Equestriums in 2011; Questions

  • dcamville@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
      Greetings Everyone!

      Had a conversation with some non-SCA horse folks recently. We got to chatting about having gatherings/meetings/play days and so on.
      It got me thinking (shocking, I know - GRIN) about Equestriums in 2011.
      Just have a few questions:

      We usually hold two per year, right? One is more "class focused" and the other is more "championship focused" or am I mistaken?

      Do we have dates for these events yet?

      When looking at sites what do we want to have, facilities wise, access to? What is our usual budget for rental? Where do the funds come from?

      Okay...I know that is a fair number of questions. It would be great to hear some answers. Once I have the information (didn't see anything in our Files section) I could go scout out some sites.

      Thanks in advance!

      Richard de Camville
    • Tori
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
        Richard:

        Let me see what I can do to help.  Answers below.  I would also like to know, do we have autocrats for both of these events yet?

        Arianwen

        Had a conversation with some non-SCA horse folks recently. We got to chatting about having gatherings/meetings/play days and so on.
        It got me thinking (shocking, I know - GRIN) about Equestriums in 2011.
        Just have a few questions:

        We usually hold two per year, right? One is more "class focused" and the other is more "championship focused" or am I mistaken?
        That would be a fair statement.

        Do we have dates for these events yet?
        I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Calendar Deputy has opened up date selections yet.  Fall Equestrium is usually in September.

        When looking at sites what do we want to have, facilities wise, access to? What is our usual budget for rental? Where do the funds come from?
        Depends on what classes you are wanting to hold... two large arenas, a round pen, an area where horseback archery could be held are all nice.  Covered areas for Spring Equestrium is especially nice.  We can always work around what we find.  I'll leave the budget question to someone else.  The funds come from the West Kingdom, as it is a West Kingdom event.
        The Lodi location has been well received, is centrally located, is fairly easy to autocrat (one fee for privies/site etc.) and the owners LOVE us and are willing to have us back as often as we want.  They are also willing to have camping.  I believe having the Fall Equestrium there has worked really well and we will probably continue to do so.

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
          Ooh and other more obvious question... Richard are you volunteering to autocrat?   I believe we have a Fall Equestrium autocrat but if Spring is open...

          Arianwen

          Neca Eos Omnes.  Deus Suos Agnoset.

        • bulotki@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
            To add to her Majesty's responses, mine are indicated by ***

            Gwendwyn

            Let me see what I can do to help.  Answers below.  I would also like to know, do we have autocrats for both of these events yet?

            Arianwen

            Had a conversation with some non-SCA horse folks recently. We got to chatting about having gatherings/meetings/play days and so on.
            It got me thinking (shocking, I know - GRIN) about Equestriums in 2011.
            Just have a few questions:

            We usually hold two per year, right? One is more "class focused" and the other is more "championship focused" or am I mistaken?
            That would be a fair statement.

            Do we have dates for these events yet?
            I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Calendar Deputy has opened up date selections yet.  Fall Equestrium is usually in September.

            *** The calendar opened today. Siobhan is the only one that can submit a date for a Kingdom level equestrian event. Principality level events go thru the principality seneschal, and dates for local groups go thru the local seneschal to the calendar deputy. When looking at possible dates, keep in mind other events that are popular and have crossover attraction.

            When looking at sites what do we want to have, facilities wise, access to? What is our usual budget for rental? Where do the funds come from?
            Depends on what classes you are wanting to hold... two large arenas, a round pen, an area where horseback archery could be held are all nice.  Covered areas for Spring Equestrium is especially nice.  We can always work around what we find.  I'll leave the budget question to someone else.  The funds come from the West Kingdom, as it is a West Kingdom event.

            *** The College of Equestrian Arts has an exchequer (Bethia) that works with the autocrat to set the budget and site fee. I think the KEO and Kingdom Seneschal may have input also.

            The Lodi location has been well received, is centrally located, is fairly easy to autocrat (one fee for privies/site etc.) and the owners LOVE us and are willing to have us back as often as we want.  They are also willing to have camping.  I believe having the Fall Equestrium there has worked really well and we will probably continue to do so.

            *** I agree! Sites that also allow mounted archery are really needed, especially for Spring.

            Okay...I know that is a fair number of questions. It would be great to hear some answers. Once I have the information (didn't see anything in our Files section) I could go scout out some sites.

            *** The files you are looking for are "Equestrian Site Requirements for Autocrats" and "Needs-Wants-Wishlist for EQ at SCA Events", both are in the EQ Autocrat and Marshal Info folder of the files area on the Yahoo group.

            Thanks in advance!

            Richard de Camville

          • Troy Griffith
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010

              Well of course I don’t have the answers to any of this myself, but I wanted to jump in here while a discussion of events for next year is ongoing .

              I want to let everyone in the West know that the Shire of Glyn Dwfn will again be hosting the Hocktide Emprise next spring, just across the border here in An Tir..

              We are hoping many of our fellow riders from the West will bring their mounts through the pass this year and join us for 3 days of equestrian competition and fun.

              The event has be moved to three weeks later in the season as we are also hosting our Spring Coronet in March and wanted a small buffer between the two events as we are hoping to have equestrian activities at Coronet as well.

