RE: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: [AnTir-Horse] An Tir/West War - West/An Tir War 2012 and Horses - Updates

  • Troy Griffith
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2012

      As a party to the discussion at Hocktide AND the person who was the marshal in charge when horses returned to the war a few year back and therefore the one who picked the location across the road, I will try to answer address this question until Macha has the time to reply. ;>

      Amongst the concerned expressed about the location near the barn where:

      The belief that there is not enough room to do set up and run all the activities riders have expressed interest in; mounted archery is just one example.

      Camping encroachment on the equestrian area. When general camping begins to get tight, the land set aside for the horse folk starts to look like pretty prime real-estate.

      Less than idea footing for the equestrian activities. (Perhaps I am understating this particular concern. ;> )

      I am personally a great fan of integrating horse activities into events, as I think most people know. That being said, I still prefer a buffer between horse and non-horse camping. I am more comfortable with the knowledge that wayward children or intoxicated adults or simply someone wandering around in the dark, will not find themselves somewhere it would be better they not be.

      The location across the road is a large area with plenty of room for horse owners to camp with their horses. It is "contained" in that there is one entrance which can be closes if wished. Should a horse get loose and start running around, there is little chance of it getting too far. The field is fairly level and has good footing, for a field; at least it did when we used it. There was room for us to set up a large, mirrored challenge course that year, a tilt and have a mounted archery demonstration. As for fencing the equestrian area, I believe Macha is mentioning this out of habit as An Tir rules state the equestrian activity area must be delineated and clearly marked. I personally believe the area across the road is self-delineated and requires no further fencing or markers, but that would be up to the EQ Marshal who steps forward to run things.

      Negatives to using this area include:

      It is a bit of walk for people to come and watch. If a solid schedule of events is not set up and followed closely, the people making the walk up to observe find themselves sitting around and waiting for things to happen. This is true of any horse event, but made more important by the distance of the walk. Obviously the distance is not a issue for the horse folk wanting to ride down to the main area as this is precisely why people started riding horses.  Those interested in taking part in the foot combat of the war would find it a long walk in armor. Perhaps someone will bring a cart or wagon to help with hauling to the battlefield. ;>

      Okay, that is the only negative I can think of. ;>

      That first year it was a serious hassle to ride out of the area as we needed outwalkers, bells on our horses and to gather everyone who wanted to ride out of the area together at one time. This would not be an issue anymore with the whole war site designate horse area. This is assuming this year's war is designated a fully integrated horse event site, meaning everyone signs the EQ wavier at the gate, then we would be able to hop on our horses and ride down to the main area at will. People brining horses could still put their horses in stalls in the barn and camp near them if they wished and therefore be nearer the main activities of the event, then saddle up and ride up to the area across the road to take advantage of the greater room and better footing available there for the horse only activities. Certainly the best of both worlds; allowing, those who wish, to be close to their non-eq friends, while allowing those who would prefer the assured peace and quiet as well as the security provided in the other area.

      Having said all this, I am far from certain my Lady and myself will be able to afford to attend the War this year at all, let alone bring our horses, BUT if we did, we would certainly prefer to camp and take part in EQ activities in the upper area to that which can be accommodated near the barn.

      I hope I have answered your questions.

      Sir William Brannan

      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2012
        I, too, liked the area by the barn better.  The year I was there, however, the eq tents were not close enough to the barn   There was discussion about roping off the area south of the barn for hot tape pens surrounded by eq tents.  Don't know if it happened as I was not there the next year.

        I, too, like being more central to the rest of the events.

        Siobhan

        On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Nancy Reimers <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

        On May 16, 2012 4:47 AM, "HL Macha the Determined" <macha@...> wrote:

        > 1. Location of equestrian area: some equestrians have expressed concerns about the equestrian field and equestrian camping arrangements that were used for the last West/ An Tir War and have indicated that the large hay field used for the first time horses were at the event at that site - though across the road from the main event - would be preferable. The event steward emailed me that the site owner is willing to let us use the first year location.

        Macha - I didn't have any issues with the field next to the barn, in fact I found the central to the rest of the activities location to be one to the huge advantages of having horses at that war. Could you share what the concerns were?  Also I was not there the first year so I am not familiar with that field, but why would one need to fence the riding field?

      • Nancy Reimers
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2012

          Thank you William.  It's nice to hear the other half of the telephone conversation :)

          Macha, William, Drifa and whoever else is on here from AnTir - While I can not make the War this year due to a prior commitment, I do enjoy attending it occassionally.  Some of the emails and social messaging of the last week makes me wonder if the equestrian communities of the West and AnTir have some inter-kingdom-"equesto-anthropolgy" issues we need to talk through to promote the health of Eq activities at future wars?

          Does anyone want to meet for dinner in Wilsonville, OR on May 30th to explore IKE-A?  I know of an awesome Morrocan restaurant.

          Else

        • henrikofhavn
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2012
            I can't comment regarding the Barn nor use of it's vacinity, since I wasn't there when horses were there, but I can echo Sir Wiliam's comments about the upper across the road site, since I was there when it was used.

            Regarding stray people having too easy access to horses , at SCA events - I very strongly remember an equestrian event held quite a few years ago at Big Trees ( in The West ) where I observed an unattended toddler wander up behind a picket line tied draft horse. To my horror ( because I was too far away to intercede ) I saw the horse lift it's right rear foot and move it backward towards the toddler which it connected with gently on it's stomach, pushing it backwards so it sat down uninjured. Then it's mother came rushing over and snatched up the child unhurt ( and likely was embarrassed for letting the toddler get into a dangerous situation that fortunately turned out ok) and whisked it away.

            It was obvious that the ease with which the child ( or anyone of any age or condition) was able to approach a horse so closely, unauthorized, is a failing that can occur at any time and place, and no matter how carefully we try to prevent such unintended contacts between horse and human, sooner or later they can happen. By careful selection of location as well as enforcing rules and safe practices, they can hopefully be kept to a minimum.

            I'd like to attend the War his year, but recent excessive and unforseen personal expenditures may prevent doing so.

            Henrik