Fw: [SCA Equestrian] Boffer swords

  • dkarp@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2003
      From the Society list - I thought ya'll would be interested.
      Henrik, can you ask him for a freebie?

      SnS

      Greetings,

      While at DragonCon this weekend I met a vendor selling boffer swords. His main focus is for LARP-type combat but I found the swords amazing light yet still rigid, and they don't hurt nearly as much as the youth combat swords (what we were using at Gulf Wars this year) when I get hit with them.

      I'm considering using one for mounted combat (and possibly behead the enemy) and I'd appreciate some input on their construction. Here's the site:

      http://www.edhellen.com/blue.html

      They are extruded fiberglass core (the same type we use for quintain lances, but 1/2") with a thick closed cell foam around the core (including tip) and covered with cotton-poly fabric.

      He was so excited to find an SCA equestrian interested in evaluating his weapons that he gave me a sword gratis to show the marshals and play with. He's eager to find new markets and is willing to customize his swords as we like, including leather covers and grips, round swords instead of his regular "bladed" types, etc. He's also very willing to ship free samples to the KEOs to try out and play with. He also sells kits and parts to make boffer weapons.

      I believe these swords would be excellent for behead the enemy for younger equestrians since the weight of the sword is minimal, making it easy to use. In general, it would be an option for those of us that would prefer a lighter weight weapon.

      Please let me know your thoughts. I'll be taking the sword to events over the next year for us to play with and evaluate.

      Peryn

      From: Anne Nicholls <anicholls@...>