Remembering Rhiannon: FYI National Helmet Awareness Day July 10]

  • DIANNE KARP
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 5 KB
    Saturday July 10 is National Helmet Awareness Day. Helmet manufacturers are
    offering minimum 15% discounts at local and national retailers. For more
    information about the event, see this link:

    http://www.chronofh orse.com/ article/national -helmet-awarenes s-day-july-
    10<http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/national-helmet-awareness-day-july-10>

    A list of participating retailers is available here:
    http://www.riders4h elmets.com/ ?page_id=
    781<http://www.riders4h+elmets.com/+?page_id=+781>
    In memory of Lady Rhiannon (SCA rider killed in an un-helmeted fall
    during a trail ride near her home last year) , I am going to buy a new
    helmet myself.
    Discovered a crack in the shell of my Tipperary helmet on Sunday. Doesn't
    seem to extend into the foam under the shell but cracks on the outer edge of
    a helmet can signal damage inside it.

    ariadne
  • andrea stilwell
    Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
      Thank you for the timely reminder. NO ONE should get on a horses back without a helmet! EVER!

      As Always,
      Y.I.S.

      Lady Aeschine Mackintosh of Bannockburn (formerly known as Colleen)
      When in doubt, hug your horse!!

      Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
        My Philosophy is, when I am a good enough rider, then no horse can toss me, then I wont need a helmet...

        Unfortunatly, I am not that good yet..
        So.. bucket head.

        plus I would hate my obit to say ... " and she was not wearing a helmet."

        LZO!

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, andrea stilwell <dreagonflymom@...> wrote:

        > Thank you for the timely reminder. NO ONE should get on a horses back without a helmet! EVER!
        >

        > As Always,
        > Y.I.S.
        >
        > Lady Aeschine Mackintosh of Bannockburn (formerly known as Colleen)
        > When in doubt, hug your horse!!

      • Troy Griffith
        Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010

          It is the best riders who most need to wear helmets… When they come off it is always under the most dire circumstances.  If it takes a catastrophic event to get you off, then you best be prepared for that.

          Just my position. That being said, I ride with a helmet on about 90% of the time, and always when training a horse, even Orion who has never lost a rider (knock on wood there).  My Lady found a great trick to get to wear mine helmet more often… she bought be a very expensive jumping helmet “I paid all the money and you just leave it hanging there?”  ;>

          William Brannan (An Tir)

          href="http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/national-helmet-awareness-day-july-10">http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/national-helmet-awareness-day-july-10>

          > A list of participating retailers is available here:
          > http://www.riders4h elmets.com/
          ?page_id=
          > 781<http://www.riders4h+elmets.com/+?page_id=+781>
          > In memory of Lady Rhiannon (SCA rider killed in an un-helmeted fall
          > during a trail ride near her home last year) , I am going to buy a new
          > helmet myself.
          > Discovered a crack in the shell of my Tipperary helmet on Sunday. Doesn't
          > seem to extend into the foam under the shell but cracks on the outer edge
          of
          > a helmet can signal damage inside it.
          >
          > ariadne

        • DIANNE KARP
          Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
            > It is the best riders who most need to wear helmets… When they come off
            > itis always under the most dire circumstances. If it takes a
            catastrophic event to get you off, then you best be prepared for that.

            > William Brannan (An Tir)

            Knowing Lady Z, she was being tongue in cheek - as in "never good enough'.

            Having said that, I agree - it is the good rider who is most in need
            since we are more likely to be 'pushing the envelope'. While we are less
            likely to come off trotting around the arena, when we do come off it is
            often under more spectacular conditions.

            However, even the most experienced rider can be taken unawares by a dead
            broke horse stumbling or suddenly shying at a bird under its feet - and,
            falling, hit our pointly little noggins on a rock. That is what killed
            Rhiannon. A trail ride and an unexpected fall at a moderate pace on a
            broke horse. Her head was not harder than the ground she hit.

            Siobhan
          • Ellen of the Western Wind
            Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
              --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "DIANNE KARP" <diannekarp@...> wrote:

              > > It is the best riders who most need to wear helmets… When they come off
              > > itis always under the most dire circumstances. If it takes a
              > catastrophic event to get you off, then you best be prepared for that.
              >
              > > William Brannan (An Tir)
              > >

              > Knowing Lady Z, she was being tongue in cheek - as in "never good enough'.
              >
              > Having said that, I agree - it is the good rider who is most in need
              > since we are more likely to be 'pushing the envelope'. While we are less
              > likely to come off trotting around the arena, when we do come off it is
              > often under more spectacular conditions.
              >
              > However, even the most experienced rider can be taken unawares by a dead
              > broke horse stumbling or suddenly shying at a bird under its feet - and,
              > falling, hit our pointly little noggins on a rock. That is what killed
              > Rhiannon. A trail ride and an unexpected fall at a moderate pace on a
              > broke horse. Her head was not harder than the ground she hit.
              >
              > Siobhan

              > You can also be hit with a stray hoof once you do come off, (you don't necessarily have to hit your head).

              Ellen