Re: FW: USDA Adopts Animal Disease Traceability Program

  • Scianna Augustine
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013

      And I have actually been stopped, coming into CA from NV on I-15 with horses. We had to park the vehicle, get out, take our papers into the Ag station, and wait for someone to give them a cursory inspection. Of course, that was the only time in eight years we had to show paperwork on the road…but we were awfully glad we had brand inspections, health certs, and a Coggins test to show!

      --Sionnach

    • Nancy Reimers
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
        On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Ducessa Aurora Komnene <byzduchess@...> wrote:

        Else, a question you may be able to answer.  We all recognize that a 30-day health cert at best can really only assert that the animal didn't exhibit any signs of illness at the time of the appointment the health certificate was issued.  Is it valid to view the health cert more as providing a fixed point in time of known good health on the animal (a baseline as it were) in case of any outbreaks than anything else?

         - A

        Sorry missed this one when it first came through.  I'm cleaning out my inbox today.

        "Fixed point in time of good health" - That's probably a reasonable assessment.  To cover my ass I prefer the "didn't exhibit any signs of illness".  It is entirely possible for a critter not to be in good health, but to fall within normal limits on a physical exam.  Some of the new interpretations on Veterinary-Client-Patient relationship and doing flock/herd inspections muddy these definitions up a bit more.

        Health Certs really are the only thing that sucks more than pre-purchase exams.