fun with wind and barns

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2012
      Another wind storm last night - second one this week with 60+mph winds at my house. After 5+ years of withstanding windstorms, my barn came down last night. Pieces all over the pasture. Horses fled to back pasture (available the wind kindly took the fence panels with it when it took the barn panels. All seem OK (whew) but convincing them to go with me over to the round pen was interesting. The mares stuck their heads in their halters and walked with me. The geldings were loose behind. The wind kept kicking up, scaring the mares so scaring the geldings. Got the mares in the pen. Boys running around in the wind. Dog 'helping' (remind me to kill the dog later). Captured one boy only to realize that he had torn both front buckles to his blanket and would need the blanket replacing before putting in round pen. Tie him. Coax other boy to stop running and come to me. Put in pen. Take other boy over to tack shed. tie him. Fiddle in howling wind with blanket off/new blanket on. Feed. Hope wind does not blow all the hay away before they can eat it. Get water to them. Crap - well has no power. Re-set switch - sound of"" "hummmm click." Breaker will not re-set. many bad words. And it was now only 730AM....................

      Update.  Staying home from work.

      Power fixed (nice to have neighbors who are electricians, etc).  Call to ins company made.  Horses seem uninjured (wow, amazing) but still unhappy about the wind and not windbreak.   Searching for company to build new barn.  Anyone want a job?

      Wind still gusting.  Snow and hail.  More due tonight and tomorrow.  Then back tom 50 degrees and sun.

      Ah, the joys of country living.