Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Equestrian track at Collegium?

  • Autumn Cardone
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
      Alessandro and I have been talking about my teaching a class on horse safety. He thinks that there would be enough interest (there is always a need when there are people around who have not had the chance to own their own horses and work with them continuously) for me to teach a class on this. I don't know if this is what Bethia was thinking of teaching.

      Alessandro was also suggesting I teach a class on ground work. (Again possibly overlapping what Bethia was thinking of teaching.) We were thinking about trying to bring our 2 horses to help create interest and use as visual aids. :-)

      Maybe we four should talk, and see what each is thinking of teaching so that we could both teach and make our classes of reasonable length. (Mine usually end up 4-8 hours, so I will need to figure out what I should be talking about -- one topic only -- and plan the class out so that I can cover the topic in one or two class periods.) :-)

      Is Bethia on this list?

      -- Collett

      ------------------------------------
      Rachael O'Brien wrote:

       Greetings all-
      I was talking to Bethia the other night, and she is really excited about
      equestrian activities.  She has volunteered to teach a class on basic "Horse
      how to/etiquette" at Collegium.

      I was wondering if we could have a mini-equestrian track (maybe three
      courses for an afternoon track) at Collegiun with the addition of...oh, say
      a horse garb class (Genevieve?  Did you want to make that El Cega
      pattern?... :-) No pressure!)

      This is a really new area to most of the populace, so anything goes as far
      as what members of this list might teach a class on.  Some ideas I had were:
      - differences between english and western trained horses/riding
      - Horse tack hands on/where to find horse gear cheap (Troxel helmets,etc.)
      - making equestrian games equipment

      Unfortunately, its the weekend before my wedding, so I can't attend
      Collegium.  Anyone interested in adding to Bethia's class?

      In service,
      Lady Marguerite
      Mists Equestrian Officer

    • Anne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
        (Trying out the reply "thingie", again - looks like it may work, but it
        seems like we will get a lot of double posting by "reply all".
        Unfortunately, these infernal machines are not my forte. (If you can't take
        its temperature or listen to its heart, I am out of my league!))

        This sounds good..... no, I take that back.....
        It sounds GREAT!
        October is WAY to far for me to make firm commitments on, but I would be
        interested in teaching, or helping where needed, and expect that I will be
        able to "make it work."

        > - differences between English and western trained horses/riding

        ~I could teach this, if we really thought there would be an interest.
        Unfortunately, unless we get into the details of balance, forward motion,
        etc., I don't think it would fill a 1:15 hr class. And getting into that
        kind of detail (which we could "talk about for hours :-}) isn't really a
        subject for beginners.

        Good classes with "non-horsy (but curious) and beginning-horsy" appeal would
        be useful, I think.
        Suggestions?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
          I know that I would sure like to see a class on comparative clothing, barding, and tack in different areas/countries/cultures in history. This could be a great inspiration for dressing people and horses for the future.

          Remember, if necessary classes can take 2 periods. (I think that the above one would have to to cover enough information.)

          -- Collett

          --------------------------------

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
            Humm...

            I just noticed that you were talking about Collegium, while I was thinking A&S, which is supposed to be at Bort Meadows.

            -- Collett

            ------------------------------------

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2002
              From: "Toni Whyte" <tlwhyte@...>

              > I'm also in the process of figuring out some costuming issues, and I
              > will hopefully get my hands on a model horse *soon* to make a mock-up of
              > the trappings in Alcega. I'd be willing to do a "lessons learned" talk
              > on this. I'd also be willing to help research historical tack et al.
              > Perhaps Ann and I could work on this?

              ~ I tried to warn you that you were in danger of becoming my
              "cohort-in-crime".... Bwaahhhh hhaahh hhaahh!

              I would love to work on this with you. Will contact you privately or IRL.

              ~ Anne