              The date for Hocktide year is May 13-15, so weather over the passes should be of far less concern. The event will be at the same location as last year,  Farwood Horse Park. If you didn’t make last year, ask around, this is a truly lovely site and very fun event.

              I now return you to you regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.

              Sir William Brannan

              Summits Captain of Horse

[...]

              No virus found in this message.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
                We hold one in April ish and one in Sept ish.

                Both have had classes and contests.  For the last 2 years, since we had a EQ Champion created, the Fall one has also had the Champion competition.  The autocrat is often the person deciding a theme and activities for each event, although Fall will continue to have the Champion competition as a part of it.

                We need a site that can hold trailers for 20 or so horses (7ish trailers).  Someplace with an arena is good. A covered arena for the spring is Very Good but not Necessary.  We have used sites in Rio Linda, Auburn, at Skyline Park, a couple in Lodi.................

                As they are Kingdom level events, the money for the site and the insurance comes from the kingdom budget.

                We do not have dates yet for either event - we do not autocrats volunteering yet either (hint hint).

                If we get an autocrat volunteer before 12th Night, we will set a date ASAP. Otherwise, I expect we will set the dates at the 12th Night Sun am meeting.

                Siobhan

                On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM, <dcamville@...> wrote:

                Greetings Everyone!

                Had a conversation with some non-SCA horse folks recently. We got to chatting about having gatherings/meetings/play days and so on.
                It got me thinking (shocking, I know - GRIN) about Equestriums in 2011.
                Just have a few questions:

                We usually hold two per year, right? One is more "class focused" and the other is more "championship focused" or am I mistaken?

                Do we have dates for these events yet?

                When looking at sites what do we want to have, facilities wise, access to? What is our usual budget for rental? Where do the funds come from?

                Okay...I know that is a fair number of questions. It would be great to hear some answers. Once I have the information (didn't see anything in our Files section) I could go scout out some sites.

                Thanks in advance!

                Richard de Camville

              • Michael Canfield
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Maybe...let me see how site hunting goes over the next week or so. I'll let folks know what I found.

                  RdC

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
                    At 12th Night, we will be holding a meeting on Sunday.  This is a good time to discuss the events for the year and to try to set up autocrats.

                    So, be thinking of what events you might like to hold/autocrat at various events in addition to the 2 Equestriums.

                    I am holding eq activities at Cynagua Spring Coronet and so am vol to be the eqMiC and eq autocrat

                    Hamish - having the list of locations from the kingdom and principality seneschals for the 12th Night meeting is useful.

                    Siobhan
                  • Troy Griffith
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010

                      Ah I see we have done it again. It almost too much to believe, but yes, it does appear we have moved Hocktide to the same weekend as Cynaqua Coronet.

                      We never cease to amaze. ;>

                      William

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 2, 2010
                        NOOOOOOO!  not the end of May!!!  I wanted to go!!!!

                        drat  drat  drat.

                        Siobhan

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 2, 2010
                          On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Troy Griffith <Troy@...> wrote:

                          The date for Hocktide year is May 13-15,

                          Which is Mists-Cyn War, not Cynaguan Coronet - Else
                        • Troy Griffith
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 2, 2010

                            Okay, glasses next time I read the West calendar. ;>

                            But I am guessing being opposite a war is not a great date either.

                            We are going to talk about it at our shire moot on Thursday. I am not sure what we can do about it, but we can discuss it and see what comes to mind.

                            There are just not enough weekends in Spring.

                            William

                            The date for Hocktide year is May 13-15,

                            Which is Mists-Cyn War, not Cynaguan Coronet - Else

                            No virus found in this message.

                          • juliana_of_avon
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 3, 2010
                              Richard,

                              The arena in Loomis was pretty decent.

                              http://www.garlic.com/~lbha/LBHAarenaUse.htm

                              ~J
                            • bulotki@netscape.net
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 3, 2010
                                Very nice arena, lots of parking and easy to get to. Please be aware the LBHA Arena has some very specific insurance instructions (additonal certificates required $$) if you use it.

                                Gwen
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 3, 2010
                                  The mundane horse-club Alloria and I are involved with use that arena regularly.
                                  It is an option. Looking into slightly larger venues without as many restrictions but the LBHA arena is on our list.

                                  RdC

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 4, 2010
                                      >>***
                                      The College of Equestrian Arts has an exchequer (Bethia) that works with the autocrat to set the budget and site fee. I think the KEO and Kingdom Seneschal may have input also. <<
                                      I did not realize this, but Kingdom level event site fees are standardized, and so are set by the Kingdom exchequer, not us.  I pasted my budget from last Spring Equestrium below FYI - hope it helps in planning!   If you are putting together a budget, would double check my assumed site fees against the Oct. Crown fees just in case.

                                      Note that I donated all of the challenge course, site handout copying, and site token costs, as I wanted to be sure we broke even.  (Skyline also has a really weird formula for calculating what they charge us, hence my detailed guesstimate of who would be camping vs daytripping below.)
                                      :-), Marguerite

                                      Spring Equestrium 2010 Site fee calc

                                      Event Costs:

                                      Cost