Fwd: [WestKingdomEQ] Questions

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 5:02 PM
      Meant for the list, sorry!

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Dianne Karp <diannekarp@...>
      Date: Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM
      Subject: Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Questions
      To: byzduchess@...

      Know your limits and listen to them while working to push beyond them

      In other words: There is no honor in trying to ride faster/harder/longer/crazier than you - or your horse - are ready for.  But, when you find something that is currently beyond you, use it as a new goal to work towards.

      Siobhan

      On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Ducessa Aurora Komnene <byzduchess@...> wrote:

      Not necessarily things I wish I had been told; but things I think are good to tell new riders (these are all riding adages for a good reason):

      “Heels down, toes up”

      “Quiet Mind, Quiet Horse”

      Don’t ride with one hand gripping your cantle (not necessarily “gripping” as in hanging on.  It’s a bad habit some new riders will want to get into, more of a “There’s a shelf back there and I feel like putting my hand on it” kind of a thing).

      And the list could be huge, but so much of it is situational; I could go into a long list of trail etiquette, arena etiquette, etc.  However all those things are things that a trainer should be covering with you as you walk through each phase, from opening the gate with halter & lead rope in hand to catch your horse for your first lesson.

      I think the first two I listed are probably the most important as everything else is built from there.

      -          A