Re: re 50 year - renamed

  • henrikofhavn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2011
      At 20 year we rented around 10 + or - , for 9 days.
      I have no information for 25 or 30 though It seems like at 30 it may have been 6 to 10 per day for 4 to 6 days. Yasmina and others brought their own horses to 30 so I'm not sure how many rentals were there.

      If you look at the members list of this group, there are 197 listed. Of that list, how many joined that don't have their own horse? Of those who do own horses , how many would likely bring them to 50th if it is held here in The West? Subtract the two numbers and I bet you will still have way over 100 names left. Subtract even those who don't reside here now,and you will still have a lot of names left. I think there are many names on that list that if enough incentive is offered that many of them would want to ride at least once at 50th, if not more. Then add in a few more from all the kingdoms that have active equestrians in them ( perhaps a guess of 30 might not be too far off, perhaps more or perhaps less). In any event I can well immagine if we had 10 rentals availbale to suppluy 20 renters per day, we would not be amis. And if more were available, should demand excede 10 horses , I think planning for that posibility would be wise.

      Henrik

      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Karp <diannekarp@...> wrote:

      > A better comparison might be -----How many horses were rented at 20 year, 25
      > year and 30 year?

      > From: henrikofhavn <henriksd5@...>
      > Date: Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:54 AM
      > Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Horses in the Mists and future possible
      > developments
      > To: WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > **
      >

      > When looking at annual events you have to remember that they draw mostly
      > from within their own Kingdom. 50th year will not be like an annual event,

    • Marguerite
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2011

        Greetings to the list from a lurker to the North,

        I am sure you can count on at least 10 (probably more and I’m trying to be conservative here) equestrians from An Tir who either don’t own a horse (like myself) or don’t wish to haul that far to join you (especially among those from Canada).

        Marguerite fitz William, JdL
        Equestrian Champion, Shire of Earnrokke
        Courtier to Their Excellencies of Aquaterra

        Aide de Venerie
        Motto: Et Hoc Quoque Transibit
        Or, a natural panther stantant contourney sable,
        on a chief invected vert, three plates

        MargueritefitzWilliam-email

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2011
          Frankly My Lady Margurite,

          I would not be surprised if as many as 50 might not come from all the Kingdoms outside The West. Just as a wild guess I would suggest that added to your estimate of 10 from An Tir, I would add 10 from Ansteorra, 10 from Caid, 5 from Lochac ( assuming the non SCA jousting activity there influences local SCA member's desire to ride) and perhaps 5 from the Middle, 2 from the Far West, 2 from The East, 4 from Atlantia, 1 from Drachenwald, 1 from Calontir, alone. Perhaps a few more or less than this guess may come as well from other Kingdoms, but I think my guess of 50 is not unreasonable and how many of these would rent exclusively for at least one day and not share a horse? I prefer to not share any that I rent and doubtless some others feel the same. And then there is the matter of how many from The West would also want to rent and this may be another 10 or more. So a string of 10 rental horsess may not be enough and perhaps 20 or more would possibly be needed some of the time.

          Henrik