9070Re: talk about bad articles!!!!!!

  • Henrik Olsgaard
    Jul 1, 2009
      Now see, this is really confusing. I thought draft horses were bred by the ansestors of the Incas in the high Andes mountains, because they didn't have wheels, to carry heavy loads. Then the ice age set in - starting at the tops of the highest mountains and working down to the lowlands. The ice age then drove the drafts up into Montana where the Tyranosaurs ate most of them. Recent discovery of a fosilised tyranosaur mummy has allowed scientists to do radiographic studies of this tyranosaur, including it's internal organs and they've found it's stomach and the food it ate. There seem to be distinct evidence it included a draft horse, according to the national inquirer magazine! And bat boy was riding it!

      From there the remaining few draft horses were driven by the advancing ice, north westerly to the Bearing Strait where they encountered the first wave of the most recent humans migrating from Asia, who were hungry and ate them. A very few of the draft horses managed to hide in the snow there by pretending to be "drifts" ( clearly a corruption of the word "draft") and were passed by. They then, continued into Siberia where they were able to find a place to live on the steppes. Over time the remaining draft horses got used to the windy drafts ( again a clear connection with that breed) on the steppes by hunching down when the wind blew, and became shorter. Then the local humans caught them and domesticated them . Some of those horses were then taken to warmer climates where the wind didn't blow and they stopped hunching down and so stood taller and became the big draft horses we know today.

      That's how I understood the origins of draft horses. Is that really wrong?

      Henrik

      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "DIANNE KARP" <diannekarp@...> wrote:

      > Did you know that the draft horse began during the ice age!!!!! oh my oh
      > my read on.........
      >
      > Siobhan
      >

      > http://www.equestrianmag.com/article.php?story=power_behind_the_draft
      >
      > Power Behind the Draft
      > An EquestrianMag Exclusive Article
      >
      > It is quite possible that the United States of America would not have
      > been able to build the strong industry is has today without the help of
      > the draft horse. These horses have aided this country through the
      > Industrial Revolution, World War I, and even play a vital role today.
      > Known as an icon of strength and power, draft horses are the "gentle
      > giants" of the equine species.
      >
      > A "draft" horse is any horse capable of pulling heavy loads, and that is
      > exactly what these horses do best. The draft horse can vary in size and
      > weight. The height of a draft horse ranges from sixteen to eighteen hands
      > high, and weighs between sixteen hundred and two thousand pounds.
      > Considering other horses typically do not stand higher than fifteen or
      > sixteen hands high, the draft horse seems to tower over other horses when
      > standing side by side.
      >
      > The massive size of a draft horse may be considered intimidating to those
      > unfamiliar with this type of horse, or to those who are accustomed to
      > smaller horses, but the draft horse has a calm, friendly and willing
      > temperament. Once the initial shock of the draft horse's size wears off,
      > however, most horse lovers find this animal to be a very gentle family
      > horse. These excellent qualities coupled with a strong muscular build
      > make the draft a welcomed companion in the field.
      >
      > The draft horse has a history heavy in war, agriculture and
      > industrialism. It is believed that the Ice Age forced groups of horses
      > into sections that were divided by glaciers. Each section developed
      > traits necessary for their survival. It was at this time that the draft
      > horse began to develop.
      >
      > Hundreds of years later the draft horse was domesticated by man. These
      > horses were heavily relied up on during the Medieval period (500-1000
      > A.D.) for their strength and endurance. Medieval knights rode these
      > horses though tough terrain during times of war. Their size, speed and
      > good temperament made then faithful companions on the battlefield. It was
      > also during the Medieval period that the infamous "Black Horse of
      > Flanders" appeared in Europe . This horse is believed to be the "father"
      > of all modern draft horses.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic