Recent outbreak of EHV 1

  • arianwenferchmorgan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2011
      Hi guys. There has been a recent outbreak of EHV 1 in the western states. CONFIRMED cases in Santa Rosa and Rancho Murrieta. Information in the link below:

      http:// www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63058/multiple-western-states-affected-by-ehv-1-outbreak

      Please take precautions, be sure vaccinations are up to date and if at all possible, keep your ponies at home until this blows past.

      Arianwen
    • Laura
      Message 2 of 11 , May 17, 2011
        From what I've read, Murieta doesn't have a confirmed case, but they are canceling all shows for the next 21 days. Can't find much about Santa Rosa yet...

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "arianwenferchmorgan" <jessimare@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys. There has been a recent outbreak of EHV 1 in the western states. CONFIRMED cases in Santa Rosa and Rancho Murrieta. Information in the link below:
        >
        > http:// www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63058/multiple-western-states-affected-by-ehv-1-outbreak
        >
        > Please take precautions, be sure vaccinations are up to date and if at all possible, keep your ponies at home until this blows past.
        >

        > Arianwen

      • Tori
        Message 3 of 11 , May 17, 2011
          Hi.

          There is a confirmed case in the town of Rancho Murieta.  This is from a veterinarian friend of mine.  The Murieta Equestrian center does not have a case but are cancelling shows.

          Hope that clears up any confusion!

          Arianwen

          Neca Eos Omnes.  Deus Suos Agnoset.

          > Hi guys. There has been a recent outbreak of EHV 1 in the western states. CONFIRMED cases in Santa Rosa and Rancho Murrieta. Information in the link below:
          >
          > http:// www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63058/multiple-western-states-affected-by-ehv-1-outbreak
          >
          > Please take precautions, be sure vaccinations are up to date and if at all possible, keep your ponies at home until this blows past.
          >

          > Arianwen

        • Laura
          Message 4 of 11 , May 17, 2011
            Oh, crap!!! I figured it was Murieta Equine Complex, since they have so many shows there. At least they're shutting down for now. What a mess...

            Message 5 of 11 , May 17, 2011
              After consulting with Hamish, KEO, I have decided to err on the side of caution and am canceling all equestrian activities at Cynagua May Coronet.  Given that established equestrian centers are canceling shows for the next 21 days, it seems prudent to avoid health issues by canceling eq activities at an SCA event which is only 10 days away.

              See below for the link that explains the virus outbreak among horses which is NOT transferable to humans.

              Siobhan

              On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Laura <laura.langford@...> wrote:

              From what I've read, Murieta doesn't have a confirmed case, but they are canceling all shows for the next 21 days. Can't find much about Santa Rosa yet...

              --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "arianwenferchmorgan" <jessimare@...> wrote:

              > Hi guys. There has been a recent outbreak of EHV 1 in the western states. CONFIRMED cases in Santa Rosa and Rancho Murrieta. Information in the link below:
              >
              > http:// www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63058/multiple-western-states-affected-by-ehv-1-outbreak
              >
              > Please take precautions, be sure vaccinations are up to date and if at all possible, keep your ponies at home until this blows past.
              >

              > Arianwen

            • Tori
              Message 6 of 11 , May 17, 2011
                I think that is a very smart idea!  Thanks for watching out for the SCA ponies.

                Even if you can't think of any way your horses could get it, it is highly contagious and it travels home on your body, your clothes and your shoes too!

                Just take precautions, keep the ponies at home when at all possible and educate yourself.

                :)

                Arianwen

                Neca Eos Omnes.  Deus Suos Agnoset.

                After consulting with Hamish, KEO, I have decided to err on the side of caution and am canceling all equestrian activities at Cynagua May Coronet.  Given that established equestrian centers are canceling shows for the next 21 days, it seems prudent to avoid health issues by canceling eq activities at an SCA event which is only 10 days away.

                See below for the link that explains the virus outbreak among horses which is NOT transferable to humans.

                Siobhan

                From what I've read, Murieta doesn't have a confirmed case, but they are canceling all shows for the next 21 days. Can't find much about Santa Rosa yet...

