Re: [WestKingdomEQ] working equitation, golega 2006. www.lusitanopassin- YouTube

  • Jean Terry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2011
    It's pretty new in this country but it seems they're trying out virtual competitions-what a concept!
     Here's a link.

    BTW,
    The video clip of the Golega show was only to give a view of what is possible and because I find it so beautiful and inspiring--certainly  not  to discourage anyone from happily starting from wherever they're at !
    Work without a goal is so much less interesting.
    Be assured that no one in our country is even close to what the best do in Portugal. Also remember, the video was of the winner.  None of the other horse/rider combinations were as good as this one. Also remember that Lusitanos have been bred to be able to perform like this for thousands of years AND the riding and training traditions have carried through an unbroken lineage from before the times of the crusades LOL!

    Point of interest- It's said that only Knight's Templar families were allowed to breed Lusitanos for hundreds of years (and then after that it was still nearly impossible to get them out of Portugal). Does anyone have anything to add/detract from this? I've only been able to fine a few vague references to the Knights Templar/Lusitano thing but for some reason it fasinates me.
    jean- who should be out shoveling

    William - while none of us would be ready to compete at the high end, even the WE competitions have a beginner 'at a walk' or 'at a walk/trot' level.

    Working on the basics of calm, quiet, standing like a rock, etc are key to the higher levels anyway.  None of us should feel inadequate for starting at the beginning!.

    I'd like to see us work on these obstacles in our challenges.  It makes them have a purpose rather than just seem random choice.  Knowing that the challenges are from an established group and that they still are 'medieval' in general nature is cool!

    Of course, like William does at Hocktide, I still would like a story to go with the challenges.  Makes it have more of a purpose - at least to me.  When we did the quest at my place, there was a story for the quest and a scene for each station.

    Jean - are there any WE competitions in the general area that any of us could go see?

    Siobhan

    On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Jean Terry <riverrockcobs@...> wrote:

    This is WE's foundation.
    Pretty wonderful!
    jean
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J75hWF4MiI

    Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2011
      On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Jean Terry <RiverRockCobs@...> wrote:
      It's pretty new in this country but it seems they're trying out virtual competitions-what a concept!
       Here's a link.

      No link came though on this msg and the attachment on the other one did not work

    • henrikofhavn
      Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2011
        I recently picked up a DVD from a Tack shop titled "Vaquero Five, Los Primeros" , because it had a photo on the cover of two men dressed like those in your You Tube clip. They too held lance like tools in their right hands and had several head of horned cattle before the horses they rode . ( notoce the black bull shaped cutout the you tube clip shows the riders passing during their running of the course?)

        I finally managed to view the DVD last week and learned that the riders carry the "Garocha" a tool used by Spanish Vaqueros to manage range cattle, and now Bulls for fighting. It is derived from the ancient Knight's Lance and now is used instead of whips or larriets to herd cattle. In previous times it was used with a steel tip that in some instances was crescent shaped and was sharp and was used to hamstring aggressive horned cattle in extreme circumstances. Usually the carocha was used with a point or much more commonmy with a blunt tip and can take down a cow if the right nerve center on the hind quarters is struck hard ( at least that is what I understood from the DVD )

        So going from that perspective, the videos of WE look like simply a Spanish version of Western Cowboy activity in a formal dressage setting, the "Calligraphy" if you will, of simple everyday "handwrighting".

        All the refined elements of Mexican and Spannish equitation ( minus the roping that evolved away from the Garocha in the heavy underbrush environment of the American wilderness of early Spanish occupation) is there. Te collected postures,the obvious leg controls, the tools and responses needed to work the environment, opening gates, crossing bridges, moving around obstacles, picking up and placing down objects, are there, showing extreme communication, response and control between rider and his mount. It's beautiful.

        I recomment the DVD for someone wanting to see some of the more prectical parts in action as well as an historical presentation of Early California / Southwest Vaquero history.

        Henrik