Re: [WestKingdomEQ] List Question?

  • Anne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
      Genevieve~
      My files have from you:
      2 postings about Le Carrousel du Roi on the 28th
      (I am SO sorry not to be able to make that! Send us "a report"?)
      and a "Fw: [WestKingdomEQ] I MEANT A&S!" on the 3rd.
      Hope that helps

      Collett - can this list be changed, so that "reply to" sends the reply to
      the group, and not to just the sender? (my other groups have been set that
      way) If an individual reply is wanted, it is easy to pick up the
      individual's address, but usually we are responding to the group, and this
      reply system would decrease the amount of duplicate messages people get from
      the "reply all" system.

      Just a thought.
      ~ Anne
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      79 A.D. - Buying property in Pompeii turns out to have been a lousy real
      estate investment.
      ~ A Brief History of Time
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2002
        I don't like setting up a list that way because I have been caught in
        the trap that causes, as have many other people I know. When wanting
        to send a private message, hitting the "reply to" will send back only
        to the person who sent the message. When hitting the "reply all"
        only one message will reach the sender, that message will come from
        the group. However, if the origional sender receives the group
        messages as a digest form, or is set to only read the group's email
        through the web page, then a reply will be sent to the sender as an
        individual message and then the origional sender will still see the
        message in the form they normally do (either on the web page, or
        rolled into a digest email). This allows the oritional sender to
        know that someone has responded to their message. (This is why it
        looks like there will be two emails sent. The list is trying to keep
        track of who is being responded to in case they receive the list in a
        form other than the one-for-one email form most people get.)

        The problem, with setting up the "reply to" to act like the "reply
        all", arrives from people who are used to lists being set up in
        the standard way (as the list is currently set up with "reply to"
        only going to the sender). Then when they mean to send a private
        message, it often gets posted to the entire list. This can cause a
        lot of embarrassment, and if the email message was worded with one
        known person in mind, can cause bad feelings and offense from those
        who were not meant to receive the message. I have had this happen to
        me several times, and I know of a lot of times this has happened to
        others.

        It is just simpler to hit the "reply all" and to not worry about the
        fact that it looks like the person being responded to will get the
        message twice (they won't).

        I hope this clarifies things a bit.

        -- Collett

        -------------------------------------
        Collett - can this list be changed, so that "reply to" sends the
        reply to the group, and not to just the sender? (my other groups
        have
        been set that way) If an individual reply is wanted, it is easy to
        pick up the individual's address, but usually we are responding to
        the
        group, and this reply system would decrease the amount of duplicate
        messages people get from the "reply all" system.

        Just a thought.
        ~ Anne
      • Rachael O'Brien
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2002
          Actually, I have gotten messages twice in when "reply all" was used. I just
          deleted the duplicates.

        • Autumn Cardone
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2002
            I'm having some email trouble, so I couldn't send these out when I wrote them.

            Ok, you're right. :-) I did get a double of this one. Still, hitting the delete
            an extra time sometimes seems better than email wars. (I just seem to get too
            much practice chewing on my feet, no matter how careful I think I am.)

            -- Collett

            ------------------------------------
            Rachael O'Brien wrote:

            > Actually, I have gotten messages twice in when "reply all" was used. I just
            > deleted the duplicates.
            > :-), Marguerite

          • Autumn Cardone
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2002
              I'm having some email trouble, so I couldn't send these out when I wrote them.

              Sorry about the double post. I appear to be having some troubles with
              my personal email host. When I tried to email this, it claimed that it
              couldn't so I sent it through yahoo. (with some editing improvements).

              -- Collett