Metal findings for mounts and pendants

  • juliana_of_avon
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
      This is the ebay seller that we prefer to buy from.

      http://stores.ebay.com/Cherry-Street?_trksid=p4340.l2563

      Same story. We solder the findings to chicago screws or rivets. Some have holes that we trim off.

      Happy crafting!

      Juliana
    • Laurie Frohn
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
        Thank you for this wonderful resource!

        On Nov 1, 2011, juliana_of_avon <la3luna@...> wrote:

        I have had the same issue with finding proper mounts. We buy findings off ebay and solder them onto chicago screws or rivets.

        This seller has interesting findings.
        http://stores.ebay.com/Accent-Factory?_trksid=p4340.l2563

        Hope that helps?

        Juliana

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Antonie Dvorakova" <advorak@...> wrote:

        > Else,
        >
        > It was indeed the case that none of the modern conchos I ever found looked sufficiently close to historically accurate (peri-iod enough) to me. Although should any of them be suitable, that would have made things easy, and possibly also more affordable (which is the ever-important concern of mine :-). So I wanted to check that it was not just my own (insufficiently educated) impression...
        >
        > Thank you very much for your fast response,
        > Antonie
        >
        > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Reimers <nancyreimers@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Antonie,
        > >
        > > The short answer is that none of them are based on documentable designs to
        > > our place and time.
        > >
        > > In general, I find the the period mounts tend towards radial symetetry.
        > > One of the things to do is look at the cast findings from places like
        > > Raymond's Quiet Press and Talbots to educate your eye and then go shopping
        > > on the concho sites to see what you like and what looks peri-iod to you.
        > >
        > > I realize that doesn't actually answer your question, but the ultimate
        > > answer of appropriate is going to vary with each person's definition of
        > > Documentable vs Affordable vs Pretty.
        > >
        > > Else
        > > On Oct 31, 2011 7:36 AM, "Antonie Dvorakova" <advorak@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > Which conchos (if any) from the website:
        > > > http://www.outwestsaddlery.com/html/brass__bronze___stainless_conc.html(mentioned in the first presentation) would be appropriate for the period?
        > > > Thank you,
        > > > Antonie

      • Nancy Reimers
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011

          There are some yummy ones here.
          For the folks that are planning to work in fabric, I could see where the little loops would even help as sew on attachment points.

          Else

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
            Alloria,
            I ended up deleting that message because I inserted the wrong Ebay Seller. <sheepish grin>

            Try Cherry Street, I think she has more of a selection, good quality and is very fast to ship.

            http://stores.ebay.com/Cherry-Street?_trksid=p4340.l2563

            Metal ox findings are like crack. There is just WAY too much to do with them. Happy shopping!
          • Laurie Frohn
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
              Juliana-
              Actually the first link you advised has some things I find I can use in the near future!  That makes it a happy accident, I suppose.

              Have a great day!

              Alloria

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2011
                Well then perfect!
                I have not shopped with that particular Ebay Seller before, so I am not sure if their findings will be sturdy enough for what we like to do with them. I have bought brass ox findings before that were paper thin and not solid enough for standing up to horses. I do know that the ones sold at Cherry Street should be good enough for most barding and bridlery applications.

                ~J

                Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Gaston Phebus - "Dressing Horses, Hounds, and Humans" - Workshops and Resources