EHV1 Outbreak/Santa Barbara - No Equines At King's Hunt

  • Natalie W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013
      Greetings
      There's been a confirmed outbreak of EHV1 in the Santa Barbara area. EHV1 is a disease that affecting horses (not harmful to people or pets though). While most horse owners vaccinate their horses against EHV1, the neuropathic form is almost always fatal and the vectors for it's spread are not clearly understood and could therefore put even vaccinated animals at risk.

      The California State Dept of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) has issued a recommendation to avoid horse movement in and out of the area in and around Santa Barbara/Goleta. While Live Oak Camp, site of this weekend's event is not a permanent stabling site, it is nonetheless a busy equestrian event venue near Santa Barbara with lots of horses going in and out of there almost every day which could represent a danger of EHV1 infection for visiting equines for the near term.

      As Equestrian marshal and coordinator for the event, I'm afraid I can't in good conscience recommend horses be brought to the site so near an active EHV1 outbreak. I don't want to put anyone's animals at risk. I therefore regret to advise all of you that the equine portion of the event will not take place. The rest of the event will go on as planned.

      In Service,
      Lady Ariadne De Glevo
      Equestrian Coordinator, King's Hunt

      Official information from the State Dept. Of Food & Agriculture:
      March 25, 2013: A Welsh Cross gelding in Santa Barbara County displaying neurologic signs on March 20, 2013 has been confirmed positive for the non-neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpesvirus -1 (EHV-1). http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/equine_herpes_virus.html

      Melius vivit qui medicinae et mechanica partes utitur