quintain head?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2013
    • henrikofhavn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2013
        I'm not sure of the intent here, but a foam lance tip, which is what this could serve as, needs to be more substantial if it is intended to strike quintains. The plastic coronal lance tips, such as historic Enterprises sells ( for under $10 each, last time I checked), are much harder and still break occasionally when used for balsa jousting, when they strike wooden ecranch shields. A foam tip would simply deaden impact a little and so reduce the force of a strike, which is not desirable if making the quintain turn rapidly is the intended goal.

        If putting one on the front end of a foam jousting lance tip is the intent, it might work, but would require carving the 2 inch diameter end of the styrofoam tip, down to accomodate the smaller socket diameter of the foam head, which seems to be around 1 and 1/8 to 1 and 1/4 inches. At $35 each, that is a lot of expense for little, if any, benefit.

        Henrik

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Karp <diannekarp@...> wrote:

        > http://anvilhead.squarespace.com/forms/silver-fist-of-fury
        >
        > Siobhan ni Seaghdha, OP
        > Dianne Karp

      • henrikofhavn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2013
          Furniture leg tips and crutch tips are made of rubber or plastic, are available in all sorts of sizes, can be carved and or painted as desired, are designed for substantial loading such as impacts with quintains would produce and are available in most hardware stores where they usually cost under $5 each.

          I have used them on lance tips for quintain strikes with good results.

          Henrik