Reminder - Altavia/Darach Equestrian Practice This SUNDAY, 29th Sept!!!

  • Natalie W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2013
       On behalf of our intrepid organizer, Mistress Mayken, just a reminder that equestrian practices are starting up again in the Altavia/Darach area! Please join us at our new, spiff location at a new spiff time! I am Marshal in Charge on Sunday so if you would like to talk about authorizing as an equestrian, or becoming an equestrian marshal in training, please let me know!!! I am also actively recruiting ground crew to train. If you'd like an introduction to all things equine, please come along...."Horse 101" is happening (and you will just LOVE the teaching model! She's cute, she's fluffy, she's 35 inches tall and goes to war!)

      Come "mundane" or in your SCA garb--it's entirely optional...but I do recommend sturdy footwear with a real sole and heel. No soft soled shoes please! They are a safety hazard around horses.

      ~ariadne

      ---Reminder Message Attached--

      Greetings to the Equestrians of Darach and Altavia (and beyond)!

      With the kind support of Darach Shire, the owner of Swanhill Farms and Lady Ariadne, I am pleased to announce we will begin holding monthly EQ practices again starting Sunday, September 29th. Folks are welcome to arrive by 9:15am and should be ready to ride by 10am. We will practice til 12:30. Volunteers for set up and tear down - which should be minimal since most of the equipment is kept either in or near the arena - kindly requested.

      Ground crew volunteers are also most welcome!

      Swanhill Farms is located at 8500 Waters Rd in Moorpark, off the 118 between Moorpark proper and Somis. Take your best route to the CA 118/E. Los Angeles Ave. and turn onto Balcom Canyon Rd (if coming from the West you can only turn left and if coming from the East you can only turn right.) In about 1.5 miles, turn right onto Stockton Rd. Follow Stockton for about 2 miles and turn left on Waters Rd. The ranch is actually at the very end of Waters road. Be aware Google
      maps and a lot of GPS units put 8500 a block early. The pavement will end and you'll proceed on the dirt road into the ranch parking area.

      Please don't park past the "No Cars Beyond This Point" signs and, of course, don't obstruct the roads. The arena is a bit away from the parking area. If you have any equipment you want to bring or weapons you cannot carry to the arena, we can shuttle it in my truck.

      At this time we don't have any loaner mounts on site. This may change.

      Going forward we'll be trying to do practice once a month on a Sunday (probably 2nd or 3rd Sunday of the month) as always working around holidays, SCA events and the weather.

      Please feel free to contact me at mayken at yahoo dot com if you have any questions, suggestions or want to help out.

      YIS,

      Mayken de Houtman

      Melius vivit qui medicinae et mechanica partes utitur