RE: [WestKingdomEQ] PVC EQ Games Equipment Supplies list

  • Ruth Ann Van Vranken
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2004
      Hi,

      Marguerite, thanks for sending this nice itemized list out -- it'll save me
      (and I'm sure lots of other folks) time digging through the manual!

      As another option for the bases, pole bending bases can be used.

      There are two types, one is plastic (and lite assuming you empty & refill
      each time - just sounds like more work to me <G>) that you fill with sand or
      water. (I don't care for these much -- but the weight on the others is not
      an issue for me.)

      The other, (better imho -- it comes down to what your used to, and they
      don't fall over just because a little breeze went by) is a heavy duty rubber
      set. My Mom's are over 20 years old and still being used for 2 gymkhana's a
      month with 4 events at each gymkhana utilizing them and 4 practices a month
      (their use in earlier years was much heavier) I have ordered a set of these
      and will have them around the first week of February if anyone wants to take
      a look at them.

      I plan on making a set of rings and a set of heads "uppers" as well as a set
      of poles for pole bending (<sigh> guess I better make a set of scurries as
      well).

      If anyone is interested in these, let me know as well. (They are not cheap)
      There's a gal back east that has a better rate for clubs needing new
      equipment.

      A few years ago I went to Great Western War (specifically to ride - not
      fight) and their heads were styrofoam heads -- wig forms. Guess somebody
      would get offended if we got a bunch of monster masks just after Halloween
      and put them on wig forms <G>.

      Marguerite, can you get cones for a good price? (Better than Home Depot's
      price on their medium-sized ones? I need a few more for marking pockets for
      barrels. Thanks.)

      BTW, tack shops think LOTS of their cones (usually dressage cones, but come
      on, it's not too hard to stick letters on cones that cost less than half
      somewhere else). And while we're on the topic of things that are cheaper at
      hardware stores than tack stores -- Koppertox, the active ingredient is
      copper naptha -- find it at Home Depot in the paint department as Jasco's
      Green (Wood Preservative) (it's used to treat wood for dry rot) -- the
      strengths are not exactly the same, but at less than half price I don't
      worry about it because it still gets the job done.

      Thanks!
      - Rhodry

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2004
        >>The other, (better imho -- it comes down to what your used to, and they
        >>don't fall over just because a little breeze went by) is a heavy duty
        >>rubber set. I have ordered a set of these and will have them around the
        >>first week of February if anyone wants to take a look at them.<<

        Sounds interesting! The stuff I'm using is from my work on freeway
        construction projects - what you drive by on the highways regularly -
        designed not to fall over when an 18-wheeler goes by at 80 mph. :-) And
        they're ummm, free for me (your tax dollars at work). I'm sure I could
        price them out for those who think the contractors might miss the ones I've
        permanently borrowed.

        >>A few years ago I went to Great Western War (specifically to ride - not
        >>fight) and their heads were styrofoam heads -- wig forms. Guess somebody
        >>would get offended if we got a bunch of monster masks just after Halloween
        >>and put them on wig forms <G>.<<

        No, I think it would be great - BUT the problem is the styrofoam heads break
        off at the neck all the time. Its really annoying to have to replace them
        constantly, so I'm switching the Mists equipment over from the styrofoam to
        the nerf heads for better equipment life. Thats what I'd recommend, but
        hey, you could use gallon milk jugs or anything else not breakable when you
        get right down to it. Period looking is better, of course, but better to
        have something to practice on than nothing!

        >>Marguerite, can you get cones for a good price? (Better than Home Depot's
        >>price on their medium-sized ones? I need a few more for marking pockets
        >>for barrels. Thanks.)<<
        Certainly, see above. You could also check White Cap Construction supplies
        online (located off Brokaw in San Jose). That's where we get construction
        supplies from. Just let me know if you'd prefer to buy them new vs. fresh
        off the highway (I could grab some for you that are clearly extraneous and
        not being well-loved next time I'm out on a job site- but ours are pretty
        large. I'm not sure waht size HD's medium ones are :-).

        -Marguerite

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2004
          Oh, my comparison below was from the "fill with water or sand" bases to the
          heavy rubber bases -- not to the road pylons or whatever the appropriate
          technical term is (delinators I guess...) <G> although I would love three
          of them for toys for my younger horses that still like to entertain
          themselves....

          No, the delinator bases meet all the necessary requirements for being safe,
          don't blow over, can be trampled without injury to the horse or rider, etc.