants will be required for safety reasons with the mounted procession (and also to lead the mounts back to stable after the riders dismount at court, I'd guess.)    I've been pleased to see friends I've known for many years like Radnor & Rolf  on the Throne again.  I haven't gotten to know some of the newer fighters yet who just joined in the last decade or so.
                      - Robert of Dunharrow

                Bob Orser
                EarthLink Revolves Around You.

              • Alice
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 14, 2006

                  Thank you for your offer of help, Robert.  Many hands will be needed before and after Coronation to help with "dressing" and "undressing" the horses.  And, time permitting, there are plans to run a few games either on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, so ground crew and marshals will be needed.   Fortunately, though, it apppears many Guild members will be able to enjoy the grandeur and spectacle of Coronation from the (hopefully) pleasant shade of the gallery and not have to stand out in the sun with the Honor Guard.

                  During the EQ Guild meeting this past Saturday, His Royal Highness explained the plan for the procession in great detail, and it was determined  that only one foot attendant would be needed during the procession itself.  All riders will be intermediate-to-advanced riders, so they will not have to be led nor their horses held.  The members of Their court who will be joining Them during the Coronation will be on foot.  Her Royal Highness will be arriving in a carriage: the carriage's owner will be driving it, and will not be dismounting.  The procession route will be roped off, so no one approaches the horses on foot.  And there will be a barrier of some sort between the gallery and the procession.   His RH will need someone to take His mount after He dismounts, but I believe that position is being filled by a close friend.

                  So come, relax, and enjoy!

                  -Alison

                  <Note: the opinions and words expressed herein are solely my own.  I do not presume to speak for THRs, nor Their Court.>

                  On Friday, July 14, 2006 5:32 PM, Robert wrote:

                  Barring unforeseen calamities, it is my intention to be at Purgatorio to assist in whatever EQ marshaling duties are needed.  Presumably  a number of horse-savvy foot attendants will be required for safety reasons with the mounted procession (and also to lead the mounts back to stable after the riders dismount at court, I'd guess.)    I've been pleased to see friends I've known for many years like Radnor & Rolf  on the Throne again.  I haven't gotten to know some of the newer fighters yet who just joined in the last decade or so.

                        - Robert of Dunharrow

                • Viscountess Gwendwyn the Silent
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 17, 2006
                    Greetings All,

                    The site owner has waived the rule about horses on the grass for the
                    processions only. Horses are permitted in other areas, such as the
                    roads, barn and arena areas. Please pick up after your horse.

                    We will definately need all hands available for Purgatorio,
                    especially during court. This includes everyone who is authorized
                    Intermediate Groundcrew and above to monitor the perimeter of the
                    procession area and be available to lead/hold a horse, if necessary,
                    at the field. We need volunteers that arrive early on Friday and
                    Saturday morning to help at gate with getting the EQ waivers
                    signed. Some owners may want assistance with their horses during
                    the event. Respond to the poll, or contact me directly if you will
                    be available to help.

                    Any other activities besides ceremonial processions will need
                    marshals and groundcrew to assist. There will be NO NEW
                    AUTHORIZATIONS AT THIS EVENT that have not been approved by the
                    Kingdom Equestrian Officer.

                    Folks that want to become authorized to help with horses before the
                    event have several opportunities coming in the next few weeks:

                    Golden Rivers practice, July 23 and August 20, 11:00-3:00 in Rio
                    Linda (Northern Sacramento County) contact me for details.

                    North Bay workshop & practice, weekend of July 28-30, (Santa
                    Rosa/Sonoma County), contact Collette.

                    Silver Desert practice, August 12, noon til dark, north of Reno,
                    contact Siobhan for details.

                    Ever in Service to the West,

                    Gwendwyn
                    EQMIC for Purgatorio