Re: Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Weight Gain Methods: Recommendations

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23, 2012
      What does the vet say?

      If you are talking about the Qtr/Arab cross, please keep in mind that many Arabs, Arab crosses and Morgans are VERY fit even when looking very lean.  I am thinking of both Kazar and Ebony.  Al Tekes fall into this category too,

      On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Michael Canfield <dcamville@...> wrote:

      Awesome! This is super advice. Thank you!

      On Aug 23, 2012, Nancy Reimers <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

      Richard - I think you've gotten some really good answers on what to try.  I have just a little bit to add.

      Unless you have a scale or a lot of experience running horses across scales, pounds of muscle are a hard thing to estimate in the field.

      What can be more useful is body condition scoring.  Things to remember about BCS:

      1)  There are a couple of different scales out there.  The most commonly used one is a base ten.  There is also a base five scale, which is less commonly used, but I know of a website that covers it well.

      2)  BCS in horses is based on palpation.  I am loathe to link to internet sites that teach BCS, because invariably the sites use pictures and then folks get the idea that they can BCS with their eyes.

      3)  BC Scoring refers to FAT deposition, not muscle (which is a point that commonly gets missed).

      4)  There is no one BCS that is perfect for every classification of horse.

      5)  BCS is independant of confirmation.

      Getting back to your question of "anything else?".  I would recommend learning how to Body Condition Score, so that you can monitor your horse's progress.  I would invest in a good blanket or series of blankets so you don't waste calories on staying warm on cool evening and later cold days.  I might use alfalfa rather than an alfalfa grass mix if I felt the extra protein was warranted.  Above all, whether adding fat or adding muscle, I would NOT try to accomplish it in one day.  You may find that you add fat with calories, increase your BCS, and then convert that fat to muscle, decrease your BCS (if you use half points), add more fat and repeat the cycle.  Remember, it will take longer to add the muscle than is did for the horse to lose the muscle.

      Good Luck,

      On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Michael Canfield <dcamville@...> wrote:

      I believe I need to edit this questions a little. Please allow me to try again.

      QUESTION: You have adopted a horse from a local horse rescue. The horse in overall good health, vet checked well, but really needs to put on about 100+ pounds in muscle to be able to perform at its best and be happy. What would you feed in addition to free feed pasture grass, proveded forage 9pasure grass/alfalfa mix), basic vitamin/joint suppliments and senior "stable mix" to help with healthy weight gain? An exercise/training program is already developed and in place. We have heard from some folks that rice bran and beet pulp is good. Anything else!