Eq Activities at Crown

  • Nancy Reimers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2012
      I had a great weekend playing with my big pony and my friends.

      Friday started with an early alarm and horses going in the trailer at 4:45 as we wanted to make it through Sac pre-traffic.  It was a blissfully uneventful haul up to Quincy and the autocrat allowed us to unload and get the horses settled when we arrived at around 10:30.  After set up, we even had time to take Mousse, Remington, and Malorie out to watch the set up activities and eat carrot pellets from folks.  Jean and Ken pulled in with Sparky, Winston and Zephyr in tow after dinner.

      Saturday am involved some early morning feeding followed by a leisurely breakfast for the humans.  I missed Invocation as I decide Mousse and Mal needed some turnout time in the arena before we expected them to behave themselves during the rest of the days activities.  While Tuireadha taught her horse 102 class, I hung out on the back rail with Prince Richard chatting about equitation until we were able to start his sword work class.

      The sword class provided a nice basis for shots one could use in crest and mounted combat.  I also really liked to work out suggestions especially as my forearm and wrist were really angry with me by the end of the day.  As all the students were authorized riders, we elected to climb on our critters and practice some of the recently acquired knowledge under His Highness's watchful eye.  It was really great to work though the potential parries and ripostes.  I found that I actually prefer using the quintain for mounted pell practice as it allowed me to incorporate the hoof work and not merely sit on my horse swinging a sword.

      After class we went for a short ride down to the rodeo arena and visited with some of the 4-H kids and then out around the paved road around the list field.  A quick trip by the muck crews and some settling of horses later we retired to the pavilion for a late lunch and some tourney watching.  Post finals it was back to the arena for a round table discussion learning and executing patterns and courses that morphed in to an interesting discussion on competition mind set.

      We then took the horses out in hand to see the pavilions and banners and eat more grass and carrot pellets.

      Sunday it was up early to feed and start washing off the big stains a little after eight.  By a bit after 9 we were out on the field with horses in hand for a Fiore overview with Herre Staffan.  Staffan took each individual through a couple of the simple plates and then we hopped on, warmed up and practiced a bit with short spear and long swords.  Heinrich and I walked through one of the long sword binds together.  Basically, you catch the parry, hook your pommel around their wrist, and ride your horse away.  It was awesome!  Is it wrong that I really wanted to see if I could pull my husband off his horse?

      Sword and spear drills moved on to Pato (or Conejo as I couldn't find the AFLAC Duck I had promised to bring, but the GP bunny polo rabbit was handy).  Riders climbed on, riders climbed off.  A dance competition and a rapier tourney happened on the other end of the field.  Everybody had a good time and nobody got hurt.

      T-rah will have the real totals, but I believe there were 6 horses, 13 adults and 6 minors that rode.

      Else
    • David Walters
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2012
        Sounds like fun.  Sorry I missed it.
        -Hamish
      • quincydew@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 27, 2012
          I wanted to thank you guys for letting this An Tirian come play on the ponies on Sunday. Winston made my day so bright! Loved playing keep away with him! Thanks to everyone who worked hard to get horses to the event!

          Drifa
        • Jean Terry
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012
            AWW!
            So glad you enjoyed him! We think of Winston kinda like a big stuffed toy.
            It was wonderful to see him and Sparkie -(Thanks Siobhan :) having fun with other people and we love to share when appropriate.
            Thanks Drifa you guys looked great -as did Sioban with Sparkie!
            jean