Why I Love my Trainer...

  • deliriumskid
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 28 9:01 AM
      I usually dont share this stuff, but since I am posting it on my blog, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it..

      Why I love my trainer.

      As you may or may not know my trainer has been working with my colt and I on riding in the back woods. Now our back woods are scary, thick, lots of low hanging branches, deer, bums, other horses and a variety of scary things. Just the worst woods to start riding in. My colt is a FREAK back there, rearing, bucking just generally have a temper tantrum from hell.

      The other day my trainer goes, ok.. lets go ride in the back woods…
      I am like "WTF?" are you crazy?

      Well we did it, and he didn't buck me off, though he did get an "A" for effort in the attempt.

      Well now I got Emma.. Scary, freaky red head.

      So my trainer says yesterday, lets get Emma and pony here behind Marshal…
      `Uh.. , Ok" says I… gah I am such a dweeb.

      All Emma wants to do is kick Marshals brains in.

      So she gets Emma and we work in the round pen a bit. Now the issue with pony'ing a horse is this… it forces you to ride with one hand… Suddenly you realize how much steerage you have… I had oh about 40%.

      Then you get the added weight of " don't let the rope go under the lead horses tail.. which could be bad, and don't let the ponied horse go in front of the lead horse.. which you know, could be bad…

      Now its not that I have not ponied before, but I had not ponied off of Marshal and I had not ponied Emma and I am riding Marshal my little son of buck…

      Well it went pretty good in the round pen and then my trainer says..

      "OK lets go out in the back trails.. "
      `the what?"
      "trails, now, you go."

      I thought at that very moment I was going to throw up right then and there..

      But I didn't. and we did go on the back trails and both horses were good… I survived, they survived and we are one step closer to building a solid foundation…

      But I will say this..You want to test the cohonies on someone, put them on a colt, who you knows bucks, and hand them a filly who is a kicker and a freak, and tell them to pony that freaky horse on that son of buck in the woods from Sleepy Hollow…. And if you can do that, baby, you can do anything…

      Which I think was the lesson my trainer was trying to get across to me…

      LZO!
    • horsetrackranch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28 11:55 AM
        *Then you get the added weight of " don't let the rope go under the lead horses tail.. which could be bad*

        Not just "could" be bad... if the rope you are using on the ponied horse is a mane hair mecate get down rope, then it is *eespeshully* crucial to avoid the under the tail thing with the lead horse. I watched David get launched into a low hanging tree from that particular activity... and it was, um, bad, as you say (ok, so a bit funny AFTERWARDS, but still :-)

        Morrighan

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "deliriumskid" <deliriumskid@...> wrote:

        > I usually dont share this stuff, but since I am posting it on my blog, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it..
        >
        > Why I love my trainer.
        >
        > As you may or may not know my trainer has been working with my colt and I on riding in the back woods. Now our back woods are scary, thick, lots of low hanging branches, deer, bums, other horses and a variety of scary things. Just the worst woods to start riding in. My colt is a FREAK back there, rearing, bucking just generally have a temper tantrum from hell.
        >
        > The other day my trainer goes, ok.. lets go ride in the back woods…
        > I am like "WTF?" are you crazy?
        >
        > Well we did it, and he didn't buck me off, though he did get an "A" for effort in the attempt.
        >
        > Well now I got Emma.. Scary, freaky red head.
        >
        > So my trainer says yesterday, lets get Emma and pony here behind Marshal…
        > `Uh.. , Ok" says I… gah I am such a dweeb.
        >
        > All Emma wants to do is kick Marshals brains in.
        >
        > So she gets Emma and we work in the round pen a bit. Now the issue with pony'ing a horse is this… it forces you to ride with one hand… Suddenly you realize how much steerage you have… I had oh about 40%.
        >
        > Then you get the added weight of " don't let the rope go under the lead horses tail.. which could be bad, and don't let the ponied horse go in front of the lead horse.. which you know, could be bad…
        >
        > Now its not that I have not ponied before, but I had not ponied off of Marshal and I had not ponied Emma and I am riding Marshal my little son of buck…
        >
        > Well it went pretty good in the round pen and then my trainer says..
        >
        > "OK lets go out in the back trails.. "
        > `the what?"
        > "trails, now, you go."
        >
        > I thought at that very moment I was going to throw up right then and there..
        >
        > But I didn't. and we did go on the back trails and both horses were good… I survived, they survived and we are one step closer to building a solid foundation…
        >
        > But I will say this..You want to test the cohonies on someone, put them on a colt, who you knows bucks, and hand them a filly who is a kicker and a freak, and tell them to pony that freaky horse on that son of buck in the woods from Sleepy Hollow…. And if you can do that, baby, you can do anything…
        >
        > Which I think was the lesson my trainer was trying to get across to me…
        >
        > LZO!

