Maximillian Play Day - West Kingdom Spring Equestrian Event - April 13th

  • David Walters
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hey folks,
      Here's some information on the April equestiran play day.  We're in full swing planning the activities.  Please drop me a line if you'd like to help with preparing for the event or have ideas for other activities you would enjoy.

      Here's the expanded page copy:
      Maximillian Play Day  West Kingdom Spring Equestrian Event - April 13th, 2003
      Join us for a day of revelry and play in the spirit of Maximillian!  16th century German garb is admired, but not a requirement.
      Equestrians - Come test your skill against the shock quintain!  Demonstrate your sword cutting technique! (We're thinking cabbages).  Shield Spearing Races! (You and your challeneger each spear a shield, first one to return to the start wins.  Or you can try it solo).  Demonstrate your mounted archery prowess at stationary targets or with a moving target in Moghu.  You may also take part in a treasure/scavenger hunt for those wishing to explore the nooks and crannies of the play area!  Or you can participate in the Provost's Challenge to keep our encampment safe by catching the Swiss Spy (done twice - walk/trot and walk/trot/canter).

      For those wishing to observe activities from the gallery, a number of card and dice games will be taught/played at the event including:
      Card Games: Landsknecht,  Ruff and Honors, Poxy Bastard,  Karnöffel  Dice Games:  Glückhaus,  Doppel,  Six Dice,  Hazard,  Ship's Dice
      If you like to play with your food, Flidais Ni Eitigen will be facilitating a cook’s play-day.
      In the evening, there will be a pot luck dinner including a roast pig.  Please bring a dish to share if you wish to partake. Period food is admired, but not required. Remember to bring your own serving dishes & utensils.  I'll be bringing Rotköhl/Blaukraut as well.
      Site Information: Pacheco State Park, 38787 Dinosaur Point Road, Hollister, CA.  Site fee will be $10 for the day or $15 for those camping.  Non-member surcharge will apply.  This fee includes the parking charges for the park.
      Site open: 8 am.   Site closes 8 pm. (Arrangements have been made for those humans and horses wishing to camp Friday and/or Saturday evenings) There are pipe pens and a few large pens available.  Please contact Hamish to reserve space.
      Autocrat and EQ MiC:  Hamish MacGowan
      Directions: From Hwy 101 - Take Hwy 152 East. Dinosaur Point Rd is on the Right just after the truck weigh station. The Park will be on the Right.
      From I-5 - Take Hwy 152 West. Dinosaur Point Rd is on the left near the top of a hill where the lanes reduce from 3 to 2. There are signs for Pacheco State Park as you need to merge over. The Park will be on the Right once you are on Dinosaur Point Rd.
    • David Walters

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2013
          What is the status of rental or loaner horses for this event?

          Last year some of us had an issue with the gopher and/or ground squirrel holes all over the place. Will there be better footing this time?

          Henrik

          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, David Walters <wyllow@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > apply.  This fee includes the parking
          > charges for the park.
          > Site
          > open:8 am.   Site
          > closes 8 pm. (Arrangements have been made for those humans and horses wishing
          > to camp Friday and/or Saturday evenings) There are pipe pens and a few large
          > pens available.  Please contact Hamish to
          > reserve space.
          > Autocrat
          > and EQ MiC:  Hamish MacGowan
          > Directions: From Hwy 101 - Take Hwy 152 East.
          > Dinosaur Point Rd is on the Right just after the truck weigh station. The Park
          > will be on the Right.
          > From I-5 - Take Hwy 152 West. Dinosaur Point Rd is on the left near the top of
          > a hill where the lanes reduce from 3 to 2. There are signs for Pacheco State
          > Park as you need to merge over. The Park will be on the Right once you are on

        • David Walters
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
            There was insufficient interest in rental horses for anything to be set up.  In terms of loaners, you'd need to contact horse owners directly.

            The footing is roughly unchanged as this is a normal pasture area, although we'll be using the road for some of the games to provide better footing.

            Let me know if you have other questions,
            Hamish