Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: FW: USDA Adopts Animal Disease Traceability Program

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
      There was a great deal of strum and draug a couple of years back about "everyone will need this just to travel in a trailer from their house to a trail head"    Which, of course, made no sense at all.

       I will still ask the bug station guys - not like I cant just chose to go home that way one day.

      On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Nancy Reimers <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

      On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Dianne Karp <diannekarp@...> wrote:
      The practical difference might be that NO ONE has ever asked to see any papers when coming into Calif before!  Not from Nv and not from Oregon!

      And truthfully, I don't know that this reg would increase the vigilance of the Ag Inspectors.  As I read it, what it adds to the current program is a means of tracking which horses traveled during an outbreak and what is their likely current location.

    • Nancy Reimers
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013

        On Jan 17, 2013 12:43 PM, "Dianne Karp" <diannekarp@...> wrote:

        >  I will still ask the bug station guys - not like I cant just chose to go home that way one day.

        Absolutely!  I completely encourage asking.

        Truth be told, there is only one country in the world that I write Health Certs to with out double checking the requirements each time, and that's because someone else checks them for me. I always double check the state requirements, each time. It's too easy for some minor outbreak of something to crop up and change what is needed that week.

        Else

      • Ducessa Aurora Komnene
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
          As with everything else in life, individual people's mileage will vary.

          I expect it may have more to do with the "what" your doing with the horse than the mere transiting of the "where".  (As in, I went to the Paso Robles Paint Horse Show, or Pacific Coast Quarter Horse Show or Sale, Rancho Murietta show, etc.  Importing horses from Dubai for a race?  Polo teams coming into country for a match, etc.)

          Hauling a California Horse to Los Alamitos Race Course I had to show coggins & health, even though the horse had not been out of state, before the race secretary would accept the horse on the grounds; hauling same horse directly from Los Alamitos to a track in Washington, the receiving track couldn't have cared less.  These cases it appears to be more about the show producer's policy, and I have seen several shows that require it if your from out of state.  Perhaps this is the show producer's policy as a result of whatever the State/Fed happen to have on the books regardless of actual or current enforcement.

          I know the Canadians that ride our pro-rodeo circuit up in the border states wind up bringing their horses across the border at the start of the season and do have to show Customs all the paperwork.  They then board their horses at a ranch on the US side until the end of the season as it's cheaper & easier than the constant paperwork of going back & forth between the two countries.  (If I remember correctly this has more to do with the issues of getting back into Canada - I don't believe Canada gives them 30 days on the health cert.)

          Oregon I've only ever had to show papers to the ranches where I was overnighting the horses - again, not a consistent request as the fairgrounds I overnighted at didn't care.

          CA:  Haul up to our ranch in WA & back to CA, say the magic words that the horse hasn't been out of California for more than 14 days and they don't care.  Say three months and I've had them ask for the papers.  Tell the agent it's movement from from one of our properties going back to another one of our properties, that agent didn't care.

          Now here's the crazy thing - just about every time we bring a load of alfalfa back the Truckee bug station is checking it out and issuing a inspection certificate.  It's from a California ranch at the NV border (Topaz) so one winds up passing through NV back into CA on the way back to Sac.

          Nevada - I've seen the rigs pulled over by the brand inspector (frequently? no - not by any means, unless a Highway Patrolman's daughter's horse was recently stolen, then we ALL were getting stopped :-) ).  I've also seen the brand inspectors at high school rodeos, the snaffle bit futurity, etc.

          ...and I've been to plenty of gymkhanas and shows were nothing was asked for (no surprise visits from brand inspectors, etc.), lots of interstate travel, etc no checks, nothing (like Tami's experience).

          Else, a question you may be able to answer.  We all recognize that a 30-day health cert at best can really only assert that the animal didn't exhibit any signs of illness at the time of the appointment the health certificate was issued.  Is it valid to view the health cert more as providing a fixed point in time of known good health on the animal (a baseline as it were) in case of any outbreaks than anything else?

           - A

          On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Tami Huntley <navywife_92006@...> wrote:
          Hi,

          Neither state does anything.  They claim to but don't.  We were in the military and did multiple moves across country (California to South Carolina, then to up upstate New York, Washington State, finally to finish in Monterey CA - never an easy or close move). We moved our horses with us each time.  The only state that requested any papers was PA. No one else checked anything, quarantined, or did anything or any sort.  Not saying they won't check but they never did for us.  I did make sure I had coggins and brand inspection but never needed them.

          Tami

          Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
          Recent Activity:

          This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

          .

          --

          Thank you,

           -  A

          Ducessa Aurora Komnene
            Kingdom IT

            Cynagua Lists
            Deputy to Baroness Katrina, Cynagua Seneschal
          Si Vis Pacern Parabellum

        • Scianna Augustine
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013

            And I have actually been stopped, coming into CA from NV on I-15 with horses. We had to park the vehicle, get out, take our papers into the Ag station, and wait for someone to give them a cursory inspection. Of course, that was the only time in eight years we had to show paperwork on the road…but we were awfully glad we had brand inspections, health certs, and a Coggins test to show!

            --Sionnach

          • Nancy Reimers
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
              On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Ducessa Aurora Komnene <byzduchess@...> wrote:

              Else, a question you may be able to answer.  We all recognize that a 30-day health cert at best can really only assert that the animal didn't exhibit any signs of illness at the time of the appointment the health certificate was issued.  Is it valid to view the health cert more as providing a fixed point in time of known good health on the animal (a baseline as it were) in case of any outbreaks than anything else?

               - A

              Sorry missed this one when it first came through.  I'm cleaning out my inbox today.

              "Fixed point in time of good health" - That's probably a reasonable assessment.  To cover my ass I prefer the "didn't exhibit any signs of illness".  It is entirely possible for a critter not to be in good health, but to fall within normal limits on a physical exam.  Some of the new interpretations on Veterinary-Client-Patient relationship and doing flock/herd inspections muddy these definitions up a bit more.

              Health Certs really are the only thing that sucks more than pre-purchase exams.