Day at JB Ranch

  • tlwhyte17
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2003
      I thought I'd post a report on our day at the JB Ranch, so that
      everyone will have a better sense of what to expect from the rentals.

      Marguerite, Alys, and I arrived at the ranch at about noon yesterday.
      The heat was an issue--none of us rode as much as we might have
      because the heat really took it's toll on us. We began with a short
      talk with Jerry Bestpitch, going over a list of games he had been
      sent by (Glenda/Dierdra? Siobhan/Diane?), and showing him some of the
      eqiupment. He then allowed us to set up in the back of his property,
      where he ususally practices mounted shooting. Since this was not an
      arena, the ground was closer to what we deal with at events. We had a
      full set of equipment for rings, so we started with that.

      Two helpers came out with some horses they thought would work and
      they ran by the set up with the lance. Once they had determined that
      the horses would be OK we got mounted. We took turns being mounted
      and on the ground so as to reset the run. One helper-woman stayed
      with us the entire time and was *really* helpful!!! She even did most
      of the work to create a "heads" set up, and brought us all otter-pops
      at the end of the day (I think she could see that we were dying in
      the heat, bay area-wimps that we are ;-) ).

      There being three of us, we tried three horses. One was nice,
      forward, cooperative, and generally a good boy. I rode a retired mare
      that needed encouragement to keep trotting, but was in general a nice
      easy ride, and didn't have any problem with either the rings/lance or
      the heads/boffer. (Funny thing: these horses clearly have done poll
      bending, and got confused because we wanted them to come straight
      back instead of running the serpintine again.) The last horse,
      however, we decided would not work--he started well, but then decided
      that he didn't like all this and started crow-hopping and being a
      general butt-head. The assistants, after watching all this, told us
      that there were several other horses that would work for us that they
      could bring to our events.

      JB had left by the time we were leaving, so we didn't get a chance to
      close the loop. I will be calling him this week to touch base, ask
      for the first horse and to let him know that one of the horses' did
      not work. Overall, although the ranch was kinda "primitive" (to my
      english-used-to-indoor-arenas-and-cross-ties eyes), the people all
      seemed very willing to help us. They were *not* just giving us any-
      ol' trail horse, but were trying to match horses, riders, and tasks.
      We were there from noon to three, including all set up and getting
      acquainted, and they still just charged us $35 per person. Really a
      good deal!

      I'm of the opinion that these are good folks to deal with.

      Hoping all of this will work out,
      Genevieve
    • dkarp@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2003
        Thanks for teh feedback! I really like Jerry, always have. I am glad it was a positive experience!

        SnS

        Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>