              • bulotki@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 11 , May 17, 2011
                  This press release from CDFA was just issued today. It supercedes the earlier one:

                  Gwen

                  After consulting with Hamish, KEO, I have decided to err on the side of caution and am canceling all equestrian activities at Cynagua May Coronet.  Given that established equestrian centers are canceling shows for the next 21 days, it seems prudent to avoid health issues by canceling eq activities at an SCA event which is only 10 days away.

                  See below for the link that explains the virus outbreak among horses which is NOT transferable to humans.

                  Siobhan

                  On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Laura <laura.langford@...> wrote:

                  From what I've read, Murieta doesn't have a confirmed case, but they are canceling all shows for the next 21 days. Can't find much about Santa Rosa yet...

                  --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "arianwenferchmorgan" <jessimare@...> wrote:

                  > Hi guys. There has been a recent outbreak of EHV 1 in the western states. CONFIRMED cases in Santa Rosa and Rancho Murrieta. Information in the link below:
                  >
                  > http:// www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63058/multiple-western-states-affected-by-ehv-1-outbreak
                  >
                  > Please take precautions, be sure vaccinations are up to date and if at all possible, keep your ponies at home until this blows past.
                  >

                  > Arianwen

                • Tori
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 17, 2011
                    I was just getting ready to post that, thanks Gwen!

                    Neca Eos Omnes.  Deus Suos Agnoset.

                    This press release from CDFA was just issued today. It supercedes the earlier one:

                    Gwen

                    After consulting with Hamish, KEO, I have decided to err on the side of caution and am canceling all equestrian activities at Cynagua May Coronet.  Given that established equestrian centers are canceling shows for the next 21 days, it seems prudent to avoid health issues by canceling eq activities at an SCA event which is only 10 days away.

                    See below for the link that explains the virus outbreak among horses which is NOT transferable to humans.

                    Siobhan

                    On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Laura <laura.langford@...> wrote:

                    From what I've read, Murieta doesn't have a confirmed case, but they are canceling all shows for the next 21 days. Can't find much about Santa Rosa yet...

                    --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "arianwenferchmorgan" <jessimare@...> wrote:

                    > Hi guys. There has been a recent outbreak of EHV 1 in the western states. CONFIRMED cases in Santa Rosa and Rancho Murrieta. Information in the link below:
                    >
                    > http:// www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63058/multiple-western-states-affected-by-ehv-1-outbreak
                    >
                    > Please take precautions, be sure vaccinations are up to date and if at all possible, keep your ponies at home until this blows past.
                    >

                    > Arianwen

                  • Nancy Reimers
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 17, 2011

                      Greetings all,

                      There have been some really good links posted here. I just wanted to build upon the practicality seen here.

                      1. Remember horse to horse transmission is the primary mode of spread.

                      2. Fresh snot and fresh blood from infected horses may contain high levels of virus. Herpes viruses do not typically fair well in dried snot or blood.   Sunlight and drying are absolutely your friends.

                      3. Infected horses may not show clinical signs.

                      4. Herpesviruses really like to affect the young, the stressed, and the sexually maturing. The cutting horse show was likely loaded with horse that hit at least one of those categories.

                      5. The index case was at the beginning of the month. We are like to see a blossoming in cases over the next few days even if the strategic quarrantine works. Don't let the mounting numbers scare you.

                      6. Dr Whiteford and CDFA tend to do a really excellent job communicating in these outbreaks and staying on top of them.  Keeping up with the CDFA press releases is an excellent means of staying informed.

                      Let's keep up the prudence,

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 17, 2011
                        .A case of 'better safe than sorry'!

                         T'aint nothin I must do with my ponies in the next 3 weeks - they can stay home!

                        YOu forgot to sign it <Else the vet>

                        Siobhan!

                        Let's keep up the prudence,

                        Else

                      • Nancy Reimers
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 17, 2011

                          On May 17, 2011 7:32 PM, "Dianne Karp"

                          > YOu forgot to sign it <Else the vet>
                          >
                          > Siobhan!
                          >
                          >> Let's keep up the prudence,
                          >>
                          >> Else

                          Else/Nancy Reimers
                          Bachelor's of Science
                          Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
                          Master's of Specialized Veterinary Medicine
                          Diplomate- American College of Poultry Veterinarians

                          :)  Better?

                          Else, AOA, OLM, ORL, OWL, OWGS, OP, BFD