Reminder: Cynaguan Mounted Combat Workshop with Theresa Wendland, Guest Instructor

  • Nancy Reimers
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2012

      Cynaguan Mounted Combat Workshop with Theresa Wendland, Guest Instructor

      November 17-18. 2012

      River Rock Cobs, Brown’s Valley, CA

      https://www.facebook.com/events/360042480733991/

      Come join us for two days of applied Classical Dressage and documentable Mounted Combat skills and techniques.  This workshop is open to all levels of riders!

      Theresa says: “I would like everyone to participate in as much of the riding for combat class as they feel comfortable with. I like to encourage people to try things safely and do as much as they feel comfortable doing. I am happy to have people drop out and audit if something is over their heads or give them a different task space provided. Depending on numbers, we could split into groups.
      Also, for Sunday's classes, I think that most people will be able to participate at least at a basic level. The techniques that we will be working on are very simple and we will not be asking much of the horses.”

      The basic schedule for the weekend is as follows:

      Saturday, November 17th, Starting on the ground at 10 am.  We will take a lunch break around noon.

      1. 1)    *Introduction to Theresa’s Theory’s of Mounted Combat and Medieval Horsemanship (Unmounted)

        2)    *Riding for combat- This class will cover the basics of riding for various forms of combat. We will gauge distances for armed and unarmed fights, look at: tactical directions and angles of approach; using your horse's body and bend to you your advantage (and opponent's disadvantage); and tactical voids.  (Auditors welcome.  If you would like to ride, bring your own horse or arrange to borrow one.)

        3)    *Rolling and falling- We will begin from the ground to work on comfort and mechanics in rolling and falling including back falls side falls, and forward rolls, and backward rolls. We will then begin to increase the height and difficulty of rolls and falls until we ease into falling from horseback. This class will serve as a basis for combat (and riding!) safety as well as provide a good mechanical foundation for wrestling on the ground and in the saddle.  (“Stunt” ponies provided)

        Sunday, November 18th, Tacked up and ready to ride at 10 am.  We will take a lunch break around noon.

        4)    *Wrestling from horseback- Wrestling is based on structure and a good seat. We will work on good centered balance and structure in the saddle and then learn how to break that structure. We will primarily look at the setups of a few basic throws from various medieval Italian and German manuscripts (Fiore, Kal, Talhoffer) assessing rider and horse position. Depending on horses and comfort levels, we can work on safely taking each other from the saddle to the ground to try some techniques from start to finish.   (Auditors welcome.  If you would like to ride, bring your own horse or arrange to borrow one.)

        5)    *Intro to Fiore's sword in one hand- This class will begin on the ground to learn specific mechanics of guards, cuts, thrusts, and plays of the sword in one hand from Fiore dei Liberi's Il Fiore di Battaglia. We will then move the class into a horseback section where we will look at how the mechanics of sword on horseback remain the same and how they change. We will work on cuts and thrusts, timing these with a horse's stride, an how timing changes in the saddle. We will then practice a few of the plays of Fiore's sword on horseback. (Auditors welcome.  If you would like to ride, bring your own horse or arrange to borrow one.)

        6)    *Semi-private mini lessons - Theresa is willing to teach a limited number of lessons as time allows on Sunday afternoon.  If you are interested in riding, please sign up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArxbGb-zOH_AdEVfdFVETzhhVU9NcDkzNEQ4TFZORWc before November 15th.  We will be creating a lesson schedule based on the order that folks signed in. (Auditors welcome.  If you would like to ride, bring your own horse or arrange to borrow one.)