      • Michael Canfield
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28 4:19 PM
          Wow.
          Just wow.
          I got a case of nerves just reading this.
          Wow.
          You ROCK!

          RdC

          On Jul 28, 2010, horsetrackranch <awnova@...> wrote:

          *Then you get the added weight of " don't let the rope go under the lead horses tail.. which could be bad*

          Not just "could" be bad... if the rope you are using on the ponied horse is a mane hair mecate get down rope, then it is *eespeshully* crucial to avoid the under the tail thing with the lead horse. I watched David get launched into a low hanging tree from that particular activity... and it was, um, bad, as you say (ok, so a bit funny AFTERWARDS, but still :-)

          Morrighan

          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "deliriumskid" <deliriumskid@...> wrote:

          > I usually dont share this stuff, but since I am posting it on my blog, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it..
          >
          > Why I love my trainer.
          >
          > As you may or may not know my trainer has been working with my colt and I on riding in the back woods. Now our back woods are scary, thick, lots of low hanging branches, deer, bums, other horses and a variety of scary things. Just the worst woods to start riding in. My colt is a FREAK back there, rearing, bucking just generally have a temper tantrum from hell.
          >
          > The other day my trainer goes, ok.. lets go ride in the back woods…
          > I am like "WTF?" are you crazy?
          >
          > Well we did it, and he didn't buck me off, though he did get an "A" for effort in the attempt.
          >
          > Well now I got Emma.. Scary, freaky red head.
          >
          > So my trainer says yesterday, lets get Emma and pony here behind Marshal…
          > `Uh.. , Ok" says I… gah I am such a dweeb.
          >
          > All Emma wants to do is kick Marshals brains in.
          >
          > So she gets Emma and we work in the round pen a bit. Now the issue with pony'ing a horse is this… it forces you to ride with one hand… Suddenly you realize how much steerage you have… I had oh about 40%.
          >
          > Then you get the added weight of " don't let the rope go under the lead horses tail.. which could be bad, and don't let the ponied horse go in front of the lead horse.. which you know, could be bad…
          >
          > Now its not that I have not ponied before, but I had not ponied off of Marshal and I had not ponied Emma and I am riding Marshal my little son of buck…
          >
          > Well it went pretty good in the round pen and then my trainer says..
          >
          > "OK lets go out in the back trails.. "
          > `the what?"
          > "trails, now, you go."
          >
          > I thought at that very moment I was going to throw up right then and there..
          >
          > But I didn't. and we did go on the back trails and both horses were good… I survived, they survived and we are one step closer to building a solid foundation…
          >
          > But I will say this..You want to test the cohonies on someone, put them on a colt, who you knows bucks, and hand them a filly who is a kicker and a freak, and tell them to pony that freaky horse on that son of buck in the woods from Sleepy Hollow…. And if you can do that, baby, you can do anything…
          >
          > Which I think was the lesson my trainer was trying to get across to me…
          >
          > LZO!

        • DIANNE KARP
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29 3:35 PM
            Brave ---- or crazy (wink), which often amounts to the same thing. (wink)

            You have to trust your trainer!!! (if she kills me, I can't give him
            money for more lessons so this MUST be OK)

            That comes under the catagory of "More fun than I signed up for"!

            Siobhan

            > But I will say this..You want to test the cohonies on someone, put them
            > on a colt, who you knows bucks, and hand them a filly who is a kicker and
            > a freak, and tell them to pony that freaky horse on that son of buck in
            > the woods from Sleepy Hollow…. And if you can do that, baby, you can do
            > anything…
            >
            > Which I think was the lesson my trainer was trying to get across to me…
            >
            > LZO!

          • deliriumskid
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30 9:37 AM
              I go with crazy..

              --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "DIANNE KARP" <diannekarp@...> wrote:

              > Brave ---- or crazy (wink), which often amounts to the same thing. (wink)
              >
              > You have to trust your trainer!!! (if she kills me, I can't give him
              > money for more lessons so this MUST be OK)
              >
              > That comes under the catagory of "More fun than I signed up for"!
              >
              > Siobhan
              >

              > > But I will say this..You want to test the cohonies on someone, put them
              > > on a colt, who you knows bucks, and hand them a filly who is a kicker and
              > > a freak, and tell them to pony that freaky horse on that son of buck in
              > > the woods from Sleepy Hollow…. And if you can do that, baby, you can do
              > > anything…
              > >
              > > Which I think was the lesson my trainer was trying to get across to me…
              > >
              > > LZO!

            • DIANNE KARP
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30 10:02 AM

                > I go with crazy..

                me too.

                Having atrainier, of course, makes doing crazy crap "OK". If one of us
                did that on our own, the rest would be saying "are you NUTS?" When the
                trainer says to do it we all just go "ahhhhh". and nod wisely