Re: An Interesting Tip...

  • juliana_of_avon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2010
      That is interesting! I wonder how Pam compares to eventing grease for brushing solid fences. (tongue in cheek)

      For ticks. I just use fly spray. Over the years, the horses have only a few ticks as compared to my dogs. I attribute that to the regular use of fly spray on horse's body.

      On my dogs, I have sprayed ticks with the likes of Bronco, Tri-Tec and Bug Block. The ticks back out, jump off and die.

      I find that broad spectrum applications of commercial toxins in choking proportions really does the trick. :-)

      ~J

      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, dcamville@... wrote:

      > ...from HORSE & RIDER magazine.
      >
      > For those of you who enjoy trail riding and who may encounter tall grasses where ticks and other insects may dwell, a tip in Horse & Rider magazine suggests spraying PAM on your horses legs. It seems the little buggers can't get a grip on surfaces coated in PAM.
      > Interesting.
      >
      > Anyone else with an interesting, fun or educational tip to share?
      >
      > RdC

    • DIANNE KARP
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2010
        > On my dogs, I have sprayed ticks with the likes of Bronco, Tri-Tec and
        > Bug Block. The ticks back out, jump off and die.
        >

        > ~J

        You mean when you find the tick on the dog? That should work for people
        too, I bet.

        Siobhan
        high desert has it's advantages - no ticks or fleas !
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2010
          I wish my commercial toxins in choking proportions worked! I coat
          Brandee's legs with fly spray before we go out, but thank goodness
          she's got white markings, because her legs are always covered in ticks
          when I hose her down (in the spring and fall - guess its too dry for
          them in the summer time).

          Maybe I'll try the PAM...if it doesn't work I can always cook with it!
          :-), Marguerite

          On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:02 AM, juliana_of_avon <la3luna@...> wrote:
          > That is interesting! I wonder how Pam compares to eventing grease for brushing solid fences. (tongue in cheek)
          >
          > For ticks. I just use fly spray. Over the years, the horses have only a few ticks as compared to my dogs. I attribute that to the regular use of fly spray on horse's body.
          >
          > On my dogs, I have sprayed ticks with the likes of Bronco, Tri-Tec and Bug Block. The ticks back out, jump off and die.
          >
          > I find that broad spectrum applications of commercial toxins in choking proportions really does the trick. :-)
          >
          > ~J
          >

          > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, dcamville@... wrote:
          >>
          >> ...from HORSE & RIDER magazine.
          >>
          >> For those of you who enjoy trail riding and who may encounter tall grasses where ticks and other insects may dwell, a tip in Horse & Rider magazine suggests spraying PAM on your horses legs. It seems the little buggers can't get a grip on surfaces coated in PAM.
          >> Interesting.
          >>
          >> Anyone else with an interesting, fun or educational tip to share?
          >>
          >> RdC
          >>

          > ------------------------------------

          > This is not an official SCA email list.

          > This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

          > Shortcut URL to this page:

        • juliana_of_avon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2010
            BLAH! You must have super-ticks! I spray and they die.
            I wonder if the Pam will stain her pretty whites? I hope not.

            ~J

            --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Rachael Keish <rachaelo@...> wrote:

            > I wish my commercial toxins in choking proportions worked! I coat
            > Brandee's legs with fly spray before we go out, but thank goodness
            > she's got white markings, because her legs are always covered in ticks
            > when I hose her down (in the spring and fall - guess its too dry for
            > them in the summer time).
            >
            > Maybe I'll try the PAM...if it doesn't work I can always cook with it!
            > :-), Marguerite

          • Komitissa Aurora Komnene
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 21, 2010
              Washington has super ticks. I used regular dog tick collars on all four fetlocks with great success up there.  Took a couple of days just like on a dog.  Just use the slip kind so they are "break away" for safety.  (we needed them just for the horses to be out on the pasture AND for the trails)

              - A

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jul 21, 2010, at 14:22, "juliana_of_avon" <la3luna@...> wrote:

              BLAH! You must have super-ticks! I spray and they die.
              I wonder if the Pam will stain her pretty whites? I hope not.

              ~J

              --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Rachael Keish <rachaelo@...> wrote:

              > I wish my commercial toxins in choking proportions worked! I coat
              > Brandee's legs with fly spray before we go out, but thank goodness
              > she's got white markings, because her legs are always covered in ticks
              > when I hose her down (in the spring and fall - guess its too dry for
              > them in the summer time).
              >
              > Maybe I'll try the PAM...if it doesn't work I can always cook with it!
              > :-), Marguerite

            • deliriumskid
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 22, 2010
                Have seen the same thing used in our pasture out here.

                We are pretty tick heavy out here too (love those redwoods), but have never had a problem.

                Fly spray seems to work fine. I use the no sweat kind, so between washes it builds up.

                LZO!