Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Gaston Phebus - Bow and Stable Hunt - Research and Development

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
      What is a mogu ball, pray?

      Siobhan

      On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Elsie <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=212hUESTv3c

      Research and Development for the Bow and Stable Hunt. We have specially padded foam arrows to minimize bounce back and they drop like a rock which keeps the bounces below the horses knees (the last shot was the highest bounce we managed to get all day, and we were trying). The drag further minimizes bounce back by the way it is stuffed.

      Targeting is fairly simple both for new mounted archers (Me in red shirt) and lower level riders (Heinrich in first mounted shot - the fourth arrow he ever released from the back of a horse).

      Don't forget to take advantage of the last of the dry weather to polish up the Mounted Archery Skills for you and your horse so that you can be authorized by spring if you are not already. Having trained horses that are comfortable with the sounds of arrows being released and hitting targets will be important. In addition to Mogu, there will be a couple of stations on the Hunt Course that involve archery - remember stand is a perfectly acceptable gait and that all stations are optional.

      For those of you that have done mobile pig sticking in the past, I found that riding at the mogu ball involved similar skills and difficulty. I found that for me my targeting was better with mogu than with archery from the ground or riding past stationary targets.

      Remember if you don't want to shoot, we will also need horses that will pull a drag (and be ok with the sound of arrows flying and hitting the drag).

      Happy Hunting,

      Else

      PS The roan quarter pony that Heinrich and I borrowed is for sale.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
        We've had demos of this sort of thing a AW war - the folks who showed us were AWESOME

        envy drool

        Siobhan

        On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Nancy Reimers <nancyreimers@...> wrote:
        The Mogu Ball is the drag that we are shooting at.  We, and by we I mean Daffyd and Morrighan, are adapting this form of Bow and Stable Hunting from a modern Asian (Korean?) form of mounted archery known as Mogu (Mogoo?).

        My understanding is that they have been doing demos of this activity in An Tir for a couple of years.

        For the hunt, the "ball" will be transformed into one of the animals.

        Else

        On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Dianne Karp <diannekarp@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Nancy Reimers