7292Re: [WestKingdomEQ] A question for a spring day...

    Apr 1, 2008
      I completely agree with Siobhan, both on the lessons and importance of
      balance/getting off the forehand (although my lessons unfortunately
      cost more than hers! Despite the long commute its good to live in Reno
      some times, eh? :-)

      For example, balance and training is why I only take Brandee (the
      horse I lease) through the heads at a trot - I want her to do the
      course correctly. At the trot this means staying off the
      forehand/light on the reins and leg yielding through the course based
      on my seat aids. But at the canter this means all of the above AND
      either counter cantering (keeping one lead through the heads even when
      she is turning the opposite way) or doing flying lead changes. Its
      not fair at this point in her training to ask her to do either of
      these - therefore I don't. Your mileage may vary! But when she is
      ready to do the heads *correctly* I will do the course at the canter.

      On a rental/unfamiliar horse, I assess their balance and ability that
      day and ride the horse accordingly - not expecting them to know this
      stuff out of the shoot even if they are balanced & OK with
      counter-cantering. But as Siobhan said, training/lessons and practice
      are the key to any activity we do, horse owner or no.
      :-), Marguerite