Greetings & Introduction

  • Kerri Geppert
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2003
      Greetings,
      I am Clare Elena de Montfort from the Barony of Eskalya, in the
      Principality of Oertha. I grew up with horses and have done a little
      of everything - working cattle, reining, barrel racing, dressage,
      jumping, trail riding, packing. I sold my horse when we moved to
      Alaska some 20 plus years ago but was able to keep riding and showin
      other folks horses up here.

      My daughter is now taking up riding and I would like to find a way to
      encourage the Equestrian arts in Oertha.

      I started playing with the SCA in late 1995. I now teach fifth grade
      in the Anchorage School District after being a banker for fifteen
      years. My children accompany me to most events but my husband just
      shakes his head and waves from the driveway.

      I look forward to learning more about horses and the SCA.

      Clare Elena
    • Dianne L Karp
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2003
        Find someone who rents horses and see if you can get folks interested in
        taking lessons. As you get to know the stable owner, see if they will
        let you start practicing the games during the lessons.

        Siobhan ni Seaghdha
        Cynagua Eq Officer
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 26, 2003
          Greetings Clare-
          >>I would like to find a way to encourage the Equestrian arts in Oertha.<<
          How good to hear that there is interest in Equestrian activities in the
          northern reach of the Kingdom as well! I agree with Siobhan that setting up
          lessons and/or rentals is the way to go; its just important to get a core
          group of interested people together so that you can become Marshals and
          authorize riders at events, then build upon that base. There are alot of
          people who are interested once they see horses at an event, and horse owners
          who have seen us running the games inevitably want to join in the fun!

          If your main interest is the EQ games, we have made equipment very
          inexpensively out of PVC so that it is light, breaks down, and is very
          portable! All you really need to make it is the PVC & fittings, strong
          glue, and some rare earth magnets (we got ours at Radio Shack).

          Once you have lessons and/or rental horses available, along with the
          authorized rider and Marshal base, and basic equipment, you're set! It does
          take some organization to get going, but we've done okay in the last 18
          months down here, so hopefully you can do the same there.

          In service,
          Marguerite du Royon

          >From: "Kerri Geppert" <emster@...>
          >To: WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] Greetings & Introduction
          >Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 06:21:51 -0000
          >
          >Greetings,
          >I am Clare Elena de Montfort from the Barony of Eskalya, in the
          >Principality of Oertha. I grew up with horses and have done a little
          >of everything - working cattle, reining, barrel racing, dressage,
          >jumping, trail riding, packing. I sold my horse when we moved to
          >Alaska some 20 plus years ago but was able to keep riding and showin
          >other folks horses up here.
          >
          >My daughter is now taking up riding and I would like to find a way to
          >encourage the Equestrian arts in Oertha.
          >
          >I started playing with the SCA in late 1995. I now teach fifth grade
          >in the Anchorage School District after being a banker for fifteen
          >years. My children accompany me to most events but my husband just
          >shakes his head and waves from the driveway.
          >
          >I look forward to learning more about horses and the SCA.
          >
          >Clare Elena

          >Shortcut URL to this page:

          Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.